FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving I think it has reached a point where it bears discussion...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
I think it has reached a point where it bears discussion...
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 9:49 pm   Permalink

Hi Brad,
Hope you're doin' well.
Holden

[ This Message was edited by: smogbreather 2005-12-21 00:37 ]

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitom76

Posted: 2008-06-26 12:11 pm   Permalink

Bump

View Profile of tikitom76 Send a personal message to tikitom76      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Duke Of Dystopia

Posted: 2008-06-26 12:41 pm   Permalink

I am new to this forum and to tiki.

This place sounds like bunch of Goths fighting over what is Goth and how do we protect our subculture from the evil influences of change.

View Profile of Duke Of Dystopia Send a personal message to Duke Of Dystopia  Email Duke Of Dystopia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 1:02 pm   Permalink

Oh sure, in any scene/genre/subculture/clique you'll have a large amount of that, and you'll also have new members who get all uppity about the old-timers and the set ways. It's the natural ebb and flow, like the seasons, like the ocean.

This place is no different. With 8K+ members, you are going to run the gambit, huh?

Thing is, if you feel it in your heart, you'll understand how to find your way. The other thing is, the longer you stick around, the better you are at seeing nuances. You just have to put in your time. And you can only put in your time if you are compelled internally.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 1:15 pm   Permalink

do goths collect goth mugs and drink depressing cocktails?

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 1:37 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2005-11-21 10:11, laney wrote:
God forbid a professional Interior Designer come into my living room.....first to go would be my beachcomber lamps, Witco bars, and tacky whisky barrel couch. But I love it...
[quote]

The above is a very old post, but I wanted to bring it back up and say don't sell us design professionals short. I am a registered and practicing architect and interior designer and the last thing I would do is turn up my nose at authentic tiki decor. Nor would my peers (at least, the ones who are worth a darn). I think you'll find that design professionals have a particular sensitivity towards vintage furniture and decor that you won't find in the general public. Whereas your neighbor might turn up his nose and wonder if you're living with Salvation Army cast-offs, if you invite a designer over they would likely react quite favorably to these furnishings

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 1:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-26 13:15, Johnny Dollar wrote:

The collect Depression Era glass for serving hemlock. And cutting themselves.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 1:51 pm   Permalink

Hey man, I'm guilty of creating a horrible 1st tiki. Fortunately, I was using it strictly as a learning tool. My first initial drawing had crazy big, "chicklet teeth". That tiki is now hiding in the receses of my patio for now. I'm proud that I learned some basic techniques, but not really proud of the result. My 2nd tiki is pretty much a copy of a Westwood Ashtray. Again, a learning experience to simply learn certain techniques and cuts.

I'm working on some carving posts for my tiki bar right now. Some of the carvings are modifications of some Witco patterns, as well as some of my own inspiration.

I purchased a variety of reference material. It's very helpful to refer to Art/History books, history books, and other historical source material. It really gives you an education and well-rounded look at the history of the tiki and art through the years.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 1:55 pm   Permalink

Ahh... whats old is new again. It's been awhile since we discussed "traditional" vs. "Modern" tiki.........er, wait. hmmmm.
The search for the "pure bred" tikiphyle continues as the cloning station awaits.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 2:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-26 13:38, LOL Tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-06-26 13:15, Johnny Dollar wrote:

The collect Depression Era glass for serving hemlock.

...and absynthe. Don't forget the absynthe....

(note: I can say this, as I have a small amount of Goth-clout)

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 2:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-26 14:08, Haole'akamai wrote:
...and absynthe. Don't forget the absynthe....

(note: I can say this, as I have a small amount of Goth-clout)

With or without the sugar cube? Is absynthe legal these days? The closest I ever had to the real thing was Pernod.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 2:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-26 14:21, LOL Tiki wrote:
Is absynthe legal these days? The closest I ever had to the real thing was Pernod.

Here ya go!

JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 2:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-26 14:08, Haole'akamai wrote:

OMG! Tofu Joe looks like Gomez Addams!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 3:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-26 14:33, Haole'akamai wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-06-26 14:21, LOL Tiki wrote:
Is absynthe legal these days? The closest I ever had to the real thing was Pernod.

Here ya go!

Wow - who knew!? (Well, given the thread is 12 pages long, someone knew. )

Ovarian Cancer Research

LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 3:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-26 14:43, JenTiki wrote:
OMG! Tofu Joe looks like Gomez Addams!

Does that mean Haole' is the hot one? All this time I thought I was talking to a dude.

Ovarian Cancer Research

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation