FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events new years eve 2005- so cal-Thanks Everybody
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
new years eve 2005- so cal-Thanks Everybody
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-03 10:52 am   Permalink

... or try the la posada in albuquerque... with burt's tiki bar right around the corner, you're in tall cotton... add to that the fact that driving drunk is not only acceptable, it is a requirement in new mexico...

http://www.laposada-abq.com/default.htm

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-11-03 11:21 am   Permalink

I was lucky enough to have brunch at the Islands/Hanalei in SD this weekend and I thought it was one of the best commercial places I've seen. I just love the waterfalls! And, the sushi was very decent, and the champagne didn't STOP coming!

Are they doing anything for new years? I notice all their rooms are in the $120 area, and I love the retro balconies overlooking the moai pool area.

Also, next door at the Town & Country - a fab little (non-tropical, mostly) retro place with reasonable rates - there is an old tiki on top of an outdoor gazebo.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-11-03 11:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-03 11:21, dangergirl299 wrote:
I was lucky enough to have brunch at the Islands/Hanalei in SD this weekend and I thought it was one of the best commercial places I've seen. I just love the waterfalls! And, the sushi was very decent, and the champagne didn't STOP coming!

Are they doing anything for new years? I notice all their rooms are in the $120 area, and I love the retro balconies overlooking the moai pool area.

Also, next door at the Town & Country - a fab little (non-tropical, mostly) retro place with reasonable rates - there is an old tiki on top of an outdoor gazebo.

Plus, the Hanalei is close to Albie's Beef Inn, my favorite place for a steak in a room decorated with paintings of nude women, followed by a drink and a dance at the great piano bar. Also, right next to the Town and Country is another old piano bar (unfortunately it was redocorated recently).

But I'm game for either location in SD. I'll go in on the suite at the Hanalei if we get enough people (say 5 or more per suite). If we don't I'll probably stay at the Best Western. And I'm in for the Bali Hai event.

It sounds like the Tropics in Palm Springs is definitely out (that's fine with me) and I'm not really into staying at some other location in the desert that's devoid of tiki.

C'mon folks! Let's hear from some of the hoiti-toitis!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-03 12:49 pm   Permalink

Update-

BALI HAI- The Bali Hai Restaurant will CLOSE at the normal time of 9pm on New Years Eve. The only way to enjoy the Bali Hai beyond that time is to be part of the organized festivities.

HALF MOON INN- I have a commitment from a group sales rep to honor the $144 rate for everyone in our group if we reserve enough rooms. Please contact me to find out how to be part of the group rate.

The $$UITE- The suite would certainly give us a place to gather but if everyone wants to stay in their own rooms (I dont blame you) then this cost would be too much for a few people to manage.

HANALEI HOTEL- Some of you have been expressing interest in the Hanalei. I inquired about the room rates and New Years Eve festivities.

The room rates on those dates are $125-130 p/night. For an extra $15 p/night, I think the Half Moon Inn is a MUCH better experience. Mission Valley (the area of SD that its located in) is surrounded by Shopping Malls and Freeways. The Half Moon Inn is practically surrounded by water.

I inquired as to the details of the New Years function and also if the Islands Room is available for private parties. At the very least I would see if the restaurant was OPEN late enough where we could hang out there. When I hear a reply, I will let all of you know.

I will serve the interests of the group.

Speak UP y'all.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2005-11-03 12:52 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-11-03 4:41 pm   Permalink

If people are interested in Bali Hai for the New Year's Eve celebration, then staying within staggering distance makes more sense! There is Humphreys, The Best Western, and another hotel in between.....The Hanalei is nice, but requires 15-20 minuntes of driving between Bali Hai.....With room rates between $89-144 within walking distance....To me its a no brainer.....What's a DUI these days??? $10,000?????? (Not to mention the safety factor!)
Maybe meet at the Hanalei for brunch on Ney Year's Day? Monkeyman-How many do you have for the NYE party so far?
SoccerTiki

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-04 12:21 am   Permalink

Seems sensible to add the Hanalei to the brunch options! Certainly, for those of us who've not seen it a field trip is in order.

But the idea that's really getting through to me is that the Hanalei sounds mighty interesting for Oasis, actually...so I'll nip on over to that thread and say so.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-04 08:33 am   Permalink

A shebang always sounds good to me! Got a room at Humphrey's and am planning on tippling in the New Year at the Bali Hai, having too many Goof Punches, wobbling back to the hotel and continuing the celebration there. Brunch at Hanalei sounds like the right strategy, too. As what's his face in that T.V. show used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together." Okay!

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-04 10:35 am   Permalink

Our vote goes for the "Half Moon Inn/Bali Hai/Room Party Afterward" plan. The other ideas are also good but I think people would get the most "tiki" experience from a Shelter Island event. We live just 20 minutes from Shelter Island and go there often. Love it there and never get tired of it. We'll book a room at the Half Moon Inn as soon as its clear that plan is going to happen. We'd like to reserve our own room, probably not part of the suite. The old style floor show at the Bali Hai is something we definitely don't want to miss. Also, count us in for any other plans at other San Diego tiki establishments. Looking forward to a great event in San Diego!!!

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-11-04 1:36 pm   Permalink

I just got off the phone with Bali Hai. They will begin taking reservations for New Years Eve on Nov.15th. You can go in and purchase tickets or make reservations over the phone with a credit card. WooHooo! Sounds like a Fun Night!!!!

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-04 4:44 pm   Permalink

when you make your bali hai reservations make sure you tell them you are with Tiki Central.

They have set aside a block of tickets for us.

Thanks

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-05 11:52 am   Permalink

Thanks, Monkeyman! This is shaping up to be quite an evening and I can't wait to revel with the whole gang. By the way, although it's non-tiki, a visit to Albie's Beef Inn is a must! I've thanked The Jab many times for introducing me to this amazing joint. See you all December 31!

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tigerlily

Posted: 2005-11-06 10:27 am   Permalink

Hi this sounds like fun!! I would like to go but don't know anyone. Is it an open event? Do I need to sign up? I've been collecting tiki for years but just found out about this site.

View Profile of Tigerlily Send a personal message to Tigerlily      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-06 8:06 pm   Permalink

All are welcome. Its an open event.

Read through this thread to get info on how to reserve a hotel room and space at the New Years event.

SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-11-07 11:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-06 20:06, Monkeyman wrote:
All are welcome. Its an open event.

Read through this thread to get info on how to reserve a hotel room and space at the New Years event.

The first couple events WooHooWahine and I went to, we didn't know anyone, heck we still don't know most!!! But every time we go to a "tiki" event we meet great people and have a great time!!!!! Makes us want to host something of our own....maybe....
If you need any help reserving a room PM WooHooWahine and she'll be more than happy to help you!!!
SoccerTiki

[ This Message was edited by: SoccerTiki 2005-11-07 11:15 ]

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tigerlily

Posted: 2005-11-07 12:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info. I just read thru the whole thread to figure out what is going on. Sounds great. I'll make room reservations for two nights at Half Moon Bay and call on the 15th for the floor show reservation.
Tiffany

View Profile of Tigerlily Send a personal message to Tigerlily      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation