FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Any Tiki-Christmas Drink Recipes?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Any Tiki-Christmas Drink Recipes?
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-18 11:59 pm   Permalink

Ace, mahalo for sharing a bit of your bar-tending skills. I just had to Google "microplane grater" I love gadgets and cool bar stuff. I also like to gross my wife out.
I raved on and on about the grater and she thought it was cool til I showed her that they also make foot files. She gave me an unfriendly "look".
Merry Christmas!

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-12-18 23:59 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-27 10:54 am   Permalink

My pleasure, sir! I'm always learning new things because I keep trying new things...

You made me laugh about the foot files - I haven't heard that before. I know that MicroPlane makes wood files, and I think that's how they started out. The MicroPlane design is now being copied by many others, and this is causing prices to drop. Any kitchen store (or outlet) is likely to have a selection. The MicroPlane is excellent for making falernum when you need the peel but not the underlying white pith. I recommend adding one or two size files to any bartender's Christmas list!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-12-15 10:04 am   Permalink

Bump.

Any new ideas out there?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2015-12-15 11:00 am   Permalink

Try this - I got it from Gaz Regan's email a few days ago, and he got it from Facebook, so I think it is fair to re-post this here. I haven't tried it yet, but thought since you're looking, that we could both try the same thing at about the same time. (I'm currently missing Dale's bitters.) Despite the thanksgiving-ey name, it might turn out to be a good "holiday" cocktail without all the trappings of Christmas colors, themes, etc. like the Red Nosed Reindeer recipe has.

I'm tending bar at a holiday party next week, and if this is good, I'll be making this along with the Red Nosed Reindeer, and possibly a couple other things for the attendees.

==================================================

Pilgrim Cocktail

*Original recipe by Dale DeGroff (created at the Rainbow Room, NY, in 1995), from The Craft of the Cocktail (Clarkson Potter, 2002)

"Back when Dale was working the Rainbow Room, he became friends with the photo editors from the Associated Press--who made a habit of taking their lunch break at his bar--naturally they loved his drinks. One Thanksgiving, Dale decided to surprise them by creating a holiday cocktail especially for them: The Pilgrim's Cocktail.

"It was a bitter cold day so he heated it the drink and poured into an insulated coffee pot on a silver tray with twelve stemmed crystal glasses. With tray in hand, dressed in his red Rainbow Room jacket, he rode down the elevator, fought his way through the holiday throngs gathered in Rockefeller Plaza, wove his way across the street to the Associated Press building, grabbed an elevator to the fourth floor, and personally delivered twelve Pilgrim Cocktails to a very happy holiday staff. Now that's what you call service!" Jill DeGroff

15 ml (.5 oz) dark rum

15 ml (.5 oz) light rum

15 ml (.5 oz) orange curaçao

60 ml (2 oz) fresh orange juice

15 ml (.5 oz) fresh lime juice

7.5 ml (.25 oz) St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram

1 dash Dale DeGroff's Pimento Aromatic bitters

Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Can be served hot or cold.

gaz [Regan] sez: I found this recipe on Facebook, and although the drink isn't "new" per se, it's a damned good quaff and it carries with it a pretty fabulous story that gives us a glimpse at Dale and who he was before he became King Cocktail. What he did with this drink is the stuff legends are made from, and Dale, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is a man who is far, far better than his legend. You see me, you ask me, I got Dale stories that will make you smile very large, indeed.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2015-12-15 11:15 am   Permalink

Update - I do have Dale's bitters, so I will try to make this tonight, although I have two Christmas parties and may not get back until it's too late...

I'll post my result when I do this, might have to wait until tomorrow night......

mikehooker

Posted: 2015-12-15 12:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ace. Look forward to hearing your results. We're hosting a party Saturday night and still trying to determine if I'll be making a cocktail, a punch, or just leaving some spirits out for people to spike their cider and nog with.

We made this last year and it was incredible on it's own and delicious with some spiced rum added:

https://happybladderblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/06/hot-butterscotch/

I will have to try the Red Nosed Reindeer this year.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2015-12-15 12:18 pm   Permalink

Good thoughts... I found that the Red Nosed Reindeer is visually interesting when you make it in front of guests. Not many people (including myself) realize that a stick blender (or a regular tabletop blender) will liquefy fresh strawberries. Then when they see and taste the finished and garnished drink, it's visually nice and ties well into the holidays. It also has a moderately sweet flavor profile, therefore appeals to a lot more people. It can be a crowd pleaser.

mikehooker

Posted: 2015-12-15 12:59 pm   Permalink

When you say stick blender do you mean like a top down mixer?

Kahiki Guy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-15 1:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-10 18:40, JTD wrote:
The Macadamia Nut Chi Chi (Intoxica, p. 50) reminds me of Christmas cookies whenever I have one. Try it.

JTD

Agree! One of my favorite and totally reminds me of a Christmas Cookie!

View Profile of Kahiki Guy Send a personal message to Kahiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2015-12-15 1:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-12-15 12:59, mikehooker wrote:
When you say stick blender do you mean like a top down mixer?

Oops, I think it's more correctly called an "immersion blender." But a regular blender, and a food processor, will do the trick as well. The immersion blender is a bit more visually dramatic and "showy" when making the cocktail in front of others. I think that's because they've been around for a long time, but not many people have committed to spending the money to buy one. So they're fun to whip out at your bar. Here are some photos:

Bumboo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-12-15 4:39 pm   Permalink

Last year we made Martin Cate's Yuletide Wave punch and it was a hit (recipe appeared in Imbibe Magazine and was reprinted in their book "Cocktails for the Holidays"-- Google Books allows you to see the recipe in a search). Brian Miller's Black Flag Grog is also excellent this time of year (the Blackstrap rum, orgeat, and nutmeg syrup work really well together):

http://punchdrink.com/recipes/black-flag-grog/

And yesterday Paul McGee released a Holiday recipe to benefit the Chicago Food Bank (Stranger in Paradise-- made one last night and it's a nice mix of Rhum Agricole Blanc, Reposado Tequila, falernum, pineapple, lime, allspice, cinnamon, and absinthe). A donation to the Food Bank scores you the recipe (and some others):

https://goo.gl/a3Lu6q

Happy Holidays!

View Profile of Bumboo Send a personal message to Bumboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-15 7:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-12-15 16:39, Bumboo wrote:
Last year we made Martin Cate's Yuletide Wave punch and it was a hit (recipe appeared in Imbibe Magazine and was reprinted in their book "Cocktails for the Holidays"-- Google Books allows you to see the recipe in a search).

I came here to express this same appeal for the drink. Great punch and the cocktail book in general is a good one.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-17 9:18 pm   Permalink

AceExplorer & mikehooker:

DeGroff's Pilgrim Cocktail indeed makes a fine holiday cocktail. It's a bit heavy on the orange and light on the rum, but in a party situation that probably works fine. I made it with Coruba, which blended nicely, but you might want to try a more aggressive rum like Smith & Cross or an aged Demerara. Or maybe just have those rums on hand to add a splash for folks who might want a more rummy cocktail.

Note that the original recipe in The Craft of the Cocktail calls for Angostura bitters. DeGroff's Pimento Aromatic Bitters didn't hit the market until around 2012. I might actually prefer Angostura since the allspice dram already brings enough pimento flavor.

Also, here's the punch version from The Craft of the Cocktail:

3 ounces dark rum
3 ounces light rum
3 1/2 ounces orange curacao
12 ounces fresh orange juice
2 1/2 ounces fresh lime juice
1 1/2 ounces pimento liqueur
6 dashes Angostura bitters

To serve cold: Assemble all the ingredients in a large pitcher and stir. Strain into a glass with an orange slice and a dusting of freshly grated nutmeg.

To serve hot: Assemble all ingredients in a saucepan with 6 ounces of sweetened orange pekoe tea. Heat to just under a boil, and serve in a punch cup dusted with freshly grated nutmeg.

The official blog of The Hukilau

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-17 9:25 pm   Permalink

From another cocktail master, here's one I highly recommend. It will be featured as the next Cocktail of the Week on The Atomic Grog:

Devil's Island Daiquiri
(By Jeff "Beachbum" Berry)

"This is basically a cold buttered rum," says mixologist Jeff Berry. "You could serve it during the holidays in lieu of eggnog."

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/devils-island-daiquiri-cocktails-2010

Also, I just created my own holiday cocktail that I'll be posting along with Jeff's recipe. If anyone wants to try it out, let me know and I can send it to you via PM.

Mele Kalikimaka!

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2015-12-17 11:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-12-17 21:25, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Also, I just created my own holiday cocktail that I'll be posting along with Jeff's recipe. If anyone wants to try it out, let me know and I can send it to you via PM.

Mele Kalikimaka!

Gimme!

Does the Martinique Milk Punch work as a holiday cocktail? I've never had it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation