FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » the Robert Drasnin Voodoo II info thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
the Robert Drasnin Voodoo II info thread
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 5:09 pm   Permalink

I got my signed copy in the mail today, and have listened to half of it already. FANTASTIC!! Well worth the wait and money, since it was directly to Mr. Drasnin and in the form of a donation for his wonderful project. The signed CD was his return thanks for the donation, not a purchase.

Thanks for the great new CD, Robert!!!

Aloha.
Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 09:07 am   Permalink

Wow! An instant favorite. Love how it is so recognizably "of a pair" with Voodoo ("I") despite the passage of time between the two. Really brings the tiki scene to life for me -- maybe only seeing the live performance at Hukilau (which I didn't ) could have done so more.

I love this CD; thanks Robert! And I enthusiastically recommend it to anyone sitting on the fence.

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-06-01 4:35 pm   Permalink

The Great Summer of Exotica has begun! Received my autographed copy in the mail today up the Left Coast in Oregon.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 6:44 pm   Permalink

Well this is a real gift to start the summer lounge season. This is wonderful stuff and
the distinguished percussionists are a real treat. A big big THANK YOU to all the peeps who
made this thing happen.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-10 12:21 pm   Permalink

I got my CD of VooDoo II yesterday.
Downloaded it to my I POD and then strolled to the beach to watch the sunset and listen to Robert's beautiful music. I gotta tell ya, it was one of the best "tiki" moments ever!
Thanks Robert!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-15 4:44 pm   Permalink

Wow! ...when's Voodoo 3?

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-15 8:23 pm   Permalink

Robert and his orchestra just finished playing the entire album at The Hukilau about an hour ago. Simply incredible!

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-15 9:36 pm   Permalink

How exciting that must have been!!!

I got my signed copy and have had it on continuous play in my car....just wonderfeul. Classic exotica....I love it. I am ready for VoodooIII.

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2007-06-15 21:36 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
John in Montreal
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-16 12:15 pm   Permalink

For those who haven't heard it yet, I'm playing a sampling of a few songs from Voodoo II on my show on LuxuriaMusic this Tuesday (June 19)...

More info and a complete playlist on the TUNES! page at
http://www.maitaionline.com

-------

Thrifting for Tunes with John T.
A short, weekly program of thematically compiled musical content, recorded behind the bar at the exotic Mauna Loa Lounge.

Listen: Tuesdays at 10am pacific/1pm eastern on http://www.LuxuriaMusic.com

View Profile of John in Montreal Send a personal message to John in Montreal  Email John in Montreal Goto the website of John in Montreal     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-17 8:06 pm   Permalink

The Hukilau is now concluded, the batteries are recharged for another year or so. It was a fantastic experience to share the stage with Mr. Drasnin for a second time, and although this is a studio album through and through, I have concluded that the music here is best experienced live. The live performance gives it a life and a vibe that playing a CD does not provide. It is difficult to provide good sound for such a group of musicians, but the company this year was up to the task, and the sound out front was apparently great.

I hope this can happen from time to time!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-18 8:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-15 16:44, spy-tiki wrote:
Wow! ...when's Voodoo 3?

Ask Formikahini!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Whollycat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-19 08:00 am   Permalink

Aloha Tim,

The comment above about the sound company doing a good job with the orchestra was right on. We happen to know Alex (from Coda Sound) and I will pass on the compliment to him. You Cats sounded great ...PERIOD)

Joe/Haole Kats

View Profile of Whollycat Send a personal message to Whollycat  Email Whollycat Goto the website of Whollycat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-20 11:41 pm   Permalink

Having listened to this a hundred times now...I am especially in love with tract one and eight. Tract 8 is my fave though...and the vibes part is kewl....but basically the beat is so driving and upbeat....I can hear it in my head even as I type.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 04:42 am   Permalink

Got " Exotic Excursion " and " Voodoo 2 " ( Thanks Jeff ! ) discs in the post today . Deeply digging both , natch . For anybody who hasn't got Voodoo 2 yet , it has , FWIW , my highest recommendation !

Was very pleased to see that drummer Roy Harte played on Voodoo ( EE ) . Roy Harte and Remo ( yes , Remo drum heads ) Belli started Drum City in LA back in the 50's . I , being into vintage drums , knew of Roy , but had never heard him play before . Drum City was one of the hippest drum shops on the planet for many years . Roy and Remo developed the synthetic drum head over 50 years ago ! Cool that Roy played with RD . : )

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 06:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

... I , being into vintage drums , knew of Roy , but had never heard him play before...

You've probably heard him on dozens of recordings and didn't realize it was him. For example, he plays on some of the earlier Martin Denny albums.

One album you HAVE to find by Roy Harte and Milt Holland is "Percussion Unabridged." It came out on both the World Pacific and Kimberly labels with different cover art. The Montgomery Brothers are all on the album (although Wes is definitely in a support role). It sounds like if Martin Denny made a record on which they all stretched out and included more space for improvising in the arrangements. It's a really top notch and overlooked exotica album.

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation