FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Seminar Benzart, Basement Kahuna Tiki Diablo
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Carving Seminar Benzart, Basement Kahuna Tiki Diablo
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-29 08:53 am   Permalink

Yep! It was my plan to bring the video camera as well as film and digital cameras to document this (mainly because I usually forget about half of what I see in situations like this). But making a DVD and/or booklet of the event for others is highly do-able. I'm a professional photographer and used to work as photo editor for a local weekly, so I've got a little experience in this sort of thing.

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2005-12-29 08:54 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-30 09:39 am   Permalink

Benz, Silver,
Thank you. Maybe if you post after the seminar that there will be a dvd and or booklet you can guage people's interest and see if it is worth your time to put this together. I know I am interested, and if it does not come together i would at least like a copy of the footage you shot.
I hope too that we will get to see TOOLS, peoples favorites and why and where to get them. I am a tool junky, but these carvers will be able to show us how to get a kit together without breaking the bank.
Thanks again,
TT

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 08:18 am   Permalink

First, make sure you email me to get on the list. I can't tell a TC name from an email to know if you are on or not by that method. Just drop me a line and you get the current info when it comes out.

Second, I am going up to
Smoky Mountain Woodcarver's today to look around and discuss what I am doing. See if they might sponsor us in any way and get prices for bass wood for everyone to practice on. I'll post pictures over on the Coon Tiki site and forum.

I should have the info to get the lodge booked this week and will pick a date and start figuring out prices and then send out a suggested list. It's pretty complicated to arrange. But, everyone will have lots of time to figure out if they can make it.

It's going to be a great time.

I am in favor of taping it too. All I have is a cruddy old Hi-8 cam, but if some folks bring a couple of digital vidoe cams, I'll help shoot it. I am pretty good at it.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 1:03 pm   Permalink

I'd really like a tape/dvd of this event. Count me as an interested party. I wish I could go, but can't get the time from work or fit it into the budget. Even though being there would be 10,000 times more informative, I could still learn alot from a DVD.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 6:32 pm   Permalink

Went by the Woodcarvers place today. They have chisels at good prices, but are more geared towards the machine carvers and the small detail stuff. So they sent me down the road to another guy and unfortunately he wasn;t in the shop. It was like 70 degrees, so, hey, go figure. Nice day to do other things. But, he had the large stuff. Big logs and a huge fork truck and crane truck. If I need a big log for a home project, this is the man. I am goin gto call tomorrow and see if he can hook me up with some logs for our work. Here are pics of the place.

Logs and the crane truck.

A huge pig and gal carving.

Cute monkey in the tree.

This big motha has some bear trapped in its wood I am sure.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 9:40 pm   Permalink

Hey, Swanky - have you guys considered maybe (3) large group projects for the seminar? I mean, we could all work on a bunch of small individual tikis, but couldn't we do that at home? Just a thought, but it would be cool to work in close with the teachers and hopefully pick up some good technique. Or, maybe do both - everyone could work on their own small tikis and "rotate in" with the teachers on the larger group tikis. We could all take our little tikis home, finished or not, and the teachers could donate the "group" tikis to the Tiki Temple of their choice on behalf of Tiki Central in the interest of furthering the Modern Day Tiki Revival (The Mai Kai, Omni Hut, and Tiki Ti all come to mind). But take that as a suggestion only - it's your gig.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 3:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-02 21:40, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Hey, Swanky - have you guys considered maybe (3) large group projects for the seminar? I mean, we could all work on a bunch of small individual tikis, but couldn't we do that at home? Just a thought, but it would be cool to work in close with the teachers and hopefully pick up some good technique. Or, maybe do both - everyone could work on their own small tikis and "rotate in" with the teachers on the larger group tikis. We could all take our little tikis home, finished or not, and the teachers could donate the "group" tikis to the Tiki Temple of their choice on behalf of Tiki Central in the interest of furthering the Modern Day Tiki Revival (The Mai Kai, Omni Hut, and Tiki Ti all come to mind). But take that as a suggestion only - it's your gig.

A-A

It's a good thought. How much do you think we could get done in a weekend? If we could get a large log and have everyone taking their turns with it and get it near finished over the weekend, that would be great. The format for what the guys want to do is still open, so, it's up to them. I thought we'd also do a smaller project in basswood with a small dowel for everone. But when it comes to chisel work, I think maybe we need a decent sized log to work with.

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 7:55 pm   Permalink

I guess we need to Powow on this soon...Time's drawing closer..

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 8:50 pm   Permalink

I for one can't wait. I do need the dates to be decided so that I can reserve some vacation at work. I guess we should get commitments from the would be student carvers so we know who all is going to be there for sure. I just hope we don't see this thing fall through due to a lack of participants! I don't know if we will ever have this golden opportunity again. Imagine the creative tiki talent that could be assembled in a cabin on a Tennessee hillside! Just getting to meet many of you and talk in person will be fantastic! And then there is the exchange of ideas and sharing of carving methods. It will be Nirvana with band aids at the ready! C'mon carvers, STEP UP AND BE COUNTED!
See you there.......8FT Tiki

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 07:06 am   Permalink

I think it may be great to have everyone work on one large tiki and also each have smaller individual efforts. sounds like super fun all the way around.
Swanky, what is the name of the carving shop and do they have a web site? what brand chisels do they have?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 08:24 am   Permalink

Ain't gonna make it. However, I'm all over the tape/dvd idea...I'd gladly pay for that...there's much potential for that idea.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-14 10:40 am   Permalink

I have set a date for April 1-2nd. I just sent out an email to everyone on the list. If you did not get an email, you need to email me and get on the list! Please reply to the email right away and I will get everything ready to start registration in the next week, if not sooner.

Check
http://forum.hukilau.org for updates and discussion and http://coontiki.hukilau.org for details.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2006-03-06 10:10 ]

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-14 5:27 pm   Permalink

Awesome! We have a date set. I will post a few questions and float some ideas on your off-site Coon-Tiki Forum.

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 4:02 pm   Permalink

I have the cabin booked and am looking for another cabin nearby as an alternative to people staying in the hotel. I have added a number of comments in the forums. I think I will be taking registration in a week or so. Email me if you haven't already!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 7:40 pm   Permalink

Things are pretty squared away, so I have announced the registration date. I am giving it one week so word wil get to everyone. Those who have already emailed saying you are coming or are debating it, you will be given first chance to attend. After those folks have said yes or no, the remaining spaces will be filled in order of the new emails. If you have not contacted me and want to attend, email me on the 14th!

Once we have our band of merry carvers, we'll go over a lot of details in emails amongst ourselves. It's going to be a great time!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation