FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The second-ever Tiki Central & Munktiki Mug Design Contest!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The second-ever Tiki Central & Munktiki Mug Design Contest!
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 11:31 pm   Permalink

I agree!!! Let Holden play!!!

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-08 12:07 am   Permalink

I agree too. I would Love to see some Holden designs, who knows, all that smog breathing may produce the Perfect mug..
Go Holden.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-08 2:49 pm   Permalink

Smogbreather, I want you to play. Actually, I would have thought that you being at Tikifarm, that you have made many tiki mugs in the past. I want to see what you have to bring to the table. I want to see what everyone has to bring to the table. I love the mug part of tiki (the best part) and I think that this contest is even better yet.

I think it would be good to see tikifarm to have a contest one day. Tikifarm is a different company and would do things diffent and exciting.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-09 8:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-07 22:30, smogbreather wrote:
Why can't I have some fun and offer up a design TeaKey & Maui?
Holden

I didn't say you couldn't play, just thought another contest would give us more chances to win! Let's see what you can do!

Tiki Stickers and more!
www.stuckonmaui.com
Hawaiian Clip art for your Computer
www.islandimages.com

[ This Message was edited by: mauitiki 2005-11-10 11:34 ]

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-09 8:41 pm   Permalink

What? Let the guy who owns the biggest tiki mug production company in the world play?
Only if your kindergarten teacher marked the box next to your name "Plays well with others".

That would be ZAZZ if Holden wants to play. Absolutely!!!

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-12 07:16 am   Permalink

Where do we sign up to be on the list for one of the new mugs?

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-12 12:16 pm   Permalink

Atomicchick,

It's still too early for actual orders. We don't know any details as to how many we'll make, what size they'll be, etc. Only after the judging is over can we begin to sort those details out.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-13 02:04 am   Permalink

I think Holden should play too! But wouldn't it be great to hear some of the "dos & don'ts" of mug design from someone who actually produces mugs? (Meaning the physical limitations of mug molds & mug production vs. drawn up designs) So how 'bout it, Holden? Can you spell out some pointers for the rest of us wannabe mug designers before we get deep into it?

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-13 4:15 pm   Permalink

I have a question. As we have all witnessed, some of our fav tiki mugs have been inspired by indigenous carvings. My inspiration is being drawn to those influences.

Where do the rules stand regarding borrowing aspects of such carvings of antiquity (not referring to any original works by our TC ohana)? Where do we draw the fine line between ripping off from such works?

Hanford, if you need me to email you the entry I'm about to submit to see where it falls, please do let me know.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2005-11-13 16:49 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-13 4:40 pm   Permalink

Not to answer your question, but a traditional tiki mug in itself is a rip-off.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 2:35 pm   Permalink

Unkle reminds me of a hairless zombie mug.

hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 3:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-13 16:15, I dream of tiki wrote:
Where do the rules stand regarding borrowing aspects of such carvings of antiquity (not referring to any original works by our TC ohana)? Where do we draw the fine line between ripping off from such works?

The judging will be based partially on creativity, so the originality of the design will affect it's score. There's no "line" per-se. Keep in mind that the rules do state that he design needs to be yours.

I know that sounds vague but there are so many influences in Tiki that it pretty much is case-by-case.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 10:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-13 02:04, Aaron's Akua wrote:
I think Holden should play too! But wouldn't it be great to hear some of the "dos & don'ts" of mug design from someone who actually produces mugs? (Meaning the physical limitations of mug molds & mug production vs. drawn up designs) So how 'bout it, Holden? Can you spell out some pointers for the rest of us wannabe mug designers before we get deep into it?

most great designs can be overcome by creative sculptors! have fun with the designs and I recommend not to limit yourself. Undercuts & negative draft are realities though - don't do designs where the molds can't be pulled off at a 90 degree angle off of the sides (for example, a nose where the tip of the nose has an area underneath it where it recesses upwards... think about it in 90 degree pull terms).
Holden

[ This Message was edited by: smogbreather 2005-11-14 22:40 ]

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 06:43 am   Permalink

I think one of the Genuine Counterfeit Reloy carvers should post one of their pieces, a`la AA:

You make the top half the part that holds the drink.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 07:21 am   Permalink

AA made one, but its not really one of his designs. But it would make a pretty good mug. Maybe the bottom too heavy.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation