FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kona Club, Oakland, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Kona Club, Oakland, CA (bar)
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 2:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-01 10:51, Robertiki wrote:

...Without a sign, my customers couldn't find me...

... a business with no sign, is a sign of no business...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 2:28 pm   Permalink

Man, you guys are ruthless with Robert. It's his opinion of the bar and since this is a forum for tiki, it should be all right to air it out without getting squashed. Everyone has a certain level of expectation of what a tiki bar should be or how it should operate. I've been to a tiki bar in S.F. (that will remain nameless) that has been there for years, but serves pretty lame drinks and has a decor that could be best described as "Hawaiian outhouse" with a smell to match. Now, I don't expect to be served a drink in a tiki mug or scorpion bowl, but they should be able to make a cocktail better than I can at home or provide a little eye candy at the very least.

Here's a question for the TC community:
Just what is your threshold for what constitutes a Real Tiki Bar?

By the way Doug, the Kona ROCKS and is a real tiki bar. It just needs a sign...

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 3:20 pm   Permalink

"seeking a unique Tiki experience in Oakland."

It's far, Oakland is just...so far.

I love everybody. Even Bong, God rest his soul.

Tiki rules, not Tiki rules.

uncle midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaikaina
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-02 05:11 am   Permalink

Growing up, my family owned a diner. For 20 years or more, the only sign was a painted board about 14" x 24" that leaned against the front window. The only advertising was word of mouth, which many argue is the best form of advertising there is. This was not a destination restaurant however - it was a diner located in an alley downtown. I'm not sure that a sign would have helped much. The diner was like a little secret that people wanted to share with their friends. Unfortunately, sometimes the secret is kept too long, and great little bars and restaurants don't get the attention they deserve, and are forced to close. If I were to open a restaurant or a bar, I would definitely have a sign. And a drink menu. And a sterile laboratory where I could produce my fizzy lifting drink. Of course, OSHA regulations would require that I put a cover over the sharp exhaust fan blades at the top of my tower in case that meddling Charlie and his grandfather came by...

View Profile of Kaikaina Send a personal message to Kaikaina  Email Kaikaina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 07:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-01 14:28, quickiki wrote:
Man, you guys are ruthless with Robert. It's his opinion of the bar and since this is a forum for tiki, it should be all right to air it out without getting squashed.

I agree. It's his opinion, he doesn't need it 'corrected'.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 10:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-02 07:45, tikifish wrote:
Quote:

Man, you guys are ruthless with Robert. It's his opinion of the bar and since this is a forum for tiki, it should be all right to air it out without getting squashed.

I don't think people were being mean or "ruthless" to Robert. They are merely pointing out that this discussion is already covered in other threads and that there are as many different ideas of what constitutes a "proper" tiki bar as there are bar patrons. Generally, I think most TCers think it odd to expect a standard cocktail to be served in a tiki mug. Does it really make the place a "tiki bar" only if every drink is served in a tiki mug? No, at least not by my own standards. I think some people here are mistaking "commentary" for "criticism".

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 10:55 am   Permalink

I have mixed feelings; most of the mixed drinks they made me had me feeling great!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-02 11:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-02 07:45, tikifish wrote:
Quote:

I see it as debate and discussion, not squashing or correction.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 11:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-27 18:36, Kono wrote:
GatorRob. Yes, Waitiki sucks. When I first spied this thread my first thought was: "At least you don't have Waitiki!"

The guy who owns Waitiki (Joel) has several bars in that Wall Street Cantina plaza type area. I've heard that he's a stand up guy, but honestly, he's all about getting the young downtown "professionals" drunk and hooked up. He's successful with that formula. The decor is just an aside, and actually it's semi-admirable that he did as good a job as he paid for. It could've been any other "flavor of the moment" type decor but he decided to do Tiki. He did a great job with the decor but the atmosphere is nil. Could've just as easily been a pirate bar or anything else.

GatorRob, like you, I would love to have the Kona Club in my neighborhood, Tampa has nothing! Luckily the home bar is in full effect most weekends

Kono and GatorRob, I must agree that Waitiki is pretty disappointing. The decor is cool, but the service and drinks are way lacking. When we went there a few months ago, a friend I was with grabbed a big blue mug for me hahaha, so that was the best part of the trip even though it was just a Libby mug. (Oh, and I think they had TF Kava bowls.)
But in the end, I would rather have Waitiki rather than nothing some times.

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 12:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I don't think people were being mean or "ruthless" to Robert. They are merely pointing out that this discussion is already covered in other threads and that there are as many different ideas of what constitutes a "proper" tiki bar as there are bar patrons. Generally, I think most TCers think it odd to expect a standard cocktail to be served in a tiki mug. Does it really make the place a "tiki bar" only if every drink is served in a tiki mug? No, at least not by my own standards. I think some people here are mistaking "commentary" for "criticism".

That being said, sorry for even bringing it up. It just seemed the tone of the posts were piling on Robertiki. Some TCers like myself are new here and may or may not be totally familiar with all the threads out there. I know there's a certain TC etiquette out there regarding posting, but jeez, I hope I won't have people jumping all over me regarding not thoroughly searching previous threads.

[ This Message was edited by: quickiki 2006-03-02 12:18 ]

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 12:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-27 17:45, ScottMcGerik wrote:
Quote:

Humuhumu wrote:
The thing to understand about the Kona Club is that it is what it is. ... The reason it isn't quite right as a vintage-style tiki bar is that it's not supposed to be one.

There are a few on this forum who could learn a few things from Humuhumu on how to respond to those of us needing guidance. Humuhumu is correcting while being gentle.

I agree with you McGerik, Humuhumu does keep us civil, at times I feel like a Lost boy listening to Wendy...

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 12:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-27 21:08, bigbrotiki wrote:

Sigh. This might be a shock to some: The Book of Tiki is a piece of mythology. I resurrected a world that had fallen into ruin and made it rise up in the eye of the beholder as a perfect universe. Fact is, it never existed like that. It was flawed and frayed and...human. By picking the best imagery, artifacts and tidbits of stories from the past I created a distorted manipulation of reality, a paradise without the eternal sin. What we seek is the myth, but that is not a bad thing. We need myths to inspire us, and to make us want to create, look how far it has brought us happy "perfect paradise" seekers!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-02-27 21:36 ]

And there you have it. The bottom line.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 9:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Without a menu, I couldn't point customers to spend their money.

He has 2 other bars in the area and I never saw a drink menu at either. Maybe I wasn't looking. (All I know is that when I was at the other bars, they were packed).

And, about the sign/mugs.

All of you should draw and post what you think would be a good sign for the place. And, don't forget the mugs!! Maybe all the pressure would make him cave in and get them. I don't know. Just a thought.

p.s. Sven Rocks!

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. Zombie Village SF, TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Ti

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 10:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-02 21:20, RevBambooBen wrote:
Quote:

Without a menu, I couldn't point customers to spend their money.

All of you should draw and post what you think would be a good sign for the place. And, don't forget the mugs!! Maybe all the pressure would make him cave in and get them. I don't know. Just a thought.
p.s. Sven Rocks!

How come no one has ever come up with a menu on a waterfall?
(If you steal this idea, Unga will sue ya!)

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:
And, about the sign/mugs.

You're on Rev!
Just off the top of my head, how's about something like this:

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation