Tiki Central Forums Tiki Central Ohana Paris Riots
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Paris Riots
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 12:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-31 11:46, Swanky wrote:
They have Fox News on here at work, and according to them, the reason the riot police are standing nearby and not attacking and shutting this down is because the French government is confused and poorly led. Yeah, that's it. A real government would be pounding the citizens into pulp.

I don't want to get into issues of politics which I know is taboo on TC per the posting rules (The first rule of tiki central is you don't talk about tiki central!, so I won't discuss my personal feelings about this issue...

But what I heard is that the French government is trying to change the current state of the employment law to remove protections for workers who are 26 and under if they have not been employed by a company for more than two years. From what I understand, a French company cannot just fire someone for no reason (unlike what most U.S. companies can do). The reason given by the government for doing this is to encourage employers to hire young people because they believe that many employers do not want to take the risk of hiring a young person if they would be stuck with that person as an employee and it would be hard to fire them. Apprently the unemployment rate for French persons of that age is pretty high compared to other countries, including the U.S. and Europe. Opponents believe that if this law was passed, an employer would then be able to just hire a person, then wait almost two years, and then fire that person without having a reason, and without giving that person benefits. Other people have objected saying that if this law is changed, it should be changed for everyone, not just for people under 26.

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 6:34 pm   Permalink

Here's a nice little synopsis (IMHO) of the forces at play as I understand them:

http://econblog.aplia.com/2006/01/youth-unemployment-in-france.html

I'm not familar with this blog, I just googled it. The info fits with what I've been reading in online newspaper articles (didn't save any links). It notes that "youth" unemployment in France is currently at about 23%(!!!) and (this is important) even higher among immigrant populations. I don't know their definition of "youth" but I'm guessing "under 30" or "under 25."

The intent of the law is, theoretically at least, to make employers less apprehensive in hiring "youths." I think (purely speculation on my part) that a large part of the intent behind this change in law is to make employers less reluctant to hire the young people of the immigrant communities from Algeria and Morocco etc and thus promote better assimilation of these young people into French society.

The rioting gangs that burned cars and made CNN last fall were primarily composed of youths from these immigrant suburbs. I think the term "disenfranchised" would fit them to a "T". Apparently, many of these same "gangs" are actually attacking and molesting the student demonstrators:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=684402

I personally doubt that the attacks by gangs on student demonstrators is due to idealogical differences re: the proposed changes in law; which would actually make some level of sense. Its more likely just an instance of exploiting the chaos to engage in hooliganism and criminal behavior.

My 2 non-political cents.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 10:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-31 11:46, Swanky wrote:
They have Fox News on here at work, and according to them, the reason the riot police are standing nearby and not attacking and shutting this down is because the French government is confused and poorly led. Yeah, that's it. A real government would be pounding the citizens into pulp.

Consider the source...

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-01 07:27 am   Permalink

OK. There's nothing dangerous or anything here in Paris. There is some riots, but just like every month or so, we're used to it. The thing is, yes, a big majority of french think this new law is really bad for the youth, so there're unhappy toward the first minister (lots of his government think the same as the unhappy people). So, as there is big riots, there is trouble makers...who just wants to throw some rocks to the police...but that's a really small amount of people. About the metro or the rest of my life in Paris, nothing as changed, they were just a day of 1/2 the transportation working but that's over now.
Once again, don't beleive everything they can tell you.
French are used to those situations, we don't usually like to get screwed by our government.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation