FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events new years eve 2005- so cal-Thanks Everybody
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
new years eve 2005- so cal-Thanks Everybody
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 6:09 pm   Permalink

The Grand Marina Suite Reservation has been cancelled due to lack of necessity (everyone obtained their own rooms. Probably the best idea).

Monk

[ This Message was edited by: monkeyman 2005-12-04 08:10 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 09:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-24 18:09, Monkeyman wrote:
OK....

I reserved one of the Grand Marina Suites at Humphreys. The total cost for 2 nights (including tax) is $1,015.

Thats $126 per person who stays in the room if there are 8.

I made the reservation because its easy to cancel and costs nothing as long as the cancellation is made more than 24 hours before the arrival date.

Just keeping our options open.

The Grand Marina suites have connecting rooms (standard size) that can be had for $160 p/night.

Depending on how friendly folks want to be we could get 20 people into two Grand Marina Suites and have everyone taken care of for about $60 p/night.

Bring Earplugs

[ This Message was edited by: monkeyman 2005-10-24 19:08 ]

ok, it sleeps 8, but how many bedrooms does it have--are the rest sofabeds or ??
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-25 10:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-24 18:09, Monkeyman wrote:

Bring Earplugs

And eye shades!

mrs miley - the suite has 2 Queens in the bedroom and 2 (full-size?) sleeper sofas in the living room

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2005-10-25 10:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2005-10-25 10:49 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 2:24 pm   Permalink

Here is the scoop on the Bali Hai Celebration:

When- December 31st, 2005
Where- Bali Hai "South Pacific Room" (Downstairs from the restaurant)
Price- $85 Paid in Advance

http://www.balihairestaurant.com

Timeline:

note- As you might expect, drinks are not included but are available all night.

6:30pm - 7:30pm Hosted Appetizers
7:30pm - Deluxe Buffett

Buffet will have: Hawaiian Blackened Prime Rib, Sweet and Sour Shrimp, Salmon Imperial, Kahlua Pork and full Salad Bar.

9:15pm - 10:15 pm Open dancing with a live band. (come on a wiggle it just a little bit)

10:15pm Bali Hai Polynesia Floor Show !!!!!

11:15pm More Dancing to a live band

12:00 am Midnight countdown. Party favors and Champagne are provided.

1:30 am Last Call

2:00 am End of event.

Reservations. I can reserve a block of tickets for us so that there is ample table space but we are individually responsible for calling the Bali Hai and providing payment. Call the Bali Hai directly 619-222-1181 Mention you are with Tiki Central

The tables seat 10-12 people and I would like to provide the Bali Hai with an estimated head count.

Those who are interested but haven't responded please let me know so that I can reserve at least 2 tables.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2005-10-25 15:22 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-25 2:39 pm   Permalink

What's the deadline for paying the Bali Hai for the event? Any idea what kind of band is going to play? Hawaiian music?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 3:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the great questions all. It just gets better....

I was told that payment could be made as late as early December so long as I reserve us a block of tickets/seats. I asked for 20 seats so far.

The band is known as the Royal Polynesians. Here is a link to their website. They are the dance band in addition to providing the backup for the floor show.

http://www.hookupu.org/royal.htm

For anyone interested in seeing photos from the Bali Hai New Years celebration from 12/31/05 check out the link below.
http://www.hookupu.org/Hookupu_Bali05.htm

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2005-10-25 15:15 ]

floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 9:15 pm   Permalink

Monkeyman, your goal of economy is dear to my heart. Last year, I had a room on the Lanai and what was it, $80 sumthin'(?) times two, plus drinks and whatever food they had at the on-site restaurant. Those were the days.

I think that there is no better time than New Year's to sleep eight to a room!

Myself, I can't see that any floor show can compare to the parties in a couple of rooms that we were able to enjoy last time. The show at the Reef was a great kickoff, but I'd hate to see that the absence of a party in the Reef would keep us from a place in which we may have more freedom. A small drum circle of incompetents (with fools like myself for example), plus (universe willing) a ukelele instigator around the pool, would trump any floor show, in my crusty opinion.

San Diego may be a more popular destination for tourists at this time of year and perhaps there will probably be more "normals" there to adjust for than at Palm Springs.

Is P.S. completely out of the picture? After the slagging the management received after Oasis, I could understand if they are gun-shy. I thought they did fine. I'm glad to see that we haven't entirely dismissed them as a option.

Either way, I am so grateful that you have taken up the gauntlet, muh man!

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-10-25 9:41 pm   Permalink

WooHooo! Countdown....only 72 more days until New Year's Eve PM me or go to www.packyoursuitcase.joystar.com if you need help making any of your travel arrangements out here to Sunny Southern California!!

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 11:00 pm   Permalink

I am not opposed to Palm Springs at the CT but just was not sure if it will be the experience we are all expecting it to be this time. I wonder how much of last years gathering was just about the right place at the right time?

No one enjoyed the "flavor" of last years unofficial event more than me however it might be fun for us to do something different. I have been wanting to organize something for the Tiki Ohana here in my home city of San Diego but there is a friggin wedding at the Bali Hai every darn weekend for all eternity and the Half Moon in goes from expensive to REALLY expensive during the warmer times of year here.

The truth is I would be just as happy with a bang up house party but then where does everyone sleep when its over? The difference is that if we host it in San Diego, I will make sure that we have an itinerary worth the trip. I already have a commitment from a Key artist in the area to allow a visit to his home bar. (wink wink) I know that we have others who have volunteered to host us for an hour or two.

I will migrate with the interests of the group. At this point everything can easily be undone. I would bear no grudges or hold any hard feelings...honest.

If you have an opinion on this event and the venue would change your decision to attend or not, please let us know. Obviously we want people to attend.

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 2:47 pm   Permalink

Count me in on the suite!
Last year at the CT would be a hard act to follow. Like you said Monk, I think it was the "suddeness of the moment" kind of thing.
I'll go wherever the party is. (No news to you guys)

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-10-27 10:35 am   Permalink

Those interested can get a great deal on a room at the Best Western Shelter Island...."Stumbling/Crawling distance from the Bali Hai" according to an employee there! Rooms for $89-109/night if you have AAA or entertainment cards....This is the info I recieved 2 days ago....you gotta call for yourself to verify!
SoccerTiki

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 1:11 pm   Permalink

Ahhhh, San Diego in December. The romance, the relaxation, the RUM! See y'all there for some Goof Punch! Thanks, Monkeyman for bringing this (and us) all together.

-Weird Uncle Tiki

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-03 08:53 am   Permalink

The good news is that we still have a bit of time to get this event in order. I would like any more feed back that you all have to offer.

Would you attend if the costs were lower?

Would you not attend at all simply because its a busy time of year for many folks (travelling, visiting family etc).

Do we want less of a proper shebang and more of a casual get together at someones home (then theres transportation).

What is worth travelling for (for those of you who would have to fly or drive a long distance)?

Do we need entertainment to make it festive or just the drunken revelry to keep us entertained?

A few of you have mentioned skipping the Bali Hai New Years event and just hanging out in the restaurant. I am not sure about New Years but I know that on an average weekend, they close at 9 or 10 pm and they promptly shut down the kitchen, turn off the lights, and boot you out.

Do we have any more takers on the suite? It is far too costly of a room for most of us individuals and would need to have at least 6 people in it to be on par with the cost of a single room.

Comments, Questions?

SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-11-03 09:37 am   Permalink

Monkeyman-
WooHooWahine and I are in for the weekend on Shelter Island!!! We have at least one other couple who have booked a room at the Best Western and probably a few more to come. We definitley like the idea of the party at Bali Hai!!! Who all is in for it? Is it a definite???? Rooms are cheap ($89-129/night) AND the evening at the Bali Hai is on the low-end side of cost for a New Year's Eve night out.......
SoccerTiki

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-11-03 09:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-25 15:12, Monkeyman wrote:
Thanks for the great questions all. It just gets better....

I was told that payment could be made as late as early December so long as I reserve us a block of tickets/seats. I asked for 20 seats so far.

The band is known as the Royal Polynesians. Here is a link to their website. They are the dance band in addition to providing the backup for the floor show.

http://www.hookupu.org/royal.htm

For anyone interested in seeing photos from the Bali Hai New Years celebration from 12/31/05 check out the link below.
http://www.hookupu.org/Hookupu_Bali05.htm

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2005-10-25 15:15 ]

Monkeyman-
After checking out the pics from last year I am even more psyched! It looks like a fun time! Definitely nice to dress casual Hawaiian (Tiki) for a change (instead of a stuffy suit!) However a bamboo suit would always fit in!!! Ringing in the New Year "Polynesian" style will be perfect!!!
SoccerTiki

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation