FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Central Ohana » » Wilma
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Wilma
heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 3:40 pm   Permalink

WOW...gorgeous!!! what a trooper! maybe this orchid should meet SHECKY!

most of all, i'm glad you guys & Mrs. Peel are okay!

View Profile of heelgrinder Send a personal message to heelgrinder  Email heelgrinder Goto the website of heelgrinder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
codelisa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 9:50 pm   Permalink

I spoke to my sister from Margate, 20 min. due west of the Mai Tai, earlier tonight. Her home phone is out and it's nearly impossible to get thru on her cell. It sounds like they had damage similar to Chip and Andy's (amazing pictures - glad you made it thru OK). She said that 98% of Broward County and 98% of Dade County have no electric. Lots have no water also. And....it could be weeks until the electric is restored. The good news is that most the damage involves fences, roofs, fallen trees, etc. and most homes are intact. There's all kinds of debris strewn everywhere and it's a long and arduous journey to get anywhere by car. All the schools are closed for the entire week - 1st time ever! My sister & her family went to Orlando today to stay with another sister. A normal 3 hr. drive took 6½ hrs. Everyone else had the same idea I guess - head north where there's electricity, water & gas. They saw cars stranded on the side of the Turnpike, out of gas. All I can say is....good luck to all. We're thinking of you and hoping your electric comes back much sooner than expected.

Have a drink on me...

[ This Message was edited by: codelisa 2005-10-25 21:55 ]

View Profile of codelisa Send a personal message to codelisa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 07:33 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:28 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 5:40 pm   Permalink

happy to see the orchid survived so well. Happy to hear most everyone is safe and sound but for exterior things. Really sorry to see the Mai Kai handled so roughly by Wilma, it was disgusting.
Sherry and I are OK. We lost 4 fence panels that Jimmy Mooney helped me repair yesterday (or should I say I helped him repair) THANKS Big time Jimmy.
We didn't really expect this much from Wilma and we slacked off a bit, one area being Sherry's orchids. They live on the west fence and Loved it there under a large Oak tree. We decided to just set them on the ground up next to their fence.
That was the fence that was blown down,, On the orchids. That was the worst of the bad.
We don't have electric like most of south Fla and are promised to have it back by Nov 15. We have a generator tho so that gives us half a home. Sherry just setup a dial up connection so we can surf the net Sloow style. Not as fast as cable but better than nothing.
Happy to be Back..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 07:54 am   Permalink

Ben, sorry to hear of your loss.
Orchids are very dear to some of us, and I know you and Sherry hated to see yours treated so roughly. BUT- orchids are also tough little sum'bitches too! I'd bet most, if not all of yours will bounce back if repotted and largely IGNORED. Hope so, anyway. Best wishes from Michéle and I with your plants and property.

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 08:04 am   Permalink

GAWD! I just don't know how much more of this the people of the gulf coast states can take! Tikilicious still hasn't checked in to let us know if she's ok

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 08:54 am   Permalink

I sincerely hope everyone in the path of Wilma is OK. I have spoken to family and friends in the area, and other than no electricity, they are fine, no major damage. I am worried about the Mai Kai too; any news there?

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 09:23 am   Permalink

All better now, hurricanes are gone.

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:55 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 10:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-27 09:23, Chip and Andy wrote:
Tikilicious is OK, her place is OK, Steve is OK. Her parents live in Aventura to our south and they still have hot water so she was headed that way for a hot shower.

Thanks Chip and Andy for the news on Tikilicious

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 6:26 pm   Permalink

The orchids were just recovering from last year and were mashed pretty well. We gave them to our neighbors and to Jimmy Mooney with instructions to just repot them and hang them in partial shade and to ignore them and they will come back good as ever.
As for us? By next hurricane season we hope to be well enough inland where they don't even know how to spell hurricane!
Hope every one else is coping well with the aftermath.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-28 06:17 am   Permalink

That sounds like a plan, Ben. Just don't take it to extremes- I'm sure Montana is pretty safe, but a LONG way from a Hukilau!

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
otikiniko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-28 07:03 am   Permalink

I figured it was time to check in since I have literally spoken to nobody since Wilma hit. If you've seen the path she took you'll notice it apparently crosses directly over my home in NW Broward County. We got lucky, I know this from seeing the damage within a stone's throw from the house. Know that ALL of the SoFla Ohana have been in my thoughts the entire time.

View Profile of otikiniko Send a personal message to otikiniko  Email otikiniko Goto the website of otikiniko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-30 06:23 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:29 ]

codelisa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-31 08:57 am   Permalink

Keeping fingers crossed for your electric to be back on real soon Chip and Andy. Reports I've been getting concur with yours. Every day more and more lights are popping back on. Some grocery stores are even getting perishable items back on the shelves. The schools are scheduled to reopen on Thurs. Hang in there things are getting closer and closer to normal.

Have a drink on me...

View Profile of codelisa Send a personal message to codelisa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-31 1:20 pm   Permalink

Glad to hear from more of the ohana!
Today is the first day that I've had access to land line phone service since Wilma hit. Phone service has been more scarce than power in some places.

Very lucky on all fronts on my end. No power at work or where I'm staying in Boca Raton, but my place in Miami is unscathed (yes, no power but that's 42 miles from me). Got a great attitude and willing to help anyone that needs it.

Many of us have been very lucky. While no power may be uncomfortable, it is by no means what lack of water is. Tikilicious was without any running water until just before the weekend, as well as many folks to the north. I'm grateful to have kept the luxury of water, boil ordinance & all.

Best wishes to rest of the ohana. We know not everyone has checked in, but we are thinking of you all the same.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation