FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kona Club, Oakland, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Kona Club, Oakland, CA (bar)
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-25 9:55 pm   Permalink

Jab-

You should ask Doug if you could guest bartend on like Sundays. Start something like TV's on Mondays. " True Trops with the Jab!" Get your bud to come and do the trivia!! Start a new tradition, kinda like that football thang the X used to have.

Damn you. I escaped the night before I bailed the island and went to the Kona for 1 beer. Then went to Thalasa for 1 beer and to check out that giant Tiki mask ( wich is freaking giant!!!!). Everyone up there got me so paranoid about having a few and driving on the island. Sooo i went back to my hut and crashed out.

p.s. watching you mix that night at your pad...... you need to be behind a bar!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-26 3:00 pm   Permalink

You should have called me Ben! I would have been the driver. Perhaps when you come back. Have you been to the Alley or Heinhold's First and Last Chance yet? They are my 2 favorite old bars in Oakland.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gmporter

Posted: 2006-03-26 5:15 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know when they will get some outside signs? I've been raving about the place to my friends for months (since November!), but I always have to say "But it says King's X on the outside". Very odd.

View Profile of gmporter Send a personal message to gmporter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-26 7:57 pm   Permalink

You were in Seatle eating BIG food!!!

But I still think you should guest host bartend some of the bay area bars, including the Kona.

Would be cool, on, like, Sundays!.

"the Jabs Mixen' Tiki Drinks Night."

Maybe RoberTiki would have you up to Portland? to make his new tiki bar perfect??

I Will let you know the next time I'm up there and we'll tie one on fo sure. And eat Big food the next day too!

You're a cool cat!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-26 8:33 pm   Permalink

I believe the Kona Club sign isn't finished yet. They are leaving the Kings X sign in place for now, to avoid having to get another sign permit from the city.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
retrodiva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-15 08:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

A new tiki bar from the owner of Club Mallard in Albany and Thalassa in Berkeley.

That makes sense. Thalassa is one of my favorite pool halls and I've always been struck by the great tiki paraphernalia.

We just went to Kona for the first time last night. I've not been hanging around with the right crowd. I had no idea it was even there.

Actually when we drove up it looked like it was closed because all the windows were blacked in. If it weren't for someone walking out the front door we might have driven away.

Totally excellent club. Love the mobile hula girl statue and I WANT WANT WANT the velvet tiki art collection.

Purveyors of gothic fetish, vintage, clothing, shoes, hosiery and more... Please visit us at - http://www.retrodiva.com

View Profile of retrodiva Send a personal message to retrodiva  Goto the website of retrodiva ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-04-15 11:32 am   Permalink

Hi Melissa. It's cooler when it's not obvious from the outside, like a speakeasy

I think I saw you there last night. There were a few Tiki Central members there. I was the drunk guy wearing black spectacles

Anyway, welcome to Tiki Central, but watch the spamming, or you may get a warning from one of our friendly moderators (I'm not one)

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-15 6:17 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC, retrodiva! Hanford & I were there last night with the Jab, here is a picture of Jab and me:

We had a fun time there last night. Decor-wise, they've made a number of small changes that have had a big impact on the overall feel of the place. The jukebox is waaay out of the way now, and the new art additions fill the place in a bit more. There's even an old paint-by-numbers painting that is exactly like one Hanford has! That was cool to see. The drink list has now been printed up for customers, and it's got some great items on it, but the bartenders are still learning how to make the drinks. Like many places, they don't use jiggers or measure, and you can't really make a good, balanced tropical cocktail by eyeballing it. Tiki-Ti, Trader Vic's -- even though the bartenders have been slinging spirits for longer than I've been alive, they measure with jiggers. The Kona Club bartenders were very friendly, and eager to hear feedback about how the drinks could be better, so it's still promising. My feedback was limited to stuff like "easy on the Falernum," but I probably should have pointed out the jigger thing -- though assaulting a bartender's choice of technique is perhaps not the coolest thing to do. Emblematic of why we don't spend more time at Kona Club: at one point, "Friends" was playing on the television at the bar, while "Cheeseburger in Paradise" was playing on the jukebox. But like I said, overall, we had a fun time last night.

More pictures:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/konajab/

Jab and bartender Nanrissa

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-15 9:26 pm   Permalink

It was a good episode of Friends, though.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 10:13 pm   Permalink

I ended up at the Kona Club on Saturday since FI was full.
What a beautiful place inside, I agree with Humu though... The T.V. and jukebox are in need of SERIOUS reprogramming.
The drinks are decent for the price and the vibe was mellow. Overall a very nice bar.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-04-25 11:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-24 22:13, Tiki Royale wrote:

What a beautiful place inside, I agree with Humu though... The T.V. and jukebox are in need of SERIOUS reprogramming.
The drinks are decent for the price and the vibe was mellow. Overall a very nice bar.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm glad to read your positive comments.

As far as the music, there are some great CDs on there. You just have to program it yourself. I have been to bars with worse music. For example, there is the new Martin Denny compilation, an Ape CD, Dick Dale, tons of Hawaiian music (that I'm not familiar with), and plenty of great lounge, 60s soul, etc. If you rely on the customers to play it you may be disappointed. It's hard to please everyone with music but I think that's what they're trying to do.

I have been in there when they had the movie "Gidget" on the TV, and another time they were playing old surfing films. Other times I wasn't happy with what was on ("Friends") but I bet if you asked the staff they would play an old movie. At least the TV is small enough and the bar big enough that you can get away from the TV if it's distracting. Also, they keep the TV's sound off.

I feel like I'm always defending this place, but I would really like to see it succeed as is, otherwise they may feel a need to compromise the atmosphere, or do away with the drink menu, etc.

As much as I LOVE Forbidden Island, I still intend going to the Kona Club regularly. I think that both places can survive, as they are both very different in their approaches.

Also, I think it's somewhat of shame (and I don't understand why) that many of the folks on TC who live fairly close by still have not seen one of Bamboo Ben's masterpieces.

the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-25 12:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-25 11:01, thejab wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-04-24 22:13, Tiki Royale wrote:

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm glad to read your positive comments.

As far as the music, there are some great CDs on there. You just have to program it yourself. I have been to bars with worse music. For example, there is the new Martin Denny compilation, an Ape CD, Dick Dale, tons of Hawaiian music (that I'm not familiar with), and plenty of great lounge, 60s soul, etc. If you rely on the customers to play it you may be disappointed. It's hard to please everyone with music but I think that's what they're trying to do.

I have been in there when they had the movie "Gidget" on the TV, and another time they were playing old surfing films. Other times I wasn't happy with what was on ("Friends") but I bet if you asked the staff they would play an old movie. At least the TV is small enough and the bar big enough that you can get away from the TV if it's distracting. Also, they keep the TV's sound off.

I feel like I'm always defending this place, but I would really like to see it succeed as is, otherwise they may feel a need to compromise the atmosphere, or do away with the drink menu, etc.

As much as I LOVE Forbidden Island, I still intend going to the Kona Club regularly. I think that both places can survive, as they are both very different in their approaches.

Also, I think it's somewhat of shame (and I don't understand why) that many of the folks on TC who live fairly close by still have not seen one of Bamboo Ben's masterpieces.

very well said jab. the one time cleen and i went we had a great time. it is without a doubt one of the most beautiful bars i have ever been to. with the help of humu and hanford we took the juke over for our entire visit and that solved the music issue.

when we went it was not long after it opened so there was no drink menu yet. we drank gin and tonics(tiki? no! good? yes!). they were inexpensive considering the money the owner put into the place and made with premium booze!

my point is that no matter where you go there is always going to be advantages and disadvantages. if the place is gorgeous inside and you don't want it to change you have to support it. you may have to drink a cocktail, listen to music or god forbid ignore a TV that doesn't "fit" with the atmosphere. this in my opinion is a very small price to pay to keep a work of art like the kona UNCHANGED and more importantly in business.

[ This Message was edited by: the drunken hat 2006-04-25 13:14 ]

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-25 8:46 pm   Permalink

Mahalos for da kine words guys !!!!!!

Just remember that the Kona Club is a
" Work in Progress, Home Tiki Bar, Open to the Public."

As Doug says in the Spring 06'Vol.2 No.1 issue of Tiki Magazine, "It takes a little while for a bar to develop a personality of its own. It will be fun watching the little bugger grow."

As we ALL know, Home Tiki Bars are always growing.

Gratzi!!! Gratzi!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-25 9:11 pm   Permalink

Jab and Hat,
Indeed! Next time I will take more time to fully scope the jukebox. The T.V. is unobtrusive and can be easily ignored, especially when sitting in the room around the corner.

Ben,
The interior is truly AMAZING! The details are beautiful and the craftmanship is unsurpassed. I am glad to have finallly been able to see your work in person and up close.

Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 9:27 pm   Permalink

I heard through the grapevine that there is a sign coming soon to the Kona Club. Be on the look out.

I think it's gonna be real similar to this picture below....

..........After one more of these....

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-06-01 21:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-06-01 21:31 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation