FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music the Robert Drasnin Voodoo II info thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
the Robert Drasnin Voodoo II info thread
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 3:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-20 06:07, OnyaBirri wrote:
Quote:

... I , being into vintage drums , knew of Roy , but had never heard him play before...

You've probably heard him on dozens of recordings and didn't realize it was him. For example, he plays on some of the earlier Martin Denny albums.

One album you HAVE to find by Roy Harte and Milt Holland is "Percussion Unabridged." It came out on both the World Pacific and Kimberly labels with different cover art. The Montgomery Brothers are all on the album (although Wes is definitely in a support role). It sounds like if Martin Denny made a record on which they all stretched out and included more space for improvising in the arrangements. It's a really top notch and overlooked exotica album.

Will do . Came across Perfect Percussion which also features the Montgomery Brothers .

Yea ...studio musicians in the old days almost never got album credits . Look at Hal Blaine !

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Will do . Came across Perfect Percussion which also features the Montgomery Brothers .

This is the SAME record! At least two titles and at least three different covers...

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-25 9:34 pm   Permalink

New Denon CD player ( still made in Japan and not China ) arrived this morning , a replacement for my trusty 12 year old Onkyo which was showing its age and not really worth putting $ into .

Christened the Denon with Voodoo 2 !

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-13 4:24 pm   Permalink

Both Voodoo and Voodoo II are available on iTunes! I almost peed my pants when I saw! Looks like Voodoo is out of print, and a little hard to come by-- at least on Amazon.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-14 08:53 am   Permalink

I think the run on Voodoo and VoodooII is 10,000---and that's worldwide.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-14 09:39 am   Permalink

Voodoo II is still currently available on Amazon. The first Voodoo is currently unavailable but Bob is working with Dionysus on getting them restocked. I have signed copies available if anyone is interested.

In other news, Bob has 3 "new" compositions underway for Voodoo III.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-16 8:35 pm   Permalink

That is good news Jeff...will be looking forward to that.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 03:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-14 09:39, Jeff Central wrote:
Voodoo II is still currently available on Amazon. The first Voodoo is currently unavailable but Bob is working with Dionysus on getting them restocked. I have signed copies available if anyone is interested.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

How have sales been on Voodoo 2 ? I read that Mr. Drasnin invested some of his own money ; I hope he was at least able to break even after sales and TC donations . I wish I'd become a member earlier as I certainly would have contributed . Buying the signed Voodoo 2 and Exotic Excursion discs from you was my very humble contribution . Deeply dig both discs !

[ This Message was edited by: sushiman 2007-09-17 03:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sushiman 2007-09-17 03:13 ]

sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 6:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-20 15:22, sushiman wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

... I , being into vintage drums , knew of Roy , but had never heard him play before...

You've probably heard him on dozens of recordings and didn't realize it was him. For example, he plays on some of the earlier Martin Denny albums.

One album you HAVE to find by Roy Harte and Milt Holland is "Percussion Unabridged." It came out on both the World Pacific and Kimberly labels with different cover art. The Montgomery Brothers are all on the album (although Wes is definitely in a support role). It sounds like if Martin Denny made a record on which they all stretched out and included more space for improvising in the arrangements. It's a really top notch and overlooked exotica album.

Yea ...studio musicians in the old days almost never got album credits . Look at Hal Blaine !

Got a near mint stereo PERFECT PERCUSSION for $ 7 via Ebay . Listening to it now . Pretty cool !

sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 6:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-20 15:22, sushiman wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Got a near mint stereo PERFECT PERCUSSION for $ 7 via Ebay . Listening to it now . Pretty cool !

sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 6:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-20 16:04, OnyaBirri wrote:
Quote:

This is the SAME record! At least two titles and at least three different covers...

Got a near mint PERFECT PERCUSSION for $ 7 via Ebay . Listening to it now . Pretty cool ! Martin Denny after a few tokes ?

[ This Message was edited by: sushiman 2007-09-28 19:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sushiman 2007-09-28 19:47 ]

sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-09 12:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Jeff ,

Be sure to let us know if we can be of $ help this next time around . I found out late with Voodoo 2 but did buy the autographed Exotic Excursion and Voodoo 2 from you so in my humble way helped the cause . ; )

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-09 03:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-09 00:20, sushiman wrote:
Quote:

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Jeff ,

Be sure to let us know if we can be of $ help this next time around . I found out late with Voodoo 2 but did buy the autographed Exotic Excursion and Voodoo 2 from you so in my humble way helped the cause . ; )

I will definitely let you know. Right now it is way to early in the game but Bob is a very devoted cat that seems to be in a creative upswing at the moment. Lucky for us eh?

In the meantime, keep an eye out for the new Skip Heller release called "El Tiradito." It will be an ALL Exotica CD on the ropeadope label. It features Robert Drasnin on every track playing a wide assortment of woodwinds including clarinet, flute and alto saxophone. It even has DJ Bonebrake on vibes and marimba. This will be a "must have" item and should be available soon!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-07 10:45 am   Permalink

Just bumping this three-year old thread to ask if there's any news regarding Robert Drasnin and the VOODOO III project? Just curious.

Thanks, G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-07 11:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-07 10:45, TikiG wrote:
Just bumping this three-year old thread to ask if there's any news regarding Robert Drasnin and the VOODOO III project? Just curious.

Thanks, G

Aloha TikiG.

Bob is currently working on the arrangements. The compositions are done and so is the instrumentation.

He has help this time in the recording department and volunteer musicians as well. Hopefully it will be recorded by the end of the year.

Thanks for the interest!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation