FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Return of the Crusher!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Return of the Crusher!!!
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 12:29 am   Permalink

Okay. This is not a song by the Ramones (oh, yeah... like that's gonna happen) or the Cramps or Southern Culture on the Skids...

The Ice Crusher is Back!!!

I own a vintage electric Regal Ice-O-Matic and bow down to it's Ice Crushing Ability! I've, also, spent the last few years looking for a newer model, only to find that Ice Crushers went out of style about the time that Marijuana came in.

Suddenly...! The New Wave of Ice Crushers has appeared!!! Check these out...

The Deni 6000 Ice Crusher (about $30 in most cases)

and the Waring Pro Ice Crusher (about $80 in most cases)

Either of them is worth every penny.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 12:34 am   Permalink

Ooh, good to see. A warning to the uninitiated in the quest for an ice crusher -- ice shavers are everywhere, and they make great snow-cone ice, but that's not generally what you're looking for when you're making a Mai Tai, you want your ice a little coarser. You want an ice crusher. Great to see that search is getting a little easier.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-29 00:35 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 6:19 pm   Permalink

Vic,
Great news! Thanks. I had given up looking for a modern crusher. I've got a stable of Ice-O-Matics, but was already dreading that day, someday, when I'd be back to pounding a zip-loc bag of ice cubes with a meat tenderizer.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theARTFINK
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-29 8:33 pm   Permalink

my ice crusher is pretty old,but still does a sweet job.
it has these little arms that swing around inside and crush the ice. you can set it for different size crush but I don't know if this really works. is this how the new ones work or do they use lasers?

also "the Crusher", the band i think your looking for is the Novas!!!

View Profile of theARTFINK Send a personal message to theARTFINK  Email theARTFINK Goto the website of theARTFINK     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacksandz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 9:48 pm   Permalink

Yes, The Cramps covered "The Crusher". The band the "Novas" from Minn. are the originator(60's) of this song! TheARTFINK is right on with this call! The song is about the wrestling giant Reggie "The Crusher" Lisowski(50's through the 60's). I know, who cares! Enough of this useless info.! Traitor, where do I get my hands on the Deni 6000 ice crusher? Anyone?

View Profile of blacksandz Send a personal message to blacksandz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-30 4:28 pm   Permalink

I picked up really cheap swing-arm crusher at Party City for a couple of bucks until I can buy a "real" one. It'll do the trick for a little while.

And when I think of "The Crusher," I think of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where he takes on the pro wrestler named "The Crusher"!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 7:47 pm   Permalink

I found a really great one on eBay a while back it is about 30 years old all metal and it attachs to a standard oster blender.

They always have a bunch of them on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OSTERIZER-BLENDER-ICER-ICE-CRUSHER-ATTACHMENT_W0QQitemZ4407821463QQcategoryZ20685QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Oster-Osterizer-Ice-Maker-Attachment-Crusher-Blender_W0QQitemZ6213209677QQcategoryZ982QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/OSTER-Ice-Crusher-Accessory-Kitchen-Center-Blender_W0QQitemZ6213597142QQcategoryZ982QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mine is like these but it is crome steel.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 9:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-30 16:28, Rum Balls wrote:
I picked up really cheap swing-arm crusher at Party City for a couple of bucks until I can buy a "real" one. It'll do the trick for a little while.

And when I think of "The Crusher," I think of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where he takes on the pro wrestler named "The Crusher"!

Theeeee Crusher!!!!!

That's exactly what ran through my head when I read the thread title.

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-01 12:03 am   Permalink

Yeah I know the Novas did The Crusher originally. I was just mentioning a few more modern(?) ensembles who have flirted with songs and subjects of that nature. Good call, though, artFINK!

Amazon has the Deni 6000 (
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002AU11Q/102-7454382-8454511?v=glance ) for $29.99 but if you just run a Google search on it you get, like, 12,500 hits. One of them is from Target so you might wanna just check there and avoid paying for shipping.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-01 05:06 am   Permalink

I thought you were talking about "The Crusher, The Man Who Made Milwaukee Famous"

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-02 01:32 am   Permalink

I have an Ice-O-Mat in turquoise (of course). It's OK for small quantities, but a bit impractical when you're making a lot of drinks.

My brother's expensive big-ass fridge serves up both ice cubes AND crushed ice from the door dispenser thing. Just press the button....

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-02 7:47 pm   Permalink

Ah, yeah! That reminds me. Our fridge door does that too. Unfortunately, the crushed ice that it puts out is rarely of a consistent quality. Some really tiny pieces, some medium and, on occassion, an entire cube or two that slipped through the cracks. I have a vintage Iona blender with an ice crusher attachment that performs at about the same level. This will do, of course, but it's not like the ice that comes in a Mai Tai at Trader Vic's and that's what I'm after. Our refrigerator is about a decade old now, so the newer models may have improved tremendously.

Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 11:48 am   Permalink

We recently added the Waring Pro ice crusher to our bar collection (we also have their blender). I have to say they're both well worth the expense!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-12 12:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-01 05:06, finkdaddy wrote:
I thought you were talking about "The Crusher, The Man Who Made Milwaukee Famous"

That looks like Hulk Gingrich! Or Newt Hogan!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 12:28 pm   Permalink

The crusher I now use is vintage and the best. It's an Oster SnoFlake like THIS ONE.

I've used a few in my day. I have tried the hand crank jobs and they can look way cool, but generally blow. Melt more ice than they crush, and just wear you out for a small batch. I have had a few electric ones too and they help, but have a similar flaw. They dump the ice in a drawer or something and you end up with melted ice (I think that's called water) all over.

I finally came across a beauty in a thrift store in Bristol for 99 cents that is perfect. It top loads, so you can just about pour cubes into it. It does dump into a tray, but it sits on the tray so you can just as easily set it on top of your ice bucket and it drops right in place and you can go through a whole bag of ice in no time.

Just search Ebay for "oster electric ice crusher"

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation