[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mai Kai in bad shape following Wilma
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mai Kai in bad shape following Wilma
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 1:31 pm   Permalink

A friend of my uncle's lives near the Mai Kai. She told him that about 50% of the Mai Kai was destroyed. She was only able to talk about 30 seconds since her cell phone was dying. As soon as I hear more from her, I'll post it here.

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 1:38 pm   Permalink

This is an official update to this posting. I have just recently spoken with Pia from the Mai Kai. She is in Atlanta trying to get back into Florida from a trip her and Drew had been on but cannot. She also updated me on the Mai Kai as she spoke to the owner about noon today.

Turns out, there is significant damage. All exterior. There is a little flooding inside behind the stage area but everything else inside is intact. You cannot get into the restaurant at this time due to debris on the streets and there is damage to the plank bridge going into the Mai Kai.

Pia and I both are unable to return to our homes to asess the damage there. I tried to get down 95 but was turned away once I got towards Ft. Pierce. I probably won't be able to get back to Hollywood for at least 4 days or so.

This is the worst that Broward County has been hit in 50 years. I just saw pictures from just down US1 from my house and it looks absolutely horrible. I can only hope that things are okay.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 1:38 pm   Permalink

Oh dear, this could be terrible. I tried calling the Mai Kai, but got "all circuits are busy" -- it's probably just as well, I'm sure they've got their hands full at the moment. I've got my fingers crossed for them!

Edit after seeing Kiliki's post -- sad to hear that the Mai Kai's been damaged, but it's encouraging to hear that the interior seems okay. I hope that the structural integrity of the building is okay; I imagine the roof repair & other repairs will not come cheaply. Kiliki, I hope you're able to get home sooner rather than later, and that your own home is okay.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu 2005-10-25 13:42 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 1:58 pm   Permalink

Last year Pia said the main structure of the Mai-Kai is steel and is very strong.

Let's hope the best for the Mai-Kai and the residents of the affected areas. When the quake hit the San Francisco bay area in 1989, information was sketchy and always exaggerated "the whole Marina district is on fire" ," the Bay Bridge FELL DOWN!". Hopefully the facts will be much better once inspections can truly begin.

To the Mai-kai's 50th anniversary!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2005-10-25 14:02 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 2:01 pm   Permalink

geez, that sucks.

we hope you all are doing well.

this is getting kind of old.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-25 13:38, Humuhumu wrote:
...I tried calling the Mai Kai, but got "all circuits are busy" -- it's probably just as well, I'm sure they've got their hands full at the moment...

... its usually best to make calls only if it is an emergency... non-emergency calls tend to tie up the lines and may prevent serious calls from getting through to help in an emergency...

... folks in the stricken areas need as much help from the outside as possible... give blood and money...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 3:29 pm   Permalink

Dammit! Let's all buy one of their Mystery Drink bowls from the gift shop to give them a cash injection. Better make that two... This is probably a dumb question but do they have insurance?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 3:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks Humu -

Reports from Chip and Andy say that my place is intact other than a shutter or two. That's a huge sigh of relief after hearing some reports off of the radio today and after arriving here at my boyfriends place last night and no longer seeing the beautiful dock that graced the shore.

This Wilma was a strong one.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 3:44 pm   Permalink

I'll be watching this post... I like to hear that things are "Exaggerated" hopefully some pictures will say more than rumors - please post when possible.... I'm sure people in the area have better things to do, but when you can.

good wishes to people in the areas effected.

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 4:33 pm   Permalink

Mai Kai steel structure

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 8:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-25 15:29, pappythesailor wrote:
Dammit!
. . .

This is probably a dumb question but do they have insurance?

I feel your pain.

No, a very good question. But not just general insurance, but possibly specialized coverage, like hurricane or flood insurance as well, to prevent the "act of god" exception.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 8:40 pm   Permalink

oh god, not the mai kai! and smiley, i remember at hukilau '04 them saying not to worry, as the mai kai has a steel structure as well, good thoughts out for all the florida ohana

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 11:01 pm   Permalink

Wow..this is a major bummer. I just looked at some photos on-line from Sun Sentinel.com and Miami Herald.com. The damage to Broward County is more extensive than I realized. The initial reports I was getting from my dad didn't sound too bad, but it looks like there was alot of damage to downtown Ft. Lauderdale not that far south on US1 from the Mai-Kai. So weird, especially since most of us were just down there only a few weeks ago. In fact I retuned from there almost two weeks ago. There are so many cool things in Ft. Lauderdale that I'm afraid to hear about any damage. I hope the pier in Lauderdale by the Sea is still there. I hope Aruba restaurant near the pier is still there. I hope Pier 66 Hotel didn't get damaged too extensively. And I hope everybody down there can dig themselves out and didn't lose their homes or anything like that. Jeez. Last but not least I hope the damage to the Mai Kai wasn't THAT bad, but I'm afraid to hear. Unbelievable. My mom lives up near Stuart. Her neighbor's home was destroyed. Miraculously my mom's home survived.

Hope things are cool down there soon. Good luck to everyone involved in this mess.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 10:51 am   Permalink

What about the Bahia Cabana?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 11:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-26 10:51, pablus wrote:
What about the Bahia Cabana?

I am told that Jake and Elwood made it through OK.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation