[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki R.I.P. Movieland Wax Museum
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
R.I.P. Movieland Wax Museum
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 2:29 pm   Permalink

I just saw that Movieland Wax Museum in Buena Park is closing it's doors Oct. 31st

http://www.movielandwaxmuseum.com/

I know it's really cheezy but I hate to see it go. A pizza place will be taking over the building...

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 10:26 am   Permalink

Buena Park is losing all it's cheesy tourist attractions. Gone are Japanese Village/Deer Park, that alligator farm across the street from Knotts Berry Farm and now Movieland Wax Museum

There use to be a museum in Buena Park called "Cars of the Stars and Planes of Fame" which displayed movie props and custom cars by Ed Roth and George Barris. Pin Stripping legend, Von Dutch, use to be employed there and would camp in the parking lot.

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/02/44/art-harvey.php

http://www.ocweekly.com/ink/04/18/cover-douglas.php

I'm not sure if it was part of Movieland Wax Museum or a separate entity in itself.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 11:04 am   Permalink

This really is sad. I was planning on taking my son to see the Wax Museum for the first time this Christmas holiday.

I have such great memories of that place as a kid.

The Alligator Farm!?! Wow, now there's a flashback. How fun was that place?? It's ashame that it went by the wayside as well all those years ago.

You are right, history in that area is dying. Even parts of Knotts are not the same anymore.

(sigh)

View Profile of TikiTikiBoom Send a personal message to TikiTikiBoom  Email TikiTikiBoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 1:39 pm   Permalink

I had a birthday party there once.
Japanese Village/Deer Park, that alligator farm. Movieland Wax Museum, Cars of the Stars and Planes of Fame.
All great memories.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 11:52 pm   Permalink

I've got VERY old B-Day photos of me as a kid and my buddies celebrating my b-day over many years at the Wax Museum in Buena Park. Every photo was taken with the Frankenstein prop - think I've gotta go before they shut it down and see how Frankie's held up!
Holden

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-22 8:55 pm   Permalink

I heard they're making a tiki pizza place there. Bummer! Kill the old with the new!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-22 9:01 pm   Permalink

Let's see the pics smoggy. You were so cute as a child.
Hey Ben boo bam, pizza is not new.
Maybe they couldn't keep up with all the dust on the wax. eeeewww, so morbid.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-23 01:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-21 23:52, smogbreather wrote:
think I've gotta go before they shut it down and see how Frankie's held up!
Holden

Let me know Smoggy!
I see a "Tiki Time Shell" in the works!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-23 8:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-23 01:01, Unga Bunga wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-10-21 23:52, smogbreather wrote:
think I've gotta go before they shut it down and see how Frankie's held up!
Holden

Let me know Smoggy!
I see a "Tiki Time Shell" in the works!

When's the official shut down date? Should we do a pilgrimage? I'll try to dig up some of the old b-day pic's - they're pretty hilarious! They're circa approx. 1971-5; classic!
Holden

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-23 9:19 pm   Permalink

I want to go Too!!! Let's figure it out!!!
Later,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 08:50 am   Permalink

Man - I'd love to see it one last time.... anyone have a date in mind?

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 8:45 pm   Permalink

What - no takers?

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 10:52 pm   Permalink

If I didn't have so much going on before Halloween, I'd definitely go. Why oh why couldn't they have chosen a different month to close in

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

View Profile of TikiTikiBoom Send a personal message to TikiTikiBoom  Email TikiTikiBoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mystiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 12:37 am   Permalink

Oh goodness! Well, we'll be passing through just in time then to stop in before it closes. I wonder what's going to happen to the sculptures?

Rae

Jamio Designs (jamio.com)-Taboo Tiki and Kustom Kulture Art

View Profile of Mystiki Send a personal message to Mystiki  Email Mystiki Goto the website of Mystiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 3:06 pm   Permalink

Apparently, when your a kid, things are more acceptable (reg. visually)? Some of the photos from their website are plain lousy.
They sure did a lousy job on John Lennon.

What the hell is Jethro sittin on with that shit grin.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation