FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Humuhumu Room Improvements
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Humuhumu Room Improvements
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-18 12:47 pm   Permalink

Humu, did you build your bar or buy it already built? Very nice!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Steve Kapu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-11-18 1:39 pm   Permalink

Man that's a great bar! I thought my setup was tiny at 10X10, there needs to be a new show on one of them home channels: "This tiny tiki bar" or something.

As for that surfer fella, I think it is an Elvis Blue Hawaii action figure available from mcphee.com in a two pack with the Elvis Karate action figure.

Steve

Quote:

On 2002-11-18 12:06, Kawentzmann wrote:
Great!
This room has got a real tropical flair about it!
Id like to know, how was the uke paintjob (?) done, and do you have a matching shirt?

Also, I like the little surfer dude. What I like most about it, hes not the cartoonish shortboarder type that you come by in modern renditions. Is he old?

The black velvet is fantastic! The frame is a little baroque, have you considered a bamboo frame? Thats what I want for my tropical themed woodprints.

KK

[ This Message was edited by: Kawentzmann on 2002-11-18 12:08 ]

View Profile of Steve Kapu Send a personal message to Steve Kapu  Email Steve Kapu Goto the website of Steve Kapu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-18 1:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much for all your kind words. This room means so much to me, especially since there's not much (any?) of a tiki scene here in Seattle. It's all I've got. I can't wait until some of you can come over and see it in person.

Kawentzmann: That uke came painted like that. It was really, really cheap, and is pretty much just decorative - the strings won't stay taut. I need to invest in a real one someday. I love that black velvet, it was a great eBay find. It came with that frame. I've never considered changing the frame out, I'll think about it. I suspect it may not come apart nicely, though. As Steve mentioned, that little surfer guy is indeed a Blue Hawaii Elvis action figure. He's supposed to be holding a tiny uke, but he's always dropping it.

DawnTiki - I built that bar with my Dad. Since the space is so tiny, and since it has a sink, we needed to build something custom. I installed the tile and finished the wood drink cap, my Dad built the structure. It's got a drawer for utensils, a small fridge, two shelves, and storage space.

The room is indeed ridiculously small. It's very cramped, and I've had to be pretty careful with how I use the space. I'm a very small girl -- I have to spend my time in a world built for people bigger than me, so I like that this space is my size. Anyone taller than ~5'3" gets whacked in the face with palm fronds, but it's comfortable once you're seated.

Believe it or not, at my birthday party a few months ago, we had at least 10 people in the room, not counting me behind the bar.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-18 2:03 pm   Permalink

Wow, what a fantastic room! If I had that set-up in my house I'd never leave! I really like the fake flame lanterns near the black velvet picture, they add a mysterious vibe.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-18 9:00 pm   Permalink

Hokey? Nah. Those fake flames are the epitome of tiki. I've got a couple on dimmers that I love. Plus I saw a faucet. As small as your room is it must be nice to have the luxury of a wet bar. That is a very nice room Humuhumu.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikirob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-11-18 9:24 pm   Permalink

The place is Fantastic! By the way where did you find the flaming lanterns?

View Profile of Tikirob Send a personal message to Tikirob  Email Tikirob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-18 9:26 pm   Permalink

The fake fire pots are cool...I found some standing fake flame torches this Halloween to use as tiki torches inside the house.(www.hauntedfog.com and www.fakefire.com)

[ This Message was edited by: tiki rider five-O on 2002-11-19 00:09 ]

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-18 9:43 pm   Permalink

Wow! very nice. I didnt think to use those flames bowls for a tiki room, but they really work. You have a wonderful eye for decor, but one thing whats up with the Condom on the carving?

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-20 12:38 am   Permalink

Tikirob, I got my flame bowls at Display & Costume Supply for ~$15. I originally saw them in the Oriental Supply company for I think about $35, and almost bought them; glad I didn't. After I picked up mine, I saw them at Target for ~$10. So, they're around, it may be harder to find them locally now that we're past Halloween.

hula hula, originally I took the cover off, but it was like Full Penis Assault! right when you walk in the room. I decided it would be more fun if visitors could lift up his loincloth and feel a little naughty about it.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-20 08:12 am   Permalink

Is the wall paint color pale blue, or is that just the light? It's a nice change from the grass matting (which I also love). I bet that's what partially gives it the "dressier" feel. That may also be what keeps it from feeling so tiny and enclosed - a bit of breath and space. Nice choice! I hope to see it someday (and have something like it, too!) The blue goes nicely with the Sailor Jerry hula girl beaded curtain, too.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-01-27 01:03 am   Permalink

as a recent guest of the glorious Humahuma Room~ i declare the pictures do NOT do this tiki bar justice! nor can photograps capture the ambiance or hospitality of the room. the whole room ooozes the spirit of tiki!

its easy to forget the petiteness of the room, because your eyes are always catching something new.. there are details within the details!

what is most incredible, is that Humahuma Michelle transported 3 of those treetrunks in her miata (they were easily over 12 feet, in my estimation)... everything in the room was made with love...you can feel it!

outstanding!!

elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-27 02:39 am   Permalink

Bravo!!!
God that's a great room! I have forced my poor wife, the lovely Princess Kakuna, to view your website repeatedly, Humahuma, as she seems to actually enjoy it and it serves as a tremendous inspiration to her.
The colors... The fabrics... The details... All are Marvelous!
Yours is the room that drives me to work every morning. If I could build myself something like it without having a job I'd just stay at home. Well... I'd just stay at home sippin' on Mai Tais and Suffering Bastards, actually...

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-27 2:17 pm   Permalink

Highest of the high class.

Truly a work of art.

Tiki-kudos to you!

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-31 11:59 am   Permalink

Gosh, you guys are too, too kind! It was great fun having dogbytes over to the Humuhumu Room -- my first Tiki Centralite guest! I had a great time with her. I had a chance to see her home -- she's got the perfect room for a tiki bar, and I'm terribly excited to see what she does with it! She's got great taste, and with that space, something wonderful is going to happen.

Traitor Vic & Geeky Tiki, you've made me feel so good. Thank you!

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-31 12:58 pm   Permalink

My hat goes off to you, kind lady..

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation