[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Central Ohana Wilma
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Wilma
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-01 12:40 pm   Permalink

I am hoping everyone is getting back together OK.
My Power just came on,,,Huraaay!
Now we leave tomorrow for an Alabama wedding and we'll be back Sunday to finish getting everything back in order.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-01 6:09 pm   Permalink

best wishes to Ben and everyone else who suffered through
the 'canes...I was a bit surprised to hear that Ben is just
getting power back now....up here we just get tons and tons
of snow and cold weather...nothing that really shuts us down.
good luck!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-01 10:58 pm   Permalink

Yeah, lots of people expected this one to not be that bad. Thus, that under preparedness let to severe shopaholicism due to desperation. Add that to lack of patience and its a mess.

Power really was that wrecked. They turned on power to those they could after essential repairs to substations and are working to fix the bigger difficulties, like the mass amount of downed power lines and traffic signals. BUT this is actually very fast if taken in historical context and the extent of the damage. Compared to Hurricane Andrew, wicked fast.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-02 12:26 pm   Permalink

Just got back online. So "officially" Wilma was only a Category One - I don't believe that. I only lost a little bit of my wood fence and had my car scratched by flying debris. Being without power caused alot of problems - no gas, no phones and no internet. Older buildings got damaged and there are no trees that didn't have some sort of damage.

I have been through alot of hurricanes and can not remember having a better time than this one. Here's my timeline: Sunday spent putting up shutters. Monday morning riding out the storm with my family playing games and cards. Monday afternoon cleaning up. monday night sitting out in front of the house looking up at the most stars ever seen in South Florida (it was like being out in the middle of nowhere). Tues - Wed was beautiful, cool weather for cleaning up and feasting like a king (had to empty the fridge/freeze). Wednesday night the wife had enough of my positive attitude so she decided we would go visit my family in the Panhandle till the power came on. We made it as far as Orlando where we spent 2 days at Disney (it was either Disney or a generator and ther were no generators to be found). Friday night we were ready to move on when we got word the power was back on in my nieghborhood. Saturday and Sunday spent surfing and drinking. monday was Halloween. Tuesday back to work and now I have get ready for the Ft Lauderdale Boat Show. The worst thing that happened was that I ran out of rum on Saturday - the same day the liquor store down the street re-opened.

My condolances for all those in bad shape or without power but I'll take this past week over any of my other hurricane experiences.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation