FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Who ships Orgeat syrup overseas? + looking for cocktails advice
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Who ships Orgeat syrup overseas? + looking for cocktails advice
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-16 10:27 am   Permalink

Hi Tiki Centralites
My wife and I decided to start using the alcohol we have at home to start practicing mixology (with the good help of Beachbum Berry, of course).
Well, since we live in Israel, we were having difficulties getting some of the needed ingredients. For example - Orgeat syrup, Sweet and Sour, Unsweetened Pineapple Juice.
Well - with the juice we thought we'll take a look at oriental grocery stores around here...if not we'll resort to juicing real pineapples...
For the syrups I tried Trader Vic's, placed an order but they got back to me saying they don't ship overseas.
So- anyone know of a place (online hopefully) that ships overseas?

And while were at it - here's what we have (not much, I know), any suggestions for cocktails?

Meyer's Dark Rum
Baccardi Black Rum Superior (this is Dark Rum, right?)
Baccardi Light Rum Superior
Some Apricot Brandi from Belgium
Local Blue Curacao
Local Triple Sec
Local Banana Liquor
"Sport" brand Grenadine

We can maybe get Baccardi Gold here, but other from that, the Rum selection is not very large, to say the least. We think we can find Limes to squeeze, and Orange and Grapefruit Juices are not a problem.

Mahalo

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-16 1:16 pm   Permalink

Not sure if this solution works but we have stores called "Cost Plus" here in the U.S. that carry items from all over the world. I know they sell Orgeat by syrup manufacturer Torani. If they have Cost Plus in Israel they might have what you're looking for. I'm sure Cost Plus deals with international shipments on a regular basis.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-16 3:58 pm   Permalink

You can get a list of links of online suppliers of Torani syrups at the Torani website, under the "find Torani" link:

www.torani.com

Hopefully you can find a supplier that will ship internationally there.

visit Traderpup.com

[ This Message was edited by: Traderpup on 2002-11-16 15:59 ]

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-16 4:02 pm   Permalink

Also, orgeat syrup can sometimes be found as almond syrup or sweet almond syrup

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-16 7:51 pm   Permalink

Kick the Reverb,
I realize this has nothing to do with what you asked, but are you by any chance a member of the surf band The Astroglides?

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-16 11:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the replies PolyPop and TraderPup.
I'll try to see if it works.
Trader Rick - yes of course - I'm the guitar player (and writer of most of the music) of The Astroglides. How did you hear of us?

Mahalo
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 08:28 am   Permalink

OK - an update:
I was near the liquor store (the same one that did not know anything about what I asked a few weeks ago) and decided to give them another chance..here's the score:
1 Baccardi Gold
1 Monin brand Orgeat syrup
1 Monin brand Passion Fruit syrup
1 Sugar Cane syrup

I don't know if the Sugar Cane syrup is compatible to Rock Candy syrup...if not I'm sure I can find something else.

I tried to see if they had any Grenadine made with real fruit, but they didn't. They also didn't have jiggers, and did not know what Martinique Rum was.

Now I just need to find limes to squeeze, some pineapple juice..and then finally start experimenting.

Thanks
Ran

Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-11-16 23:15, kick_the-reverb wrote:
.Trader Rick - yes of course - I'm the guitar player (and writer of most of the music) of The Astroglides. How did you hear of us?

Mahalo
Ran

About a year ago you guys sent me a CD, which I played on my radio show. Also, Iused to be a member of Cowabunga and I remember you saying that surf was unheard of in Israel, so I figured it had to be you b/c what other Israeli would make their screen name kick_the-reverb?

Oh, and back to your question, you would think that with all the aid the US gives Israel, we would be able to get you guys some decent booze! I'm writing to my congressman!

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 4:09 pm   Permalink

Rock candy syrup is easy to make yourself. In Beachbum Berry's Grog Log, there's this recipe: just boil two pounds of sugar in two cups water. When the sugar's thoroughly dissolved (after five minutes or so), cool it and bottle it.

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 4:17 pm   Permalink

Traderpup's recipe is the same I use for making simple syrup, so if you see a recipe that calls for that, there you go. You need to keep it refrigerated, and it'll keep for a couple of months.

Edited to add... never mind, I just noticed Traderpup's recipe calls for 2 pounds, where simple syrup calls for 2 cups...different recipe. Traderpup, do you need to keep rock candy syrup refrigerated?

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu on 2002-11-17 16:19 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 6:42 pm   Permalink

We make ours from turbinado, gives it a neat taste.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 7:01 pm   Permalink

I've kept mine for up to a year in the bar... just make sure you sterilize the bottle and keep it capped... your biggest enemy is ants, so don't keep a pour spout on the bottle

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2002-11-17 10:13 pm   Permalink

I can vouch for Monin - some of their flavors are spectacular. I saw that you found them in a store, but also their website (www.monin.com) specifically lists Israel among the countries they ship to. Monin has an almond syrup (substitutable for orgeat), and a grenadine as well. I'm currently hooked on their "Mint Mojito" syrup, which I mix with seltzer at lunchtime all the time.

BTW, here's a tasty non-alcohol drink, but sorry, no specific measures - just experiment to taste. Get a tall glass and put in a little:
- Mint Mojito syrup
- Passion Fruit syrup
- fresh lime juice (go easy on it)
- a dash or two bitters
and then fill with cold seltzer. Wow, delish!

(Ran, check in next time you're coming to the states again!)

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 11:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys for the responses...
Rick - it IS a shame we don't get the aid in decent booze! *OT - if you want, there's a second album, you can get a promo copy if you want - email me off list -
burnman@netvision.net.il *

Aquarj - thanks for the recipe, I'm glad I found something decent. I read in the Grog Log and Intoxica that only TV's passion fruit syrup has real passion fruit, but Monin has it too, so I'm glad. Also they had Orgeat syrup so I'm set on that.
Next time we come over (possibly to move to the States) we'll definitely make sure we meet at last...
My Rum ignorence has shown through, though - I got Baccardi Gold (and not cheap) - but only after re-reading the introduction to Berry's books I realized it's Puerto Rican Gold and not Jamaican Gold!
And further exposing my ignorance...
What are Angustora Bitters? Berry deosn't explain that, it's probably one of those commonplace items that don't need an explantion, but I still can't figure out what it is...

Mahalo
Ran

Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-18 08:43 am   Permalink

Angostura bitters are kinda tricky to explain.... I kinda equate it to A1 steak sauce for cocktails. Here's some info about bitters from the Webtender:

Bitters are, as their name suggest, a bitter or bittersweet type of spirit made from different herbs, roots and plants. Bitters are used to flavor and add a dry zest to cocktails and cooking. Because of their function as a digestive aid and appetite stimulant bitters are often used in before- and after dinner cocktails (aperitifs and digestifs).

When using bitters in cocktails it is important to be cautious as a little too much can ruin the cocktail. Generally, bitters also have a high alcohol content and should never be used in non-alcoholic drinks.

Angostura bitters were developed in 1824 by Dr. J. Siegert, who intended them for use as a tonic to treat fatigue and stomach ailments. It is now the single most widely distributed bar item in the world.

Angostura Bitters is named for the port town of Angostura, Venezuela, and not for the bark of the eponymous tree. It is made from a secret blend of tropical herbs, plant extracts and spices - reportedly over forty ingredients.

Angostura bitters can make or break a drink. If its in the recipe, the drink absolutely NEEDS it, but just the tiniest bit too much can really screw up the flavor.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation