FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The Perfect Blue Hawaiian?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Perfect Blue Hawaiian?
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-19 12:46 am   Permalink

Hey, this is just like the Discovery Channel !!
I say just go with the “blue drink” at the KonaLanes, Harbor Blvd. OC..
Talk about curdling!!!!!(see events: OC Bowl)

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-11-19 12:07 pm   Permalink

Another good blue drink, courtesy of the Playboy drink guide, is the Blue Devil:

1.5 ounces Gin
0.5 ounce lemon juice
0.5 ounce Blue Curacao
Shake w/cracked ice and strain into cocktail glass. Simple but tasty.

Guy: "Do you like cocktails?"
Girl: "Sure!"
Guy: "Well, when I hear one I'll tell it to you."

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-06 6:48 pm   Permalink

Went back into the archives a bit to look for a Blue Hawaii topic. Tiki Central did not disappoint.

However, I wanted to post my simple recipe for a Blue Hawaii that I used to make all the time 5-6 years ago, but not so much anymore because I've grown accustomed to more tart drinks. This may not be for the tiki drinking connoisseur, but it it TERRIFIC for the rum guzzlin' "I like it sweet" hoards you sometimes have to deal with at a big party. Mix this up by the gallons and its a hit.

1 part Malibu
1 part Bols Blue Curacao
3 parts Dole Pineapple juice

Throw a handful or two of ice in a blender and fill with this mixture. Blend until smooth. If too sweet for your friends, add a little lime juice. Serve in a clear glass so people can get all excited about the color.

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-06 7:09 pm   Permalink

awwww, my favorite drink.
It took me five years to develop my recipe for a Blue Hawaiian.
Tiki Ti has the finest Blue Hawaiian i have ever had. I have been told mine is a close second. Like all drinks though, a person's taste defines what is best (assuming someone is not mixing a blue hawaiian with PBR, mint jelly and cold duck)Without giving away the whole recipe, I do use cream of coconut and vodka and lt rum. My Blue is similar to Tiki Ti's, just a hair on the sweater side from the use of cream of coconut. And if you watch Mike or Mike Jr. make one, their "float" on top makes the drink. I have no shame in saying that I copied their float, but i also float another little something on top too. All in all, the Blue Hawaiian should be pretty strong, but as smooth as a lagoon.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-06 8:40 pm   Permalink

Lady Velour (wife of Johnnie) was, until recently, a bartender. One time at a party at Johnnie's, she was behind the bar and 'invented' the most incredibly good tasting blue drink. I have no idea what was in it, but I'll never forget the name she gave it: "Hey - It's Blue!"
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-06 10:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-06 19:09, tikitanked wrote:
...assuming someone is not mixing a blue hawaiian with PBR, mint jelly and cold duck...

Quackermint Ribbon?

Iron Chef Ahu KuKu-san

Fraternal Order of Moai

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-08 11:04 pm   Permalink

DawnTiki wrote:
Quote:
I am having a problem with my Blue Hawaiian's cream curdling.

Nevermind...

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-08 23:32 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-09 5:16 pm   Permalink

Close but off the subject: Just last night we had dinner with friends at one of the many Mexican eateries in town. This particular establishment has a signature Tequilla based, red, drink. I think it's basically a Hurricane made with Tequilla in place of Rum. My friend ordered this but they were out of the stuff used to make it, so in it's place ordered a Blue Hawaiian. The waiter presented the drink and on turning to walk off mumbled something in Spanish. My friend got this "Look" on his face like one gets when another person crosses the line, "That M.F.'r just called me a bitch!" he told us. Considering we live in a town that considers most tropical drinks "girl" drinks, it's likely the case. The rest of us (including his wife) just laughed and continued to harp on him the rest of the night saying things like, "How's your Blue Hawaiian Bitch?"

BTW: Though listed on the menu as Blue Hawaiian I believe now it was a Blue Hawaii as my friend reported it tasting like Vodka and not Rum.

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 2:39 pm   Permalink

I just finished watching the latest TikiBarTV episode..."Blue Hawaiian"...which got me recollecting my younger days at many Waikiki bars and nightclubs, as well as many others throughout the islands.

Back in the 1970's at least, almost every bartender in Hawaii would cringe if anyone ordered a "Blue Hawaiian." Their standard humorous bartender response all over Hawaii was...

"The only Blue Hawaiian is a dead Hawaiian! It's called the Blue Hawaii!!!"

So, I saw the TikiBarTV episode using "Hawaiian" and came here to see what the conventional wisdom was these days. Which seems to be a little more gray than blue.

But my memory is very clear on this...at that time at least...there was no such thing as a "Blue Hawaiian" cocktail, except in mis-prints or uninformed bar patrons. Bartenders back then used to joke about it regularly and say things like, "If one more haole calls it a Blue 'Hawaiian' tonight...I'm gonna..."

Anyway...can't tell you how many times I heard bartenders correct the tourists on this, while I was lounging away an afternoon on some beachfront barstool. One of those bartenders very well might have been Harry Yee himself...as I was a regular at the Hilton Hawaiian Village back then. And I very much remember a friendly and funny bartender named "Harry" that was there all the time. If it was him (and I suspect it was)...I had no idea back then that I was being served by such a cocktail legend!

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation