FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Bamboo Ben Masterpiece
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Bamboo Ben Masterpiece
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 09:28 am   Permalink

Wow!

This project has been just magnificent! What a room! What a tiki! Ben and Al are impeccable craftsmen and will surely be legends in our culture for decades to come, but I so admire your devotion to their art with these commissions, Lee. Great patrons like you not only inspire great artworks, but inspire us all to dream a little larger.

Mahalo nui loa. - HodadHank

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-15 4:25 pm   Permalink

As promised, here are some detail photos of Al's amazing creation, as well as some more detail shots of the room. Tonight I'll take some "night" shots of the room so you can see the mostly-finished room in all its glory.

The detail work on Al's tiki is staggering. These photos aren't quite the same as experiencing the tiki in person, but it's the closest I can do!

http://tiki.unkrich.com/tiki_hideaway/

Enjoy...

- Tiki Lee

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee 2006-04-15 16:26 ]

View Profile of Tiki Lee Send a personal message to Tiki Lee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-15 5:42 pm   Permalink

What an tremendous tiki. The family symbolism turned out great. No wonder Crazy Al wanted to keep this a secret. I've been checking this post for a long while hoping to see it.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-15 7:20 pm   Permalink

I don't think it can be said enough - that is THE most beautiful tiki hidaway I have ever seen. I don't think I would spend time in any other room. Ben and C'Al have really outdone themselves

Lee, thank you so much for sharing your little piece of aloha with us.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-15 7:32 pm   Permalink

Dude, you guys are f*ckin NUTS! (Best Ali-G snap...) "Reeespe-cccc"..

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-15 10:42 pm   Permalink

As promised, I've added some night shots of the room:

http://tiki.unkrich.com/tiki_hideaway/

As awesome as the room looks during the day, it really comes alive after dark. It's nearly finished -- besides a cushion for Ben's window bench, the only things I'm still working on are a corner chair and ottoman. I'm getting these, from LaneVenture:

Of course, there will always be more and more art and tiki knick-knacks, that goes without saying.

Picture the ceiling fan lazily turning, many of the lights gently flickering as if lit by candles, and the forbidden sounds of Martin Denny drifting from the speakers hidden in the ceiling.

A little paradise in Northern California.

Next project: A mug of the tiki to give out to guests lucky enough to spend the night in the room.

-- Tiki Lee

View Profile of Tiki Lee Send a personal message to Tiki Lee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-16 06:59 am   Permalink

Adn Lucky guests they will be to stay in such a superbtiki room. Your pride is showing through and Well Justified too. The Night shots really add something to the room just not seen in the daylight. WOW. I'm only a teency weency bit JEALOUS!
Thanks again!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-16 10:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-15 22:42, Tiki Lee wrote:
Picture the ceiling fan lazily turning, many of the lights gently flickering as if lit by candles, and the forbidden sounds of Martin Denny drifting from the speakers hidden in the ceiling.

... and a lovely wahine with come hither eyes...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-16 6:49 pm   Permalink

Man! That's coming along quite nicely! I'm totally envious.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-17 11:37 pm   Permalink

Awesome - totally jaw dropping.

The room has so much detail, but still holds together beautifully.

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 8:07 pm   Permalink

Lee,

I found the site with all the photos before it dawned on me that this was YOUR place!! O M G !! What an amazing room!! The farther along I went through the photos the lower my jaw dropped! What really kicked me in the head, though, was Crazy Al's Marq. It looked like a really nice carving - until I saw the detail shots - and then it blew my mind! You are seriously blessed, dude, in many MANY ways! You could sell tickets! (I'd buy one.)

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2006-05-04 20:08 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-05 05:59 am   Permalink

I'm still waiting on my TikiMagazine but holy crap. Just seen the C'Al pics today and its a true work of art that will stand the test of time. TikiLee, do you ever even leave your bedroom?, I wounldn't. I think "TikiArt III" has to be held here this year.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 7:59 pm   Permalink

WOW!!!

That is beatiful! A true credit to everyone involved

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-22 9:08 pm   Permalink

So, a large amount of extra bamboo, matting, rope, etc. has been sitting in my garage for months. Ben had some leftovers, and I just couldn't bear to chuck it. However, my wife's out of town with the kids this week, so I took a day off and decided to clean out the house. I got a big dumpster in the driveway, and first thing this morning, started filling it up. As much as I hated to just toss it, the first stuff that went in was all the excess tiki room stuff.

A couple hours later, two delivery guys showed up with a treadmill we just bought. After they assembled it, one of the guys said "Are you just throwing this bamboo out? I've been building a bad-ass tiki set-up in my back yard -- I could use it."

So of course I said, "Bad-ass? You wanna see bad-ass?"

After they gawked at the Tiki Hideaway, we went back out and they loaded their delivery truck with every last scrap of boo, rope, matting, even some scrap boards that Ben had tested his routing on.

I was so happy to see it head off somewhere where it will live the tiki life. A little moment of Tiki Karma.

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-22 11:53 pm   Permalink

Tiki Lee!
You have proven that tiki dreams really do come true!Your home looks incredible!That attention to detail and the additional drama with the lighting....Wow! Congratulations to you and BambooBen-Genius and Madman!You two are keeping the dream alive!Now when are you having that Luau?

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation