FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food cuban rum bought in mexico?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
cuban rum bought in mexico?
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 7:38 pm   Permalink

well can i bring it back?...im hoping if its just a bottle or 3 of havanna club, they'll let me, but i dont want to be hassled, anyone got any suggestions?

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-20 9:04 pm   Permalink

The worst they can do is pour it out (horrors!)

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 07:59 am   Permalink

Umm...ship it to yourself?

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 08:12 am   Permalink

I think there is thread about this somewhere. Yes, you can legally bring back a small amount, a bottle or two I think. My wife and I go to Baja several times a year and bring back tequila and cuban rum. YUM!

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez

Posted: 2005-10-21 08:43 am   Permalink

How are you getting there?
Cruise lines are more particular than other ways. They'll keep or pour out anything they don't feel you should have. Cuban cigars, too. Every cruise line has their own policy, though.
If you are driving, I don't think it will even matter.
While you are at it, bring back some non-US Coca-Cola (the ones overseas use Cane Syrup instead of High-Fructose Corn Sweetener) and make a real Cuba Libre the way they used to taste...

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rotterdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 09:16 am   Permalink

You could pour it in another bottle.

View Profile of Tiki Rotterdam Send a personal message to Tiki Rotterdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 10:01 am   Permalink

im flying there, all i want is a bottle of each of the havanna clubs(i believe there are 3)...problem is, im always red flagged at the airport for the "random" search (could be the long hair and tattoos) so maybe the wifes carry on would be best. what i dont understand from reading the old thread on this subject is why do they sell this stuff in duty free stores in the airport if they dont want you to buy it......

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-10-21 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-21 08:12, Digitiki wrote:
Yes, you can legally bring back a small amount, a bottle or two I think.

No you cannot. You can bring up to 1 liter (not much) of tequila or legal booze but you cannot bring back any Cuban rum or cigars or other products. By law they can confiscate the rum, plus if they disover it your car may be searched very thoroughly which will delay you for a long time.

From the State Dept.:
Quote:
If U.S. travelers return from Cuba with Cuban origin goods, such goods, with the exception of informational materials, may be seized at Customs' discretion. [Section 515.204 of the Regulations.] Cuban cigars and rum are routinely confiscated at U.S. ports of entry. The fact that Cuban cigars and rum are purchased in a "duty free" shop at the Havana Airport does not exempt them from seizure by US customs. There are no limits on the import or export of informational materials [Section 515.206 of the Regulations]. Such materials, for example books, films, tapes and CDs, are statutorily exempt from regulation under the embargo and may be transported freely. However, blank tapes and CDs are not considered informational materials and may be seized.

That's not to say I have not successfully brought back several bottles of cuban rum in my luggage driving across. I told the border agent I had a bottle of tequila when they asked if I was bringing anything across.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 7:58 pm   Permalink

welp, it looks like wilma is smashing the place we were supposed to go to next weekend, so maybe im not going after all......

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-22 3:34 pm   Permalink

You can always come over to my house if you want some!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-22 8:47 pm   Permalink

Got it at Casa de Ferretta as well...

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-23 08:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-21 10:01, hala bullhiki wrote:
all i want is a bottle of each of the havanna clubs(i believe there are 3)...

Sorry but there's 5 that I know of

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-23 7:21 pm   Permalink

shit, thanks, i thought it was just a white,gold and dark, do they have aged ones as well??

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 04:26 am   Permalink

Anejo Blanco - white rum
Anejo 3 Anos - Very light yellow rum
Anejo Especial - Golden rum
Anejo Reserva - Dark (ish) rum
Anejo 7 Anos - Dark (ish). This is the best tasting in my opinion.

Mahalo

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 11:46 pm   Permalink

How are you coming to/from Mexico? If you are flying, you can stash the rum in your baggage. You have to declare all of this to customs, but they don't always check the baggage for items. I've declared and brought back 4 bottles of Jamaican rum from Ocho Rios, and customs never even checked them. And I've known people (not me, of course) to bring back Cuban cigars stashed in baggage which customs didn't even bother to check.

If you are driving across the border, they also may not check. But if you are walking across, then that is the greatest chance they will check what you have.

BTW, I think customs changed the rules, and you can now bring 1.5 liter of alcohol per adult aged 21 or over. So if you go with a significant other and you are both over 21, you can bring back 3 liters without paying extra. One final thing, 60% of the Cuban cigars you buy in Tijuana (and I presume in many other Mexican border cities) are fakes. This was reported in the local San Diego press some years ago. I presume the Cuban rum is the real thing, but caveat emptor.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation