FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Who will go to Hukilau 2006? I will!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Who will go to Hukilau 2006? I will!
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 12:35 pm   Permalink

Utopiandreem & I cant wait to go to our 1st Hukilau next year, & being the 50 Ann. Its marked on my calendar!

TBird.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 1:00 pm   Permalink

""The Hukilau horde was dominated by white 30-somethings and aging boomers -- no surprises there." - New Times"

What? No mention of the pallid, oft-vintage-spectacled, frequently tattooed and/or interestingly hair-dyed Gen-Xers?!? I am insulted!!!

In other news, I too noticed the amazing upcoming COSMIC CONJUNCTION...50 years of the MaiKai AND Jaxson's Ice Cream!!! Dang!!!

We'll have to arrange a mini-Hukilau side trip to Jaxson's, no doubt. We can gift them with a special license plate or something, maybe? Needless to say, a monstrously huge and mind-blowingly delicious TROUGH of Jaxson's unforgettable dairy goodness was our last-night-in-Florida splurge...oof. I am STILL full. ZAZZ-O-RAMA!!!

And by the way, ZAZZ-O-RAMA!!! is also exactly how I feel about Sven making Hukilau next year AND another Unga party at the hilarious 70's-bachelor-pad Bahia cabana penthouse (think of VERY low-rent Hugh Hefner or something....straight out of "Boogie Nights". With terrifying artwork. And a stunning set of chocolate-brown bathroom appliances...including a bidet. Really. I am still not sure I wasn't seeing things.)

Looking forward to it already,

mr and mrs tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 1:38 pm   Permalink

I expect to see all my villagers of Okonkuluku there, and there will be multiple watermelons sacrificed in honor of the 50th of the Mai Kai!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PoisonIvy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-14 10:17 pm   Permalink

We'll be there....and you won't believe who I'll bring.
MaiKai....SOUL.
XXXOOO

View Profile of PoisonIvy Send a personal message to PoisonIvy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-15 09:39 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2005-10-14 22:17, PoisonIvy wrote:
We'll be there....and you won't believe who I'll bring.

Hmmmm, well if you're really Poison Ivy, are you bringing Lux? That would be way cool!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-15 10:23 pm   Permalink

Alice, you're giving me twisted ideas about next year's entertainment lineup....

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 12:21 am   Permalink

Twisted ideas are always welcome in my book!!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanekila
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 08:02 am   Permalink

Quote:
"The Hukilau horde was dominated by white 30-somethings and aging boomers -- no surprises there." - New Times"

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Haole Kats!!! are certainly hoping to be a part of the festivities next year. All y'all were so nice to us, and it was definitely one for the record books. Loved meeting Robert Drasnin, those Wacki Waitiki boyz, Slip and his Spinout crew, The Intoxicators -- really nice line-up, all great folks.

I think a Crazed Mugs wit' da Kats set needs to be fit in there somewhere, too, next year. One of my fave moments. I could listen to Pablus sing all night. BUY THEIR
CD!

View Profile of Kanekila Send a personal message to Kanekila  Email Kanekila Goto the website of Kanekila     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 10:23 am   Permalink

I think James and I can work out a Crazed Mugs and Haole Kats segment as an addition to the 50th celebration. We are already planning several elements of the weekend so keep checkin' Tiki Central for updates!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 11:35 am   Permalink

Oaktiki and I are 99% sure we're in. Having missed this years, we're counting the days.

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 4:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2005-10-15 22:23, tikibars wrote:
Alice, you're giving me twisted ideas about next year's entertainment lineup....

Poppa mmm Mai Kai, Poppa mmm Mai Ma Kai

Now *THAT* would be a "different direction" all right from Mr. Drasnin's orchestra!!!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 6:03 pm   Permalink

Just some thoughts about next year (please look past my NERD factor):

Somehow, someway, there's got to be a drink making contest next year and some "organized" parties. Could be like what they did one year at Tiki Oasis, where people throw parties in their rooms and label each room a drink, so you go to the Mai Tai room, zombie room, etc, and try out different things. I went to a sci-fi convention for the first time last year, and as as goofy as it was, it had some great elements -- one being parties held in different rooms (with different themes) and the parties were listed in the event program. So I think some sort of drink contest/organized room party thing could work... Imagine looking at the program and going to the Les Baxter room to try an "Oasis of Dakhla" cocktail!!!
I heard the home bar tour was a big success, and it was very similar to what I'm talking about. But being on Sunday afternoon, I know a lot of folks who had to fly out that day (myself included). If there was some "advertised" parties in the hotel, people from away could host events too!

Or maybe the drink contest could be separate from the organized parties, and more "official," with real bartenders, where people submit recipes. I don't know how, but I think a drink contest could be a big hit! With the winning recipe being featured the next night or something.

Ok I'm really not THAT big of a nerd, but also at the sci-fi convention, they had lots of panel discussions, presentations, and demonstrations. I thought a highlight of Hukilau was the slide show. I'd love to see more of that sort of thing, some on a big scale (some experts on Exotica, for example, giving a panel discussion; or a history of tiki mugs; or James could do a great panel based on the "road trip") and some could be smaller events, that repeat throughout the day. I met someone at the Sat Night after party (sorry, can't recall the name) and he had made some terrific Pimento liquor. I told him about our success with making Falernum. Well jeez, imagine a few 15 minute demonstrations about those two topics. Or an open forum about thrifting. Imagine the hilarious stories. Or imagine if Drasnin had held a panel discussion to talk about his career. That sort of stuff.

Don't get me wrong, Hukilau 2005 was EXCELLENT. But there was just so much expertise on display by everyone at Hukilau, that I'd love to see more of it brought out into the open (and not just discovered at 4am Sunday morning at an after party when you're already regrettin' the number of people you DIDN't get to meet).

I just thought I'd throw out some ideas that our group has discussed since the glorious event. I'll stop rambling now.

I, Zombie

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie 2005-10-16 18:21 ]

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 6:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-13 20:32, Humuhumu wrote:
Tiki Kiliki + Mai Kai = Magic! To be honest, if I lived on the east coast I wouldn't miss ANY of Kiliki's Tiki Torch Night events, so OF COURSE it's a no-brainer to make the effort to be there when the Mai Kai asks her to plan their 50th Anniversary event!

AMEN SISTAH! WHOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! She's amazing, isnt she? lol!

And it was SO GREAT seeing you and your Honey last weekend! You're both as adorable and wonderful as ever!
Hugs n kisses from Steve and me!

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 06:47 am   Permalink

Somehow, someway, there's got to be a drink making contest next year and some "organized" parties. Could be like what they did one year at Tiki Oasis, where people throw parties in their rooms and label each room a drink, so you go to the Mai Tai room, zombie room, etc, and try out different things.

This is a great idea, and I know that we, of Waitiki, were remiss in our hospitality as far as hosting parties went. As the Mayor, I declare that will change for next year. We were not sure of what to expect, what was expected of us, etc. in that regard. Sorry!

Imagine looking at the program and going to the Les Baxter room to try an "Oasis of Dakhla" cocktail!!!

Oh yes, indeed!

I heard the home bar tour was a big success, and it was very similar to what I'm talking about. But being on Sunday afternoon, I know a lot of folks who had to fly out that day (myself included). If there was some "advertised" parties in the hotel, people from away could host events too!

I could back that. Actually, we have our own band drink menu. We would definately have to offer those items at our party. See our website,
www.watiki.com for details...

And yes, the planting has begun in the watermelon fields. We are hoping for a bumper crop for next year.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 07:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-14 13:00, tikivixen wrote:
""The Hukilau horde was dominated by white 30-somethings and aging boomers -- no surprises there." - New Times"

What? No mention of the pallid, oft-vintage-spectacled, frequently tattooed and/or interestingly hair-dyed Gen-Xers?!? I am insulted!!!

Psssssst! We're GenXers are all 30-something now...

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation