FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Bamboo Ben Masterpiece
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Bamboo Ben Masterpiece
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 10:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

p.s.s. crab cooker next weekend!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Crab Cooker!!!! I love that place!!!
Ben your hard work looks freakin great man!!!

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale 2005-10-16 10:36 ]

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-16 1:09 pm   Permalink

Sunday afternoon, and Ben's still at it. He's a man with a mission. That crazed look in his eyes is not the result of shooting a nail into his knuckle yesterday. it's pure unbridled tiki fever -- the fever I imagine he gets when he's nearing completion on one of his masterpieces.

We're down to the last few days here, and things look great. He's added a couple of cool tapa sconces, and we're getting ready to age the rattan-covered doors. The bathroom's nearing completion as well. All that's needed at this point is some final detail work, and then we get to start hanging the art. More later.

http://tiki.unkrich.com/tiki_hideaway/index.html

View Profile of Tiki Lee Send a personal message to Tiki Lee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 10:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-16 13:09, Tiki Lee wrote:

... da crreeep...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 06:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-29 09:35, Swanky wrote:
Even better, I bet Ben did it all himself. No helper. Way to go!

Cheers!

Actually, Tiki Lee will be doing some of the final finishing touches on the room in the next few weeks. He mastered some faux tricks while I was still there and will do them when time permits.

Making a dresser for the closet in the next few weeks also.

The funny thing about that TV hut-ch is that I used mother of pearl for the inlays that I bought at a shell shop a few weeks ago. After I finished up the Tiki Hideaway last week I drove further north to help my mom move down here and I acquired 2, 5-gallon buckets of abalone pieces that Eli used to use for inlays in his tikis and furniture and my Aunt Flo Ann used in her shell and rock art that many of you collect now days.

Basement Kahuna might be doing a piece for the room so I'll send him some for his inlays. Got to keep the tiki karma flowing.....

p.s. C'Al is starting the tiki today ( at my shop of course . I'll keep an eye on him (slacker!) ( lol) (Arrrr!!)and post some progress pics too.

Cheers!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 07:59 am   Permalink

separated at birth?

arrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

beautiful work, to all involved in this great project. this is what keeps me coming back to TC. this, and the cheese color discussions.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 9:02 pm   Permalink

Phase 2.

The Art.

The beginning of the "Tiki Lee Family Tiki Tree."

By Crazy Al Evans. (aka C'Al)

More to come..........

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 9:50 pm   Permalink

This thread just keeps getting better and better . Ben is that yours or Al's black lowered crewcab in the background?

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigik
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-25 10:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Tiki Lee wrote:
After years of longing for a tiki room
I could call my own, ... I called in
the big gun: Bamboo Ben....

I hope that my "beginning to be planned
in my head" tiki room is HALF as cool!
Congratulations on your project! And
congrats to Bamboo Ben on the execution
of your dream (and, no, I DON'T mean
that he killed it; I've seen how some
of the denizens here handle a straight
line like THAT).

View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 6:45 pm   Permalink

I can see the clowning arounf=d starting already. Post pix of those logs after you mess'em up OK C'AL.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 9:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-25 21:50, rodeotiki wrote:
This thread just keeps getting better and better . Ben is that yours or Al's black lowered crewcab in the background?

Rodeo,

That's Crazy Al's lowered crewcab in the background. The Tiki Sled!

I own the rust bucket just behind.

Benz, whadda mean "Clowning Around" ??

This is a serious "Confunktion Junction!!!"

Arrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 10:07 pm   Permalink

Thats the best tiki sled there is.

[ This Message was edited by: rodeotiki 2005-11-14 19:06 ]

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-27 8:32 pm   Permalink

Sorry I haven't been posting any new pictures! I've been swamped. There is progress, though. The painters painted the trim on all the doors, and then I need to apply the top secret tiki sauce recipe Ben taught me to make the finish look old and weathered. I'd teach it to you all, but before he left, Ben implanted a little probe in my cranium, and whenever I talk about anything secret he taught me, I get a zap. Then I can't blink my eyes in unison for the next three hours, and I drool uncontrollably.

I have minor trim work to do here and there, and then I need to get the carpet cleaned. After that, I can finally move the furniture in and start putting the room to good use.

Oh, and Ben's building one last piece for me: a chest of drawers to go in the closet. It'll sit right under the nifty Gilligan's Island clothes hanging bars.

Photos this weekend. Promise.

View Profile of Tiki Lee Send a personal message to Tiki Lee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-06 8:46 pm   Permalink

Okay, so I'm a week late, but I finally have some new photos of the room. The room's pretty cleaned up, and is just awaiting carpet cleaning before I move all the furniture in. I started hanging a little art, though there's a long way to go on that front. The devil's in the details. Ben will be coming by this week with a bamboo dresser to put in the closet, and in a couple of weeks he'll finish a small storage closet when you first enter the room.

Ben's TV cabinet will look great in there, as will a bench he built to go under the windows. I'm a little worried that our old bed and nightstands will no longer work, given how amazing a job Ben did. It's a 50's Heywood Wakefield bed. I guess we'll move it in and see how it works. If worse comes to worse, we'll replace it with a more rustic bamboo bed.

After I get all the furniture back in there, I'll post a few QuickTime movies so you can see how cool the flicker lighting circuit looks.

Finally, I added a few "before" pictures so you could see how lame and half-assed the room was before we started. And yet people would come in and say "wow... exotic..."

You have no idea, I'd think to myself.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 06:01 am   Permalink

Man those new photos are sweet! It just keeps getting better and better! Them peoples who thought it was exotic before are gonna flip their lids!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 06:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-06 20:46, Tiki Lee wrote:
And yet people would come in and say "wow... exotic..."

You have no idea, I'd think to myself.

I tried to keep this a secret but I'm horrible at secrets.

Here is the top of the dresser. The abalone shells came from the "last stash" that I recently found of my Grandfather Eli Hedley (the Original Beachcomber).

I wanted to do something special for Tiki Lee's room. Kind of a signature piece with a little "tiki karma" from the past(like 55 year old abalone shells).

Here is the front of the dresser.

The tiki even has eyes of "Eli Abalone."

This last picture is tripping me out. It's got that "ghostly white stuff" floating in it. Could this be a sign from Eli?? Kind of a pat on the back?? I got chills when I saw it!!!

-------
I'm stealing Crazy Al for a couple of weeks to be my "right hand man" for the Kona Club install up in Oakland starting Tuesday 11/8. So, no progress pics on the Tiki he is doing for the room for a lil' bit. But it has been coming along rather nice. I have a funny feeling that this C'Al Tiki is going to be the top of his game!!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation