FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The Perfect Blue Hawaiian?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Perfect Blue Hawaiian?
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-16 11:15 pm   Permalink

Aloha everyone, I know this has already been discussed but, I can't find the thread, so I will ask the question again. I am having a problem with my Blue Hawaiian's cream curdling. I am following The Grog Log's reciepe for using cream or 1/2 and 1/2, I have also seen recipe's that call for Creme de Coconut, which makes the perfect or better Blue Hawaiian? Is the curd supposed to be there? I want to drink it not chew it. Hmmm?

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2002-11-16 23:21 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Talkie-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 09:09 am   Permalink

Use cream of coconut heck I even put a little in my coffee but the coconut cream is not really Dairy so it should not Curdle

View Profile of Talkie-Tiki Send a personal message to Talkie-Tiki  Email Talkie-Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 10:27 am   Permalink

I found this recipe in "The Ultimate A to Z Bar Guide" for a Blue Hawaiian as follows:

1 oz. light rum
1 oz. blue curacao
1 oz. creme of coconut
2 oz. (1/4 cup) unsweetened pineapple juice
1 cup crushed ice
combine all ingedients with ice in a blender.
Cover and blend at medium speed 15 seconds.
Pour into chilled glass and garnish with pineapple slice and cherry...

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 11:39 am   Permalink

Following the Grogs recipe you are going to get curdled cream... it's the acidic "sweet & sour" lemon juice mixing with the cream. It also calls for vodka which I thought was strange. And where is the coconut? I personally wouldn't go with the Grog on this one.

I'm more along the line of the recipe Tiki Rider posted, except no blender. I prefer it shaken (and I mean shaken till your arms hurt) and strained.

[ This Message was edited by: tikimug on 2002-11-17 11:39 ]

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 11:55 am   Permalink

I think it tastes better with the rum, and also thought the recipe with vodka was maybe a mistake or misprint.

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 2:48 pm   Permalink

Yea, Vodka? I din't get the Vodka idea either. Rum, Creme de Coconut! That sounds yummy! Thanks

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 4:13 pm   Permalink

Vodka is the standard ingredient in Blue Hawaiians. Strange I know, but I asked around at several bars and I was told it's Vodka. So, a rum-based Blue Hawaiian does'nt seem to be a standard one.

Jab, what's your take on this?

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 4:20 pm   Permalink

Look closely: the Grog Log recipe is for a Blue HAWAII - a vodka based drink - not a Blue HAWAIIAN, which is the classic rum drink. They are two totally different (and different tasting) drinks, the Blue Hawaiian being the only one with coconut cream in it. Also, Blue Hawaiian's are blended, thereby avoiding the unsightly curdled appearance and making them a bright milk-shaky blue, while Blue Hawaii's are shaken/stirred, making them a cloudy bluish-green. I prefer the Blue Hawaiian, but Al (of Alnshelly) makes a perfect Blue Hawaii! Try 'em both!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 4:31 pm   Permalink

What a difference a few letters make!

Thanks for solving this mystery for me Doctor Z. That clears up a lot ....

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 4:36 pm   Permalink

Great! Not only am I a drunk, I'm illiterate too!

tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-17 8:51 pm   Permalink

Yeah thanks Doctor Z, I saw that and I thought maybe it was two different drinks.

but...

Hawaiian, Hawaii... Havaiian, Havaii let's call the whole thing off

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-11-18 12:35 pm   Permalink

Harry Yee, longtime bartender at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki, invented the Blue Hawaii. Although he said that it must have vodka in it, his original recipe contains BOTH vodka and rum!

I would agree that the Blue Hawaiian is the Blue Hawaii with rum and no vodka and was a later variation on the Blue Hawaii. But, I don't really know why there's cream in the Grog Log recipe as most recipes for it don't include cream.

Harry also invented the Tropical Itch, Hawaiian Eye, and many other drinks, and he was the first to put paper parasols, orchids, and back scratchers (in the tropical itch) in tropical drinks!

Here's more info:

http://www.kevdo.com/maitai/harryyee.html

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-18 12:44 pm   Permalink

I just love this place! You learn so much! I ended up leaving out the cream and it was prettier and tasty too.

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-18 2:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the article Jab. I had a Scratch Me Lani at the Hala Kahiki in Chicago. I had never heard of one, but the bartender highly recommended it. Man, it was so good, I even took a picture of it. Thanks to you and this site, I now know who concocted the recipe.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-19 12:18 am   Permalink

Yeah, that is a great article jab. I love the part about why he switched the garnish to orchids in his drinks, 'cause it made the ashtrays easier to clean. That's priceless I love it!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation