Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Alternate for Glass Float Lamp
Alternate for Glass Float Lamp
kingtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-11 2:32 pm   Permalink

Sorry if this has been discussed already or if I'm putting this in the wrong spot - I'm relatively new to TC.

I, like most, want to create a glass float lamp but worry about breaking my beloved floats in the cutting. I found an alternative at a place called Culpepper & Co.
http://www.piecesofship.com called an Onion Jug - basically round with a spout (hole) in the top already. Just wondering if any of you have already looked at these or used them in the past? Wondering if they are worth trying as a lamp?

Any help appreciated

[ This Message was edited by: kingtiki 2005-11-11 15:07 ]

View Profile of kingtiki Send a personal message to kingtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-11 3:32 pm   Permalink

wow, that seems like a *great* alternative. if you tackle it, keep us posted and let us know how it's done!

[url=http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/collection.cgi?mode=gallery&user_id=124][/ur

View Profile of heelgrinder Send a personal message to heelgrinder  Email heelgrinder Goto the website of heelgrinder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-12 06:27 am   Permalink

Cool lamps idea!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
turbosickboy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-12 08:33 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC. cool idea, i think these floats can be easily transformed into lamps

View Profile of turbosickboy Send a personal message to turbosickboy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 09:39 am   Permalink

oh yeah, I got one of those jugs from culpeppers a couple years ago. dropped a light in the top, and hung it in the lounge. looks great. that culpeppers is awsome.

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 09:47 am   Permalink

I found one similar to that but a little smaller I think. I cut the spout off and tied a net for it.

Mine is blue and clear mainly, so I found that when the light was inserted the clear parts were too noticeable. Yours looks much more solid in colour. Nice net work!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 10:53 am   Permalink

wow, total conicidence, i saw those for the first time in my life last weekend at an antique shop in bethany beach, maryland. i was thinking the exact same thing. the prices were about $100, though, i didn't want to commit yet.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 12:52 pm   Permalink

Johnny Dollar - if you still want to get one be sure to check out the Culpepper site - I ordered the 10" for $40 and he has some that are 13" for $55.

Mine are in the mail as we speak so I'll post some pictures of the finished lamps and overall thoughts if you wanna wait a bit - He still has several in stock.

View Profile of kingtiki Send a personal message to kingtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 12:55 pm   Permalink

cool - mahalo!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 10:21 pm   Permalink

i used a red one to make the lamp over the bar. i then covered a chinese hat with tapa to create the shade that covers the neck.

here is another look.

the finished product fools everyone. they think it is a real float!

[ This Message was edited by: the drunken hat 2005-11-17 22:22 ]

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-18 10:03 am   Permalink

DH - that looks great. I was trying to figure out how I would cover the spout. I might have to borrow you idea - with full credit of course. - thanks

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-18 10:06 am   Permalink

on the culpeper's site it says they were used for holding water or rum. a crafty person could make a pretty sweet rum dispenser out of one

danatwo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-28 04:44 am   Permalink

Hi,
Check out these glass float jug lights. They are 17" tall!!! Wow!! There are 2 listings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7368313378&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

View Profile of danatwo Send a personal message to danatwo  Email danatwo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation