FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Any Tiki-Christmas Drink Recipes?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Any Tiki-Christmas Drink Recipes?
poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-09 4:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-09 09:44, MrBaliHai wrote:

Here's another riff on the classic Tom and Jerry recipe:

Tabonga and Jerry

1/2 cup of Tom and Jerry batter
1 oz. Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
1 oz. Presidente Mexican Brandy
1/2 oz. Fresh-squeezed Lime Juice
1/2 oz. Falernum

Add all ingredients to a tiki mug with a handle, then add boiling-hot water to fill. Dust with ground nutmeg and garnish with a cinnamon stick.

That sounds amazing. I like a Tom and Jerry on a cold night as well as a variation called the Fernet and Jerry which uses 1 oz Fernet Branca instead of the rum and brandy but I make both of them with hot milk or a 50/50 blend of hot milk and hot water. I'm guessing the straight water with this one works best due to the lime juice? Regardless, I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: poutineki 2012-12-09 16:51 ]

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-09 6:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-09 16:49, poutineki wrote:
[I'm guessing the straight water with this one works best due to the lime juice?

Right. Mixing hot milk with citrus would produce a nasty, curdled, mess.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-09 7:14 pm   Permalink

Rainbow Holiday Cup would qualify I think?

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-09 7:56 pm   Permalink

Classic "Egg Nog Cocktail"

Vanilla Egg Nog in a rocks glass
float some "Rhum Barbancourt" to taste & mix
dust with nutmeg.

Feel free to use your favorite rum.

You can also mix in a blender with some ice for a shake version.
So tasty!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Zombie Bastard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-11 3:08 pm   Permalink

Not sure if this would be considered strictly on topic, but my family always used to unknowingly Tiki up our Brandy sauce (for the xmas pud) by swapping the brandy out for Lamb's Navy rum. My Mum was a wonderful cook (exactly unlike myself), having done a cordon bleu course back in the day - so she knew her stuff! She used to swear by her Rum substitution trick, and would tell me every year that Brandy is too delicate and doesn't provide the depth of flavour that Rum will. She was right too. Rum xmas pudding sauce kicks Brandy sauce's arse..

View Profile of Atomic Zombie Bastard Send a personal message to Atomic Zombie Bastard  Goto the website of Atomic Zombie Bastard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-11 5:34 pm   Permalink

I agree wholeheartedly with Atomic Zombie Bastard's take on the hard sauce which normally accompanies "Christmas Pudding". Every Christmas, my mother made "Christmas Puds" and my father made his legendary "Hard Sauce" with dark rum (Smith & Cross) instead of brandy. While my parents (English/Scott) were in the US and I was in Military School in the UK (Duke of York's Royal Military school) before passing "Selection" into the SAS (retired Lt. Col.), my one great feature each year, and worth the trip to the US, was my mother's Christmas Puds with father's hard sauce! It's a memory I shall treasure for the rest of my life, and one I repeat each and every Christmas (along with having Eggs Benedict for Christmas breakfast) - I've passed on the recipe to my son. SOME TRADITIONS MUST BE PRESERVED!
Merry Christmas to all! Politically correct or not!

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2012-12-11 17:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2012-12-11 18:01 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-11 7:27 pm   Permalink

GentleHangman, I would love to hear some stories of your time with the SAS!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-11 10:04 pm   Permalink

Atomic Tiki Punk - I can appreciate that . . . but I signed the National Secrets Acts when I was "Badged" to the Regiment - a document I continue to respect to this date. I've been out of the Regiment for 30 years now. Suffice it to say that I was one of the participants in "Operation Nimrod" at Princess Gate in 1980 - and have the burns on my arm to show for it! My last two years with the Regiment were spent as Commander of the Jungle Warefare training Center in Brunai - accompanied by 2 Gurkah Rifles until I pensioned out it 1982. Bear Grills has nothing on me! I used to teach what he demonstrates on his "Man vs Wild" TV show! My nickname "Gentlehangman" comes from my uncle (on my mother's side) Albert Pierrepoint - he was married to my mother's aunt Annie. If you don't know who Albert Pierrepoint was . . you can look him up. I only knew him as the Publican of "Help the Poor Struggler" but he had another "Profession".

GH

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2012-12-11 22:07 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-11 10:56 pm   Permalink

Trader Sam's is serving A rum, strawberry puree, and lime juice concoction they call a "red nose zebra" that was quite tasty and I am not a "sweet" drink fan. They garnish this drink with cranberries for eyes and a nose and then place sprigs of mint to simulate ears and antlers.Oh those clever folks at Disney. They also had two other seasonal drinks on the menu. One was called gorilla nog and the other I cannot recall. I don't know what they put into em.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-12 08:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-11 22:56, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Trader Sam's is serving A rum, strawberry puree, and lime juice concoction they call a "red nose zebra" that was quite tasty and I am not a "sweet" drink fan. They garnish this drink with cranberries for eyes and a nose and then place sprigs of mint to simulate ears and antlers.Oh those clever folks at Disney. They also had two other seasonal drinks on the menu. One was called gorilla nog and the other I cannot recall. I don't know what they put into em.
Cheers

Here's the recipe for Trader Sam's Red Nosed Zebra as well as the Mele Kaliki-Mocha:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/12/make-your-own-wild-holiday-cocktails-with-recipes-from-trader-sams-at-the-disneyland-hotel/

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-12 2:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-11 22:04, GentleHangman wrote:
Atomic Tiki Punk - I can appreciate that . . . but I signed the National Secrets Acts when I was "Badged" to the Regiment - a document I continue to respect to this date. I've been out of the Regiment for 30 years now. Suffice it to say that I was one of the participants in "Operation Nimrod" at Princess Gate in 1980 - and have the burns on my arm to show for it! My last two years with the Regiment were spent as Commander of the Jungle Warefare training Center in Brunai - accompanied by 2 Gurkah Rifles until I pensioned out it 1982. Bear Grills has nothing on me! I used to teach what he demonstrates on his "Man vs Wild" TV show! My nickname "Gentlehangman" comes from my uncle (on my mother's side) Albert Pierrepoint - he was married to my mother's aunt Annie. If you don't know who Albert Pierrepoint was . . you can look him up. I only knew him as the Publican of "Help the Poor Struggler" but he had another "Profession".

Not to hijack the thread, "Operation Nimrod" was the SAS assault on the Iranian Embassy which ended an almost week long siege
on the Embassy, it was also the inspiration for the movie "Who Dares Wins" two years later
which I saw when I was living in London in 1982

"Albert Pierrepoint" was a famed British executioner, whom also was depected in several movies
You have a very rich & interesting history sir!

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-12 5:37 pm   Permalink

Arriano, Mahalo very mucho! I meet the coolest on T C.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-15 05:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-12 08:41, arriano wrote:
On 2012-12-11 22:56, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
...recipe for Trader Sam's Red Nosed Zebra as well as the Mele Kaliki-Mocha:

I went to a small dinner party last night and brought everything needed to make these. I have never made either before, but didn't think there was going to be much risk. I was right - both drinks were a big hit with the group. Fresh strawberries were perfectly pureed by the host's stick blender in a bowl. 100% Kona coffee tasted very good in the "mocha" drink. If you're looking for ideas on what to serve to a non-tiki group any time of year, this worked very well for me.

Thanks to both arriano and nui 'umi 'umi for the tips!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-15 2:22 pm   Permalink

Alright Ace! Can hardly wait to try one at home. once again we're shown that quality ingredients = quality drink. Glad that it went well for you.
Btw, just curious-what brand rum did you use? Silver or amber?
Mahalo

AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-17 12:33 pm   Permalink

For the Red Nosed Reindeer I stuck to the recipe exactly as shown and used the Bacardi 8 since I've not purchased or tasted it before. I also bought cranberries for garnish, but did not have time to obtain mint sprigs even though I grow these at home. The Bacardi 8 is actually an aged gold rum of Bahamian origin. (A blend of 8 to 16 year old rums, I think.) I was surprised to read, on the bottle, that they mentioned that it was bottled "in Jacksonville, FL, by the Bacardi Bottling Company." I don't recall seeing that before. Bacardi has a large plant, and I know people who work there. They are diversifying into more higher-quality and better-tasting rums in addition to their staple lower-end stuff. They are a good and very much appreciated corporate citizen here in our city. At the end of the evening I left the bottle with our host, but I didn't think of trying it straight. But the drink was very tasty with the Bacardi 8.

For the Mele Kaliki-Mocha I used Kahlua as stated in the recipe. I forgot to bring my Orgeat (doh!) so instead used a fraction of a teaspoon of almond extract - that would be my only shortcut or cheat or improvisation. And the drink tastes great with or without the whipped cream. For future, I think it would be a very nice touch to take my micro-plane grater and drop some chocolate shavings on top of the whipped cream. That would be a great way to get some extra use out of my micro-plane and would make a very nice garnish atop the whipped cream.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation