FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Who will go to Hukilau 2006? I will!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Who will go to Hukilau 2006? I will!
tikilee
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-24 09:03 am   Permalink

I'll be there. And I'm bringing friends.

View Profile of tikilee Send a personal message to tikilee  Email tikilee Goto the website of tikilee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 06:16 am   Permalink

Do we now know the approximate dates of the 2006 Hukilau ??? What week end in October should we come to party ?

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 06:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-22 06:16, virani wrote:
Do we now know the approximate dates of the 2006 Hukilau ??? What week end in October should we come to party ?

october 5-8 2006 by my calendar.
i'm itchin' to make reservations...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pomaika i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 08:16 am   Permalink

I'm hoping to be there. I'm getting married at the Mai Kai the following Saturday (pending final $$$ decisions right now) so I'm not 100% sure that we'll be able to afford to go. Plus, my doctor friend in VA is tentatively scheduling her wedding for the 7th.....

View Profile of Pomaika i Send a personal message to Pomaika i      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 09:05 am   Permalink

Hukilau IS October 5 - 8.

Christie has a of of new ideas for this year, and we've been discussing those, and looking at some interesting new options for lodging as well.

It might be a few weeks or more before there is an announcement - which Christie will make as soon as we've got things nailed down - but the event is happening and the dates are 98% soild.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 10:44 am   Permalink

The web site went live today.

Not much there yet, but you can confirm the dates, sign up for the mailing list, and check out the official artwork.

http://www.thehukilau.com/

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-02-26 12:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-26 10:44, tikibars wrote:
The web site went live today.

Not much there yet, but you can confirm the dates, sign up for the mailing list, and check out the official artwork.

http://www.thehukilau.com/

Looks great! Should we sign up again if we were on the mailing list before?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 12:24 pm   Permalink

Aloha everyone,

It looks like Hukilau might just begin on the 4th this year with a limited ticketed Rum tasting at the Mai Kai to be held in Somoa and Tahiti - the rear dining areas.

James is right, I'm working on several workshops, booksignings and lots of gatherings this year. This will be a Hukilau like no other. The Mai Kai family and I met last week and discussed the beginning 'til end. Of course, they are the stars this year as we are trying to bring as much history to light for the 50th Anniversary.

Dave Levy, operating owner, just agreed to allow me to show the Mai Kai family photo albums in an exclusive show just for Hukilau 2006. These are albums dating back to the 50's that few have ever seen with photos of the wedding between Mrs. T and Bob, rum tastings in Tahiti, photo shoots of the staff and mixologists at work - I wanted to make them a part of Hukilau and I'm glad they feel confident about showing them to the public this year. This is a once in a lifetime showing so we are truly fortunate.

Just try to hold out for a couple more weeks and the site will unfold.

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-02-26 12:26 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 08:55 am   Permalink

Kiliki was in charge of Hukilau 2005. I did the online reservations coding and helped with that, but she managed the event. Hukilau was created by both of us and every aspect done by both of us until 2005.

With her living in South Florida now and both of us feeling that Hukilau's home is at the Mai Kai because of their gracious attitude, and my lessening interest in the stress of this big event, we came to an aggreement whereby Kiliki has complete control of Hukilau.

Hukilau is a huge undertaking. It has always been hard to find people willing to spend the time and energy needed to make it happen. It ends up being the job of the organizer only. There is no money in the bank to work with and though it always seems ready to, it has never made any money. It is a labor of love. Kiliki and I were the only ones doing that labor, and now she is doing it alone. She has gotten some great help from Casey, James, Chip and Andy, Tikilicious, Pia, Kern, Liz Lang, and others. That's important.

Kiliki is undertaking this monumental task of creating a big party with limited resources. She's shown herself capable, and deserves all the help and support the ohana can give her. I'll continue to offer my advice and help where I can, and I hope we all can make this year better than ever and maybe even easier.

Thanks to all who have traveled far to attend and support Hukilau. It is a magical time and I look forward to Hukilau 2006. Remember, Hukilau may not be here again, the Mai Kai may not be here for their 60th Anniversary, your friends may not make the trip next time, it's always important to take these rare opportunities. Appreciate them. Don't let the magic of life slip by.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 11:33 am   Permalink

Thanks for the post Swanky. And without the continued support of those mentioned and many others, Hukilau would not continue.

Like Swanky said, it is a labor of love. He and I have gone through so much together but the amazing relationships that we've built through this event are unmatched. That's why Hukilau exists today.

Swanky, look forward to toasting with you this year - Hukilau's 5th Anniversary and of course the Mai Kai's 50th!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-11 12:06 pm   Permalink

Tiki Kaliki & Swanky,

Nothin' but love for the both of you! Mahalo for last year's Hukilau which was my first and mucho mahalo TK for all the effort you are putting into this year's extravaganza. I can hardly wait. Aloha

Matt

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MobileTikiBar

Posted: 2006-04-12 9:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-11 11:33, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Thanks for the post Swanky. And without the continued support of those mentioned and many others, Hukilau would not continue.

Like Swanky said, it is a labor of love. He and I have gone through so much together but the amazing relationships that we've built through this event are unmatched. That's why Hukilau exists today.

Swanky, look forward to toasting with you this year - Hukilau's 5th Anniversary and of course the Mai Kai's 50th!

Being new to the forum, I'm really looking forward to a weekend in Ft. Lauderdale. A few friends and I are planning a quick trip from Orlando in a week or so to spec out the location and accomodations. Any suggestions on a hotel? Plans for a hotel room-crawl type event?

-adrian

View Profile of MobileTikiBar Send a personal message to MobileTikiBar  Goto the website of MobileTikiBar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 10:42 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to Huki-06 and to seeing this portable tiki bar. Can 2 people dance on it?

p.s. welcome aboard rummies!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 1:10 pm   Permalink

MobileTikiBar, I sent you a PM.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 06:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-12 22:42, RevBambooBen wrote:
Looking forward to Huki-06 and to seeing this portable tiki bar. Can 2 people dance on it?

p.s. welcome aboard rummies!!

And if they dancers should break it, I know a couple of guys who can fix it good as new.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation