FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mai Kai in bad shape following Wilma
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mai Kai in bad shape following Wilma
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 11:23 am   Permalink

Let's hope the Mai Kai will have the financial reserves (and internal impetus) to renovate, with the 50th coming up being it's inspiration.
And thank the weather gods for waiting until AFTER the Hukilau this time! A pretty close call....I am sure a second strike would have meant the out for Kiliki, as it did for Swanky.

Tiki culture is still a rather frail thing, and can't take double blows like that.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theARTFINK
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-26 11:48 am   Permalink

I live right down the street from the Mai Kai.
after checking my house and neighborhood I ventured
over to the Mai Kai. They Got slapped around a bit.
unfortunatly the front of the building was lying
in the middle of U.S. 1. I moved some of the peices
off the road so they would'nt get run over. I took
some pictures which I will try to get up later
today. I'm sure it looks worse than it really is.

View Profile of theARTFINK Send a personal message to theARTFINK  Email theARTFINK Goto the website of theARTFINK     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 12:08 pm   Permalink

Pablus,

I've tried to get in touch with everyone from the Cabana but cell phone usage is down for the most part. We were to have a meeting today actually.

I can tell you that things are not good down there. I've been told not to return until Sunday at the soonest. I'm bringing lots of gasoline with me for Chip and Andy and a lot of water. I'm thankful that I have a station wagon!! I'm more thankful that I wasn't in the middle of that storm.

I talked with my landlord just a few minutes ago and everything is good. She says there is water damage to my apartment but not extensive.

I'll also try to call Pia soon and see if she had any further information on the Mai Kai. I'm not even sure that she had made it back to Florida yet.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 3:50 pm   Permalink

Here are pics of the Mai Kai in the F.O.M. galleries courtesy of the ArtFink:

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=65

Thank you Hoffa, I know that a lot of folks are concerned about the place and all of you down there.

Ahu

[ This Message was edited by: KuKuAhu 2005-11-07 11:33 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 4:45 pm   Permalink

Man...that...just breaks my heart. I know it was all probably insured but the good folks there, not the least being my good friend Kern, will have a lot of digging to do for the very, very specialized contractors that handle the bamboo and tapa work, thatched roofing, molded fiberglass signage, tiki repair, tropical plants, etc. It's a tough go in today's world. If there is anything I can do for the Mai Kai I'm here. It is my all-time favorite place on Earth.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 4:53 pm   Permalink

Those pictures were really hard to look at, I hope everything goes smoothly and any costs are recouped quickly.

The world without the Mai Kai would be a different place indeed.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 4:58 pm   Permalink

Just to let you guys know, I know this looks bad and it is, but the picture is the hut that was in front, just outside the windows of the Molokai Bar. Pia says that the inside is fine. I plan to also be there when I get back to assist in the cleanup. Right now I think everyone is waiting until the power is restored in that area to get around.

Hoffa, I sent you a private message - check it out.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 5:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-26 16:53, Tikiwahine wrote:
Those pictures were really hard to look at, I hope everything goes smoothly and any costs are recouped quickly.

The world without the Mai Kai would be a different place indeed.

I offer a three cheers salute;
1- to a repaired and fixed Mai-Kai
2- to their 50th anniversary
3- to Kiliki for throwing such great events that give them the money to survive through these hard times!

Hip Hip Hooray!!!!!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Lapu Lapu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-26 5:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks ArtFink for the photos... this is truly a sad moment. The images seem almost surreal in that many of us were just there having the time of our lives at Hukilau. The place was alive with all of us. Echoes of Martin Denny, music, celebration, dance.. mystery drinks. Now it lies silent and broken. Here's looking toward the Mai Kai's 50th anniversary with thatched roof intact. (raise your Yeoman's Grog now)

View Profile of Chief Lapu Lapu Send a personal message to Chief Lapu Lapu  Goto the website of Chief Lapu Lapu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 6:52 pm   Permalink

Yeah BK, I wonder where you could find skilled artisans and people who are in the know about the history and influences behind the Mai Kai?

I'd say Kern could assemble an army with one post here.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 8:05 pm   Permalink

I'll be going by this weekend. I'm hoping my power is on by Saturday but they're saying November 15th, and the water should be safe by that time as well.

The Hukilau

donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 8:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

This is probably a dumb question but do they have insurance?

I would find it very hard to believe if they didn't have some kind of weather damage/hurricane damage insurance. I'm sure they have a variety of policies that not only insure them for things like this but also if a customer gets injured on the premises, the employees get injured, and so forth.

Those pictures don't look so good. The bad news is that the Mai Kai got a bit of a beating. The good news is that it wasn't completely destroyed, and that wasn't out of the realm of possibility. I'm just grateful that it didn't happen that way. But look, these guys aren't new to this. This may be the worst it's ever been, but I'm sure they will bounce back just fine. Christie I think that's a great idea that you are going to volunteer to go down and help with the clean-up. The Mai Kai is not only a very cool place, it's a significant part of Ft. Lauderdale history. If I was living down there, I would totally be there helping out as well. In fact the next time I'm down I have to buy you a couple at the Molokai Bar.

Speaking of Ft. Lauderdale history did the Gateway Theater make it through this thing ok? I have a feeling that that very retro looking marquee they have might be damaged. If anybody swings by there and sees how it is please post it. After all, it IS the theater they premiered "Where the Boys Are" in 1960.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 8:44 pm   Permalink

I know this may sound morbid, but all of the pieces of Mai Kai that can't be reused in the reconstruction, could be auctioned off to help with the rebuilding. The fake tapa facade, stuff like that, I'd want a piece of in a frame on my wall. If they don't want to go that route, could I ask for a piece?

Ask them what they'd like. Donations? Volunteer time anytime I'm in Florida?

I hope they get back on their feet. And soon!!!

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Karbora
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2005-10-26 9:40 pm   Permalink

Christy-

I would like to volunteer my time to assist with the clean up effort at the Mai Kai and any other TCers that need a hand. We were lucky here in Central Florida on this one. So many awesome friends helped me through the devastation of last summer, I would like to pay it back. Trust me, I am an expert at this point when it comes to hauling, chopping and cleaning....and I have a few extra blue tarps lying around as well. Please PM me with details on the work effort and I am there. At least the weather is a little more tolerable this time around which is critical when there is that pesky lack of modern conveniences that follows such an event.......hang in there....

Karbora from Hurricaine Alley

View Profile of Karbora Send a personal message to Karbora      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 9:51 pm   Permalink

BK, I think the alternate name for Tiki Central is "The Mai Kai Army." Somehow I think Kern and the family will have a LOT of passionately devoted, dedicated and knowledgeable help coming their way the split second they're ready for it.

Heck, if I were in Florida I'd be there carefully stashing bits, covering things, cuddling plants and wounded tikis...and glowering menacingly at any suspiciously looterish loiterers. The Mai Kai has some serious guardians and it always will.

I keep repeating to myself "Pia says the inside is fine" over and over. Looking at those pictures hurt. The Mai Kai is my favorite place on earth too--has been since the first moment I drove by on US 1 and felt my heart just about stop. In the midst of that bland, sterile modern commercial landscape...suddenly...a lush, blooming oasis of warmth, heart and spirit. What an incredible place.

We will be there cheering for that 50th anniversary. The Tiki Party to end all Tiki Parties!!! It WILL happen.

Mai Kai forever,

tikivixen

p.s. TG, your idea seems more reverent than morbid. Which is entirely appropriate. Me, I just can't bear the thought of anything from the Mai Kai being...agghh...thrown away.

[ This Message was edited by: tikivixen 2005-10-26 21:52 ]

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation