FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Damn! Got out-sniped again!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Damn! Got out-sniped again!
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-13 06:26 am   Permalink

Any long term Ebayer is going to wait to bid as late as possible. That's the way it works. I usually bid in the last 30 seconds.

But I agree it is an Ebay flaw. If there is a bid in the last 2 minutes, the auction should be extended 5 minutes. It's in Ebay's favor because they get a percentage, especially through PayPal. It's in the seller's favor because they get more money. It's in the bidder's favor because they get a chance to win what they want if they are outbid in the last second.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SullTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-13 07:51 am   Permalink

I always wait until the last 30 sec too. No sense in driving up the bids too early.

Ebay should make extended auctions optional, just like "buy it now" and reserve prices. If a user wishes to end it like normal do nothing. But if you want to extend past the normal auction end, until no bids are received for 5 minutes check this box.

View Profile of SullTiki Send a personal message to SullTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-13 08:34 am   Permalink

Exactly! Goes with the true auction notion of "going once, going twice.... SOLD!"

visit Traderpup.com

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-13 09:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

SullTiki wrote:
Ebay should make extended auctions optional, just like "buy it now" and reserve prices...if you want to extend past the normal auction end, until no bids are received for 5 minutes check this box.

Unfortunately, we are dealing with a medium other than human interaction in ebay auctions: computers.

So, if ebay programs an option to not end until a bid hasn't been received for 1, 2, 5 or so minutes, then there will always be a sniping program developed somewhere to continuously increase bids. Thus, by that measure, you could have a neverending auction since someone would just keep bidding, creating abuse and headaches for ebay, their programming, and most likely have ebay going back to just ending an auction at a set time just like it does now.

My one coconuts worth (I already spent the other one on ebay).

SugarCaddyDaddy

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Steve Kapu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-11-13 10:54 am   Permalink

E-bay sort of does that now by raising your bid up to your max, I'm not sure what benifit a program that does that would be, not that people wouldn't do it just to be schmucks.

Personally I still bid the old fashoned way, though I'm cheap so I bid low and usually get out bid, but on occasion I actually win something, and that just makes it all the sweeter! Maybe I should join the darkside.

Steve

Quote:

Unfortunately, we are dealing with a medium other than human interaction in ebay auctions: computers.

So, if ebay programs an option to not end until a bid hasn't been received for 1, 2, 5 or so minutes, then there will always be a sniping program developed somewhere to continuously increase bids. Thus, by that measure, you could have a neverending auction since someone would just keep bidding, creating abuse and headaches for ebay, their programming, and most likely have ebay going back to just ending an auction at a set time just like it does now.

My one coconuts worth (I already spent the other one on ebay).

SugarCaddyDaddy

[ This Message was edited by: Steve Kapu on 2002-11-13 10:57 ]

View Profile of Steve Kapu Send a personal message to Steve Kapu  Email Steve Kapu Goto the website of Steve Kapu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-13 10:55 am   Permalink

<<So, if ebay programs an option to not end until a bid hasn't been received for 1, 2, 5 or so minutes, then there will always be a sniping program developed somewhere to continuously increase bids. Thus, by that measure, you could have a neverending auction since someone would just keep bidding, creating abuse and headaches for ebay, their programming, and most likely have ebay going back to just ending an auction at a set time just like it does now.>>

That's not a problem. If people keep bidding up the price, you keep going until some quits. It means people reach their limits and quit. The real problem would be whn you get in that bidding frenzy and bid more than you planned because you just wanted to win! But that's not the seller or Ebay's problem.

If they think sniping is a problem, this is the solution. Any bids in the last 5 minutes extends the auction one hour. That gives all interested parties a chance to rebid, and not just the person sitting there watching. But one hour may not be good enough. If the auction ends in the middle of the night and you don't know you werre outbid until the next morning... So, it would need to be extended 24 hours. That gives bidders enough time to respond.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiManiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-13 9:11 pm   Permalink

For those of you who like Westpac tiki mugs, here is an auction with a matching pair...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=735748663

View Profile of TikiManiac Send a personal message to TikiManiac      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-14 08:47 am   Permalink

Thanks for the heads-up Tiki Maniac. I happen to already have that one. The first auction I posted intrigued me because I saw a fourth Westpac that I've never seen before & never knew existed. I always thought there were only three. The mug in question is the one on the far right:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=732486791&rd=1

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-11-14 12:06 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokomoTikiBar&Grill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-14 08:51 am   Permalink

Hey Pop! Did you get your mug?

[ This Message was edited by: kokomotikibar&grill on 2002-11-14 10:41 ]

View Profile of KokomoTikiBar&Grill Send a personal message to KokomoTikiBar&Grill      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiManiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-14 10:06 am   Permalink

I have the one on the far right...Would anyone be willing to buy it from me or trade for it?

View Profile of TikiManiac Send a personal message to TikiManiac      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-14 12:07 pm   Permalink

TikiManiac,
I would definitely be willing to buy/trade for that mug! Contact me at
polynesianpop@yahoo.com. Maybe we can work something out.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-14 12:09 pm   Permalink

Kokomo,
Yes, I got the mug. What else can I say but SWEEEEET! I bid on that mug specifically because of the poppy seed glaze you did. I also wanted to get the tall one with the big eyes & lips but forgot about it and the auction closed!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

TikiManiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-15 07:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-11-14 12:07, PolynesianPop wrote:
TikiManiac,
I would definitely be willing to buy/trade for that mug! Contact me at polynesianpop@yahoo.com. Maybe we can work something out.

I sent you an email PolynesianPop!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiManiac on 2002-11-15 07:18 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation