FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Oasis 6, May 4-7, 2006 **New Info pg. 7**
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki Oasis 6, May 4-7, 2006 **New Info pg. 7**
mig
Official Man-About-Town  

Posted: 2005-10-31 3:29 pm   Permalink

Yipes. This is all tough to swallow, although we did all kind of see a decline coming.

I await further news. I'm jonesing for a large-scale meetup because I couldn't make it to Oasis this year.

So where are we doing new year's?!?

View Profile of mig Send a personal message to mig  Email mig Goto the website of mig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-31 3:41 pm   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17006&forum=4&26

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-31 4:36 pm   Permalink

As I said before, for all he has done (and his great personality) Casey has earned an eternal ZAZZ rating!!!!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2005-10-31 4:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-31 15:29, mig wrote:
Yipes. This is all tough to swallow, although we did all kind of see a decline coming.

Mig, I see you are a "man about town", I am so sorry-when did you become homeless!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-10-31 9:49 pm   Permalink

The High Desert area of Yucca Valley would be a Great New Location for Tiki Oasis. Check out this hotel: www.yuccainn.com

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2005-10-31 10:55 pm   Permalink

Casey
Although it was totally unplanned I'm glad I could inadvertently give you the forum to tell the truth about the tropics.

I have to thank you for not making a big deal out of it sooner out of respect to Tiki News' event and the enjoyment of hundreds at Tiki Oasis. I know you wanted to scream out what assholes the tropics owners were and are but did not want all the Tiki lovers to have a tainted experience while reveling in the history of the tropics for a weekend.

Now that Oasis at the tropics has been laid to rest, let's call it as it is.

These guys are dirty rotten scoundrels and I hope that everyone here joins me in a total lack of support for their business. (I never thought I would say that about a Tiki establishment. sob, sob)

onward and upward
Otto

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-01 02:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-31 08:37, CaseyJPS wrote:
The current Caliente tropics Resort "ownership" consists of Blue Sky Equity Partners (Roger Abbott etal of La Jolla) and Larry Miller of Tiburon. Larry Miller, an attorney who invests in commercial property throughout Palm Springs (plus about eight of his family members)

Casey, can you give us a list (if you have one) of other properties they own, so we can avoid doing business with them?

thanks!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ted tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-01 07:08 am   Permalink

WooHooWahine has a great idea. I don't know if the Yucca Inn has enough room, or even wants us, but it looks great, and it is right by Joshua Tree-I love that place. Camping could be an option for those who can't stay at the hotel. Imagine a Tiki commune in the desert if you will. Otto--give this a thought....

View Profile of ted tiki Send a personal message to ted tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-01 07:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-01 02:19, cynfulcynner wrote:

Casey, can you give us a list (if you have one) of other properties they own, so we can avoid doing business with them?

thanks!

... you might put your energy in to "building" rather than "tearing down"...

... read "The Little Pink Booklet of Aloha" (Serge Kahili King)... to help you better express where you want to be and how to get there...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-01 07:59 am   Permalink

Has anyone considered this place?

I made a post about it a long time ago, as it used to be "Vacation Village" in San diego..the whole island was like the sets from "Fantasy Island"...

http://www.paradisepoint.com/default.aspx?pageid=phototours&tourid=resort

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-01 08:15 am   Permalink

... http://www.bahiahotel.com/welcome4.html?main=nav1&sub=sub4 ...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-11-01 09:37 am   Permalink

I stayed at the Yucca Inn last weekend and the whole time I thought about what a great venue for a tiki event it is.....There are many rooms that open to the pool and about 12 rooms that open to the grass/courtyard area. Many rooms away from the pool (for those who like quiet.) New owners just took over last Friday and might like the idea of a sell-out weekend....They also have a restaurant attached with a bar, stage and dancing area. There are other hotels close by and I'll bet the rates are considerably lower than the C.T. were. Just a thought....
SoccerTiki

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2005-11-01 09:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-31 22:55, Otto wrote:

Now that Oasis at the tropics has been laid to rest, let's call it as it is.

These guys are dirty rotten scoundrels and I hope that everyone here joins me in a total lack of support for their business. (I never thought I would say that about a Tiki establishment. sob, sob)

onward and upward
Otto

Much of the Caliente's appeal for me was Casey's attitude/support/etc. Now that he is gone, the Tropics is just an empty shell....

thejab

Posted: 2005-11-01 10:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-01 07:59, lucas vigor wrote:
Has anyone considered this place?

I made a post about it a long time ago, as it used to be "Vacation Village" in San diego..the whole island was like the sets from "Fantasy Island"...

http://www.paradisepoint.com/default.aspx?pageid=phototours&tourid=resort

What a shame. I think it used to be tiki/Polynesian in the 60s and 70s. Now it just looks nostalgic, upscale, and ugly IMO. At least the Half Moon Inn still has tikis on site and tropical furniture in the rooms.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-01 1:50 pm   Permalink

Yep, that was the last time I went there..the 1970's...and it was very cool. I remember as a kid I loved the bar that my parents where allowed to take us in, and the observation tower, the many pools...it was not all that tiki, more generically tropical..but you felt like you were on a jungle island..there were many pathways thru the foliage with torches lit, and they were not rooms, but bungaloes. I have no idea what it looks like now, but then again, I always hated the desert anyway...much preferring a verdant and tropical envirement to brown dry stretches of desert or rocky mountains entirely devoid of vegetation. I wish the tiki oasis was near the beach, but then again...I guess it would not really be an "oasis"!

No matter where they have it, I am sure it will be fun.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation