FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Kon-Tiki Raft Voyage to be Re-Created!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Kon-Tiki Raft Voyage to be Re-Created!
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 02:14 am   Permalink

update!

LIMA, Peru - Nearly 60 years after Thor Heyerdahl's Pacific Ocean crossing aboard the balsa raft Kon-Tiki, a Norwegian team is in Peru putting final touches on a new vessel to repeat the journey.

"I think we are mentally prepared and we are really, really anxious to put this raft in the ocean," said Olav Heyerdahl, 28, the adventurer's grandson and one of the six-member crew.

Behind him in a dry-dock in Lima's port of Callao loomed the balsa raft Tangaroa named for the Polynesian god of the ocean which is scheduled to set sail April 28.

The expedition had been set for last year, but was postponed after key sponsors diverted funds to help victims of the 2004 Southeast Asian tsunami.

In 1947, Thor Heyerdahl and his team sailed their primitive raft 5,000 miles from Peru to Polynesia in 101 days to support Heyerdahl's theory that the South Sea Islands were settled by ancient mariners from South America. Heyerdahl, who died in 2002 at age 87, documented his voyage in the best-selling book "Kon-Tiki" and in an Oscar-winning documentary film.

The adverturer's 67-year-old son, Thor Heyerdahl Jr., came to Peru to see the new vessel and cheer on his own son. "I'm very happy for him that he gets this opportunity," he said.

The new 56-foot vessel is larger than the Kon-Tiki, with eight crossbeams lashed to 11 balsa logs from Ecuador and covered by a bamboo deck. Atop a hardwood cabin, the crew fitted a thatched-reed roof made by Aymara Indians.

The Kon-Tiki carried only the most basic equipment, even by 1947 standards. But the Tangaroa features abundant modern technology, including solar panels to generate electricity and satellite navigation and communications gear.

"We have seen this project grow from just an idea, a dream, and then suddenly you are 10 days away from being on the raft on the sea," said Swedish filmmaker Anders Berg, who will document the journey. "It's like pregnancy, I would say."

The Kon-Tiki was equipped with a primitive sail and could not navigate against the wind. Its journey ended when it foundered on a reef near Tahiti.

A large, square sail of woven Peruvian cotton will be mounted on the Tangaroa this week.

Team leader Torgeir Saeverud Higraff said such sails were common in prehistoric Peru, and much better than Thor Heyerdahl could have imagined in 1947.

Spanish chroniclers wrote centuries ago of Inca lords who sailed the Pacific on large, navigable balsa vessels nearly 70 years before the conquistadors came to Peru in 1532, he said.

The expedition is a $800,000 venture backed by the Norwegian Environment Ministry, private businesses and Heyerdahl's hometown of Larvik, Norway.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-29 3:16 pm   Permalink

..and away they go.......Kon-tiki set sail once again this past friday....article in today's chicago tibune.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secos_Sam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-30 10:36 am   Permalink

here is a link to the story and a slideshow

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060429/lf_afp/afplifestyleperunorway_060429190754

View Profile of Secos_Sam Send a personal message to Secos_Sam  Goto the website of Secos_Sam     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amiotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 10:55 am   Permalink

This is an interesting and cool adventure, but I'm curious about something...

Why are they going backwards? What I mean is, wasn't Heyerdahl's hypothesis that the peopling of the Americas originated in Polynesia (roughly)? So wouldn't it be more accurate and scientifically valuable for these guys to sail TO Peru rather than FROM Peru?

Just thinking out loud what has puzzled me (and most of the other anthropologists I know) for many years...

Cheers,

amio

View Profile of amiotiki Send a personal message to amiotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 10:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-30 10:55, amiotiki wrote:
This is an interesting and cool adventure, but I'm curious about something...

Why are they going backwards? What I mean is, wasn't Heyerdahl's hypothesis that the peopling of the Americas originated in Polynesia (roughly)? So wouldn't it be more accurate and scientifically valuable for these guys to sail TO Peru rather than FROM Peru?

Just thinking out loud what has puzzled me (and most of the other anthropologists I know) for many years...

Cheers,

amio

No, Heyerdahl's proposition was that Polynesia could be populated from South America.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 10:59 am   Permalink

....no....the point was to prove that the islands were populated by travelers from the mainland of south america. they didn't appear on the islands and then sail away to populate the americas. they had to come from somewhere other than the islands first, and thor's mission proved it was entirely possible, if not what actually happened....be confused no longer my friend!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 11:00 am   Permalink

looks like we tied in our replies freddie!!

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 11:21 am   Permalink

hmmm, Out of Africa, up thru Europe, across China and Russia, tiptoe across the Bering Strait, down thru the Americas and across to Polynesia.....OR, Out of Africa, camel ride thru Egypt and the Middle East, across Iran, India, Burma, Thailand to Vietnam and paddle across to Philippines/Malaysia, Indonesia, New Guinea and on to Polynesia. hmmm. I'm out of breath and my feet hurt.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amiotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 2:40 pm   Permalink

AAHHH! I see now what the program is...I had it backwards!

I just love paleoanthropology - there are so many possibilities for the peopling of various regions of the world, and still so little evidence to really firmly support any one of them as the most likely scenario. My hope is that new technologies and more archaeology will show that there were likely several migrations that utilized both the Bering land bridge AND trans-Pacific sailing (in both directions).

I do believe that people have been seafarers much longer than many 'experts' are willing to acknowledge. Of course, their seafaring adventures may not have always been intentional...

"oops, where on earth are we now?"

Good thread - and I look forward to hearing more about this round of Kon-Tiki!

View Profile of amiotiki Send a personal message to amiotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-25 08:12 am   Permalink

Since the launch of April 28, I haven't heard much about the Tangaroa's voyage. I found a cool site which shows pictures and daily logs by the crew. Check it out!

http://tangaroa.nettblogg.no/index.html

Start with their current posting, and you can click back on the calendar to see previous postings and pictures.

- Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-25 7:47 pm   Permalink

THANKS for the link. I too was wanting to keep tabs on the progress. I read the whole log. Sounds as if they are doing GREAT! Bon voyage Tangaroa!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-12 09:14 am   Permalink

The Tangaroa reaches the island of Raroia! http://tangaroa.nettblogg.no/english.html

- Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-12 12:21 pm   Permalink

Re: Re-voyage of Kon-Tiki!
The Kon-tiki paper back has 70 pix in it! And I remember Dwight Long (my sailing mentor,) who had a Lecture series for years called "Arm Chair Adventures", introducng me to Thor Hyerdahl! His lecture was really hard to see because they had so much trouble! And so many storms, and the craft was so unseaworthy! I've sailed probably 40,000 miles of blue water cruising.. and I was probably 17 when I saw his lecture.. and it still impresses me it was so rigorous!
A few years ago, I came across another adventure that Hyerdahl had in the Marquesas, where he and his new bride had lived for 2 years. It was PRIMITIVE!!! I couldn't evne imagine doing that.. so all-in-all.. he was certainly an adventurer! I look forward to the grandson's lecture.. and will take "patches" along!!! (only kidding!)
Maybe somebody can get them to put the original voyage on DVD!

r in videos

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-24 11:01 am   Permalink

Whoops! Lost track of this one. If you missed it, you'll be happy to know the crew of the Tangaroa made it. Hooray! Toast their success with some kind of rum drink.

http://www.pacificislands.cc/pina/pinadefault2.php?urlpinaid=23764

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-24 11:03 am   Permalink

Better link:

http://tangaroa.nettblogg.no/english.html

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation