FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Favorite James Bond Song?
Favorite James Bond Song?
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-13 4:57 pm   Permalink

Ive just dusted off my James Bond soundtracks and fun Bond knock off records and thought Id pose this question to the group- So what Bond song sends you into a frenzy? I have a preference to the old classics like Thunderball and Nancy Sinatra over Duran Duran. And have to put the theme from Goldfinger on top of my list.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chacha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-13 5:02 pm   Permalink

Without a doubt (from my favorite Bond movie, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service") "We Have All the Time in the World" by Louis Armstrong. I even used it at my wedding for our first dance.

View Profile of Chacha Send a personal message to Chacha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 7:07 pm   Permalink

I love Tom Jones' over the top Thunderball and Carly Simon's smooth & seductive Nobody Does It Better (from The Spy Who Loved Me) but Goldfinger is still the top dog of the James Bond theme song pack.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-11-15 02:13 am   Permalink

My favorite is probably "Goldfinger", followed by "You only live twice".

However, a close third is the excellent and overlooked "The World Is Not Enough" by Garbage. Lame movie, great song.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-11-15 05:15 am   Permalink

My favorite is probably the original James Bond Theme - I like how that simple bass riff and the beginning classic guitar licks are repeated throughout the films. It is probably one of the few sequences of music that I could probably listen to in a repeating endless loop without going crazy. For some reason, it reminds me a bit of Ravel's Bolero.

As to guest artists doing Bond theme songs, my favorite by far, and the only one that I will likely crank to 11 in my car, is Paul McCartney's version of 'Live and Let Die.'

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 11:34 am   Permalink

Indeed, the James Bond theme will never be topped. There's always been controversy as to whether Monty Norman or John Barry actually wrote it, but Monty finally got legal credit a few years ago. It was based on a tune he did for a musical some time ago that never made it. This is his website:

http://www.montynorman.com/home/default.asp

and the whole story's there if you're interested.

OHMSS is probably my personal favorite, but it's hard to top the Goldfinger/T-ball/YOLT/OHMSS/Diamonds period.

As far as the later films, The World Is Not Enough is really good as is "Surrender" by K.D. Lang from Tomorrow never Dies. It was going to be the title theme, but someone thought Sheryl Crow was more marketable and had her write that crap they use at the beginning of the film. Surrender is used over the end criedits.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 3:55 pm   Permalink

Hard to choose! I like Lulu's 'The Man With the Golden Gun' but the James Bond Theme song is my ultimate favorite.

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 4:51 pm   Permalink

The "Theme" has to be my favorite, but the runners up for me would be "Live & Let Die". Then, "Nobody Does It Better".

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-11-16 02:14 am   Permalink

I choose "You Only Live Twice". Several "elevator-music" versions of that song were recorded in the 1960s and played on the radio all the time. It became part of the soundtrack of my childhood.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 05:01 am   Permalink

correctt. I love elevtor covers of James Bond songs. Once I got one (4 phase records), and inside was a cool picture of Sean Connery dedicated.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 09:23 am   Permalink

The Phase 4 slbums are by Roland Shaw and his Orchestra. They're probably the best covers of the Bond tunes out there.

So anyway, pardon my nerd-ness, but go here...

Spy Bop Royale

for about all the info you can stand about 60's spy music. Enjoy!

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-19 2:09 pm   Permalink

C'mon people, clearly it's "Live and Let Die"! I mean, it doesn't get any better'n that. Honorable mention goes to Magazine's version of "Goldfinger", "View to a Kill" by Duran Duran, and although it's not really a Bond song...the intro part to the Beatles "Help" excites me.

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation