FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music the Robert Drasnin Voodoo II info thread
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
the Robert Drasnin Voodoo II info thread
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-06 8:38 pm   Permalink

Hi everyone.

To say that Robert Drasinin's performance at Hukilau 2005 energized Mr. Drasnin into a renewed enthusiasm for his Exotica work is "a little" bit of an understatement.

The warm - no, ecstatic - reception the 'ohana showed him really moved him, and gave him the boost of creative energy that he needed in order to place the writing and recording of Voodoo II on his list of priorities for the near future.

He wanted me to make a post here to give you an update on the project.

At this time, he has five pieces of music written - those of you who were at Hukilau heard them. Due to various commitments in his life, and the nature of scoring these pieces, he estimates that it will be late 2006 before he finishes writing the record.

He'd like to record it in early 2007, and have it out in time to debut the CD and the rest of the new material at Tikikiliki's 2007 Mai Kai/Ft. Lauderdale event (be it called Hukilau or otherwise).

The one problem that he faces is that fact that after hiring pro musicians, paying for their rehersal time, and paying for the type of pro recording studio that he'll need (no home-baked project here!), it will cost between $10,000 and $15,000 to record it.

He will have to pay for this out of his own pocket, and the reality of the current music business indicates that he will more than likely not make his investment back.

And yet, he is stoked up enough about this project and the renewal of interest in Exotica, that he wants to record it anyway!

Mr. Drasnin, Hanford, and I have been talking about this situation, and we've come up with a project that will allow all of Tiki Central to get involved in the recording of Voodoo II - and for some of you, to even be present at the recording sessions.

There's some legal stuff we have to sort out before we make any announcements, but some time shortly after New Year's, we'll be ready to spill the beans.

We think you'll all be pretty excited about what we've got going.

(hint: public television, NPR, and Jerry Lewis).

Watch this thread for news about the TC project, the recording, and all other Voodoo II news.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 05:37 am   Permalink

This is GREAT news James! Count me in to help out in any way shape or form. We must continue the ball rolling to make Voodoo 2 a reality for Bob. Thanks for spearheading this fund raising project. It will be well worth it!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 06:45 am   Permalink

Great news! Count me in too! Any idea if Dionysus Records be involved in the release of Voodoo II?

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 09:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-07 06:45, Kenike wrote:
Any idea if Dionysus Records be involved in the release of Voodoo II?

Remains to be seen, but I do know that Mr. Drasnin has been pleased with his relationship with Dionysis so far, and would definitley consider working with them again. I am sure he will contact them next year when there is a release timetable in place.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 10:51 am   Permalink

Yo Tidal Wave-Baum,

WAITIKI sends our best to the Voodoo II project - let us know if you need help from us, we'd love to be involved.

-Randy a.k.a. WAITIKI's Professah Humming Flowah

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 1:04 pm   Permalink

I think I speak for everyone, when I say: WOO HOO!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 1:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-07 13:04, pappythesailor wrote:
I think I speak for everyone, when I say: WOO HOO!

... or, VOO DOO!!! Hahahahha.......

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
otikiniko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-08 11:02 pm   Permalink

Needless to say, if I can lend a hand, ear, camera, or time... I'm more than willing. You know where to find me when you need me.

View Profile of otikiniko Send a personal message to otikiniko  Email otikiniko Goto the website of otikiniko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-08 11:41 pm   Permalink

Great, great news, can't wait for it

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Lapu Lapu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-09 03:15 am   Permalink

Ah, a Voodootooathon! Excellent. I can think of a great premium... that is, if the editing and legal hurdles can be overcome. (see thread: Robert Drasnin performance at Hukilau on DVD?)

View Profile of Chief Lapu Lapu Send a personal message to Chief Lapu Lapu  Goto the website of Chief Lapu Lapu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 11:45 am   Permalink

*bumpage*

I don't suppose I can look forward to VooDoo II anytime soon, can I?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-19 7:44 pm   Permalink

Yes - any latest news?
I remember almost passing up my $1 copy of Voodoo at a thrift because the big "Tops" logo turned me off the otherwise cool cover-art (this was years before I got into the actual genre of music). Glad I didn't - it eventually helped usher me into the world of Martin Denny, Baxter, Esquivel, etc.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JetSetiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-28 01:26 am   Permalink

It looks as though it's been a while since any posts on Bob Drasnin's Voodoo II project have appeared. I can tell you that he expects the CD to be released in May. I got to hear his studio master the other night when my partner/bassist Guy Wonder and I came by his place to meet him for the first time. We've been booking a jazz/lounge/exotica scene over at The Derby on Monday nights that we call The Purple Pit, featuring our band, NUTTY, and other bands in the same vein, and we approached Bob to do an opening show for us with songs from his Voodoo I album. This particular show is on this coming Monday, April 2nd, at 8pm, with Nutty to follow at 9:30pm. Basically, members of Nutty will back him up with revamped charts that we pared down for a sextet. It's gonna be a great night, so anybody on this forum that digs exotica and lounge should try to make it. The Derby is in the Los Feliz area of L.A., a landmark known for its swing nights and an appearance in the film "Swingers", and I'm tellin' ya it's the place to be on April 2nd. You can find out more about Nutty and The Purple Pit by going to our website, www.nuttyjazz.com and our myspace pages, www.myspace.com/thenuttylounge and www.myspace.com/thepurplepit. Hope to see you there!

Sonny Moon of NUTTY

View Profile of JetSetiki Send a personal message to JetSetiki  Email JetSetiki Goto the website of JetSetiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-28 1:04 pm   Permalink

Nutty... you cats, sound like Richard Cheese !!!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JetSetiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-28 10:40 pm   Permalink

Actually, we sound better than Richard Cheese. He's great, but what Nutty does is focus more on the musicality, so the material sticks with you. True, we're kooky, but there's more going on. Listen for the jazz signatures and t.v. theme references. Imagine hearing "Take Five" become "Nights In White Satin" or "Purple Haze" appear out of the "Pink Panther" theme. It's wild stuff.

View Profile of JetSetiki Send a personal message to JetSetiki  Email JetSetiki Goto the website of JetSetiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation