FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Please take a look and help me identify- thanks
Please take a look and help me identify- thanks
nessiesusan

Posted: 2005-10-08 06:25 am   Permalink

Apologies for posting this again-a kind responder the first time suggested posting the pictures.

Pics below---I am not a collector or obviously an expert in this topic. I picked up a group of tiki mask pairs a few years ago on a whim. We have never used them and I'd like to list them on eBay but I am stumped on categories! It is a group of 10-(5 pairs). They are all different sizes and seem to be totally different styles. One pair looks Asian, others Hawaiian or African?? Any simple rules for telling the difference? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Approx. 30" tall

Approx. 11-12" tall

Approx. 10" & 12"

Approx. 9' & 10"

Approx. 7''

[ This Message was edited by: nessiesusan 2005-09-12 11:56 ]

View Profile of nessiesusan Send a personal message to nessiesusan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 02:22 am   Permalink

Susan, you might see by the unenthusiatic response that these masks are not really great finds, since none of them are Polynesian in origin. They might work OK hidden in the jetsam and flotsam of someones Tiki bar, as additional decor amongst real Tikis and Tapa cloth lamps, but they are cheap and generic tourist art that is probably carved in some country (Mexico, Phillipines) and sold in another. This is not ALWAYS plain wrong for Tiki style, but there is nothing here that gives it a cheap/funny twist even. A red lightbulb to make the eyes glow might help.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nessiesusan

Posted: 2005-10-09 06:02 am   Permalink

Thanks for responding.
That really all I wanted to know.
I'll guietly leave now.

View Profile of nessiesusan Send a personal message to nessiesusan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 9:41 pm   Permalink

Hey Nessiesusan,
No need to quietly leave!
Everyone here started off with a lesser degree of knowledge at one point.
There are lots of discussions and lots of information shared so stick around, ask questions, browse and have fun.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation