FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events hukilau was fantastic.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
hukilau was fantastic.
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 12:42 pm   Permalink

Here ya go Smiley:

Yeeesh. That thing still makes my skin crawl. Again I ask, why do they have bloody knees?

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanekila
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 1:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-10 09:42, pablus wrote:
Everyone got in a wreck on the way to the car show because they were so excited to get there. Ft. Lauderdale has some really bad drivers.

I'm not kidding about the bad drivers.

Car show was canceled and announced as such as everyone arrived.

Wow... for a minute there, I thought it said "bad livers." A sign!??

View Profile of Kanekila Send a personal message to Kanekila  Email Kanekila Goto the website of Kanekila     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 3:02 pm   Permalink

I almost paid four grand for that painting in Unga Bunga's room when someone had the phony "auction" Yeesh, maybe I shouldn't have those 7 drinks at the Mai Kai.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 3:05 pm   Permalink

Hukilau was indeed a Barrel o' Rum...errr, I mean a Barrel of FUN.
Trying not to repeat what everyone else said so I'll keep it short:
Thanks a lot to Tiki-Kiliki, JT , Casey and everyone else who organzied. The musical performances were great.
I had a great time helping Poly Pop at the merch table - I got to meet a lot of people this way. Hanging out with my room mates Poly Pop and BongoFury, and my old friends Monekyman & Olga, SugarCaddyDaddy, Crazy Al, King Kukulele, TheJab, Hanford, Humuhumu, Selektor Lopaka & Puamana, Mr. Smiley, Tiki Tony, Vern (and everyone else I forgot) was a blast (as always).
Meeting Swanky, Pablus, Basement Kahuna, BenZart, Virani, Formaikahini, Haole Kats, Inkylouise, Lake Surfer, Tiki G, Cabana Boy and many more in real life was important for me, and I'm glad I had this opportunity.
I was really excited to go back to the Mai-Kai almost 4 years after my first visit there (but I was thinking of the Mrs. all the time, wishing she'd be there, too), and waisted no time ordering the first couple of Mystery Bowls, which set the tone for the rest of the night. Spending an evening in the Mai-Kai (the greatest Tiki establishment in the world, IMHO) with likeminded people was definitely a moving experience.
Partying with Poly Pop, BongoFury , SCD, Crazy Al and Cabana Boy after that was so much fun, that most of us were too tired for the tcrj after-party at Unga Bunga's. (So much for my plans to drink with BK and Pablus).
Man, that Cabana Boy was a lurker here, but he certainly opened our eyes on his home turf.
Going home on Sunday was a little hard (especially since I was bummed out about not being to go on the home bar tour), lugging around the AWSOME tikis I got from Lake Surfer (check out his work) and all the mugs I got from BK, forced me to do some creative shuffling at the airport weigh in.
Hoping I can make it next year (with the Mrs. this time)!

Silky smooth,

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-11 4:57 pm   Permalink

Weekend Mai-Kai drink tally:

2 Derby Daiquiris (I drove that night)
2 Mutinies
1 Jet Pilot
1 Zombie
1 Barrel O' Rum
1 151 Swizzle
1 Kona Coffee Grog
2 S.O.S.

I would have tried even more but during the 2-for-1 happy hour I had to have two of the same drink. My favorite drink this visit was the 151 swizzle. It's served in an ice cone in an aluminum cup so it stays ice cold forever.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 8:58 pm   Permalink

Here's my official Saturday night drink rundown:

-Rum Barrel (happy hour)
-151 Swizzle (happy hour--did the switcheroo with Chief Lapu Lapu)
-Pina Passion (bonus drink courtesy of Mrs. Lapu Lapu)
-Black Magic
-Zombie
-Special Plantation Punch
-Mai Tai (the people at the table next to us left before their last drinks showed up. I took advantage)
Plus, I had some sips of my friends' drinks--the Shark Bite, Mara Amu, Martinique Milk Punch, Mai Kai Swizzle, and the Yeoman's Grog.
At the after bar I had one of I, Zombie's Floridita Daiquiris and a Scorpion (don't know who made that one.) Oh yeah, did I mention that by that point I was LOADED?

Over the last few years I've managed to try nearly every drink at the fabled Mai Kai, and they are, collectively, the best drinks I've had out--by a country mile. That place is unparalleled in quality. The prices always seem steep at first but then I take a trip to the "reminder room" when I get back home to Minneapolis and routinely pay $9-10 for drinks that are at best inferior to the very worst Mai Kai drinks.

My favorite Mai Kai drinks are, in no special order, the Special Plantation Punch, the Shark Bite, the Zombie and the 151 Swizzle--although I have a place in my heart for many, many more depending on the mood.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 10:20 pm   Permalink

this one was all time!!! what the f' will they do next year to top it????????????

it just got better and better.............and better...
then the rain 'God' steps in to put a perfect down pour on the killer back yard tiki party at Pia's just while we where wrapping it up...mud dance anyone?........no need for faux showers on the windows here!

nice.......see ya next year... and on the pics pg a bit later

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Lapu Lapu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-12 05:15 am   Permalink

SOLD! to Quince at Dannys for $4000.

(still think it was better than "The Horse Race")

View Profile of Chief Lapu Lapu Send a personal message to Chief Lapu Lapu  Goto the website of Chief Lapu Lapu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-12 09:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-11 20:58, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Over the last few years I've managed to try nearly every drink at the fabled Mai Kai, and they are, collectively, the best drinks I've had out--by a country mile. That place is unparalleled in quality. The prices always seem steep at first but then I take a trip to the "reminder room" when I get back home to Minneapolis and routinely pay $9-10 for drinks that are at best inferior to the very worst Mai Kai drinks.

To try every drink there is a great goal, one I've tried to accomplish, but between trips to the Mai-Kai I forget which ones I've had. I agree they are totally worth the cost in taste, strength, and in quality of ingredients.

I admit I was surprised that so many people at the Hukilau stuck to the Barrel O' Rum. It's an excellent drink but there are so many others. Variety is the spice of life, isn't it?

I tried the Mutiny for perhaps the first time (thanks to Bamboo Ben for the suggestion!) and was very pleased with it. It's similar to the Black Magic but with a little less coffee taste, which makes it better IMO.

I have not tried the Special Plantation Punch yet. Next time!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 11:01 am   Permalink

Everyone who looked at that painting shivered with the "heeby geebies" and I bet is scarred for life!

I wonder if it will still be hanging on the wall NEXT year!!!

Quote:

On 2005-10-12 05:15, Chief Lapu Lapu wrote:
SOLD! to Quince at Dannys for $4000.

(still think it was better than "The Horse Race")

If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 11:06 am   Permalink

My Mai-Kai drink count is not so thrilling;
A couple Rum barrels
an SOS (?) Jab recommended it-good!
About 30 Zombies
And one flaming Russian Roulette!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 11:28 am   Permalink

Yeah, but "if memory serves me correctly", one of 'em almost brought the house down...

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 11:29 am   Permalink

My only regret of this hukilau is having missed Purple Jade. Maybe more than the memory of Martin Denny, I would have liked to dedicate this event to Purple Jade, who could have not come to the party with us, considering her hurricane lost. I hope next year she'll be there.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 11:33 am   Permalink

Many Mahalos to everyone for your comments! I am so glad that a great time was had by all. So much went into making this year spectacular and many thanks for all of you for saying this is the best Hukilau EVER! I must agree. The Drasnin performance just sealed it for me and the Home Bar Tour was just too much fun!!

Again, mucho mahalos to everyone who attended. I'm most proud to see new faces on Tiki Central. The part of Hukilau that is so special is that the event brings so many people together and raises their awareness of the community. New friendships are born and existing ones become stronger.

My favorite highlights of the weekend: Charles Phoenix's slideshow - you are now a permanent element of Hukilau!, Drasnin's performance is still playing in my ears - what a spectacular addition to this years event and one of the best live performances I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy, WAITIKI!!! - you guys are most definitely playing at one of my events again, the Haole Kats rocked!, Pablus in the Tiki Bazaar playin' up a storm - we listened to your new CD during the Home Bar Tour!, and many many more! King Kukulele, Crazy Al and Charles Phoenix on the bus - I laughed so much I hurt!!

Here's my official Saturday night drink rundown:
-2 Black Magic's (my absolute favorite)
-1 Shark Bite
-1 Mai Tai
-1 Jet Pilot
If I had to tell you from the start of Hukilau you guys might get a little worried! I'm on my way in just a while to have a few more as we discuss next years event!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 11:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-12 11:28, Kava King wrote:
Yeah, but "if memory serves me correctly", one of 'em almost brought the house down...

feel the BURN!!!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation