FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What's (in yer opinion) the superlative Scotch?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
What's (in yer opinion) the superlative Scotch?
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-13 5:38 pm   Permalink

Any Why?

For example...I think Ardbeg 10 is about the best thing to drink there is, but it's pricey. An argument can be made that "Finlaggan" is tops (it's a brand name from Trader Joe's) which has a similar peatyness, but is about 1/4 the cost.

McCallan and Dalwhinnie seem to be the ones I offer to people most that they are gushy about.

Atomictonytiki sort of talked me into bringing Scapa to a Scotchtasting, and it was the item which was most clammored for of any malts there.

What is your opinion of this?

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DrMiguelito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-14 12:04 pm   Permalink

I don't know many scotches, but for Christmas last year my dad got a bottle of Highland Park single malt that was some of the best booze that has ever passed my lips. I think it's quite expensive, though.

View Profile of DrMiguelito Send a personal message to DrMiguelito  Email DrMiguelito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-11-14 12:21 pm   Permalink

I'm not a big fan of single malt Scotch. I prefer the more balanced flavor of blended scotch. Johnnie Walker Black label is my daily driver for scotch on the rocks or scotch and soda, but a Dewar's or Cutty Sark is fine for highballs as well.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 5:54 pm   Permalink

Oban 14 year has always been on my short list. Very smokey.

Glenrothes 12 year (I think) is nice when you're looking for something a bit cleaner/crisper.

Any of the older Bowmore (17 yr and older) are wonderful. I've heard them described as salty or "briney" and I guess that is a fitting description. Very tasty.

It seems that (in Michigan at least) Glenlivet & Glenfiddich are paired up at most bars that feature a limited selection... as if the local distributor has a basic "must have" list. When faced with those options, always go with Glenlivet which is suprisingly good considering how common it is.

As for blended, I too reach for Johnnie Walker Black as my standard for mixing. in Rob Roy's mostly... and I did recently get to try Johnnie Walker Blue which was ok, but I was expecting more.

This last weekend I was at a silent auction and was given 3 drink tickets at the door. After I was teased by the great selection of malts behind the bar, I was informed that the tickets were for "well drinks" only. I had to pick between Kmart brand light rum and J&B. I picked the J&B and woke up the next morning feeling like death.

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 06:05 am   Permalink

Lagavulin, a 16 year old malt distilled on Islay, is my favorite single malt whiskey - and one of my favorite drinks in general. It's got a distinctive, smokey flavor that'll really warm you up on a winter's night.

That said, some folks will tell you that drinking Lagavulin is similar to dragging your tongue along a peat bog. If Lagavulin's intense, peaty flavor is too much, you might give Talisker (distilled on Skye) or Laphroaig (Islay) a try. Both these are very good, not as peaty and less expensive than Lagavulin.

Just bottled this year is Lagavulin's "The Distillers Edition." It's double matured, which seems to make it go down more smoothly and leave more mellow aftertaste.

Cheers,
Chris

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 7:00 pm   Permalink

Lagavulin and Laphroaig are the best single-malt Islay scotches, as far as I'm concerned: they're meaty, peaty, big and bouncy.

Laphroaig is the more "difficult" of the two; drinking a couple of fingers is like being ritually strangled, set on fire, and tossed into a peat bog as a pagan sacrifice. I was first introduced to it when I lived in Germany 15 years ago, and polished off a fifth on Christmas Eve with a couple of friends.

Lagavulin is also mighty peaty, but has a refined taste that you wouldn't be afraid to bring home and meet your parents.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 12:52 pm   Permalink

Laphroig is a great peat reek Islay malt for sure (Prince Charles agrees by warrant).
In fact all the Islay malts are nice drams. My favorite however is Ardbeg. It is supernacular and is an enigma.
Laphriog is 20 parts per million phenol, where as, Arbbeg is a whopping 60, but finishes quite delicate!

I'll tip you guys onto a little trade secret of the distillers..Mortlach. Considered by many Malt Maniacs to be the creme de la creme of single malts. Not available through distillery label, but by armchair bottling at fine bottle shops.

By the way, I just designed the ultimate Scotch dramming glass for Bottega del Vino in Verona, Italy. It is called the Johnson's Whisky Tot. If anybody wants one (or four) for Christmas let me know and I will get you wholesale.
Made by hand in lead free crystal.

I have incised the exact measure of "dram" and "gill" into this glass to the cl, which makes it unique. If you want to buy it at retail go to:
http://www.bottegadelvinocrystal.com
Otherwise contact me.
A copy of the press release:
BOTTEGA DEL VINO® CRYSTAL STEMWARE RELEASES STUNNING NEW “WHISKY TOT” SINGLE MALT GLASS

Single Malt Whiskys Know No Finer Glass

CHICAGO (August 22, 2005) – Bottega del Vino® (222 N. Maplewood Ave.) is pleased to present its newest hand blown crystal offering, David Johnson’s Whisky Tot, Single Malt Glass, which will be released to retailers on September 30, 2005 (2005 introductory pricing is $19.98; 2006 pricing will increase to $24.98). Executed in Bottega del Vino’s proprietary lead-free crystal, the newly created Whisky Tot’s graceful curves add to the glass’s exquisite presentation and provide an ideal shape for the proper tasting of preferred single malt whiskeys.

Throughout Scotland’s history, a variety of whisky measurements were developed yet only a few remain steeped in Scottish tradition. Bottega del Vino® chose two measurement marks for their Whisky Tot to aid in serving: the famous “wee dram” of Scottish legend, which is equal to one ounce, and the more robust “gill,” traditionally equal to five ounces.

David Johnson, of Phoenix, Arizona, historiographer on Scotch whisky, aided in the design of this unique glass to insure fair measure to the connoisseur with historical panache.

Made with barium oxide instead of lead, the durability of Bottega del Vino® crystal is beyond compare. The stemware defies tradition by making repeated trips through high-power, restaurant-grade dishwashers and escaping without a scratch. Using barium oxide results in a glass that is lighter than lead crystal but gives comparable brilliance due to its high refractive index. Each of the line’s fourteen varieties of stemware and decanters are blown entirely by hand, by Italian countryside artisans who have mastered the age-old craft.

A complete description of the crystal collection as well as a comprehensive list of retailers is available at http://www.bottegadelvinocrystal.com or by calling (888) DEL-VINO. Bottega del Vino® stemware is also available in fine wine and tabletop stores.

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-11-16 12:57 ]

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 6:52 pm   Permalink

Ardbeg, Yeeesss.

I carried a Liter of it home from Ft William like a baby. (Only I wouldn't feed the Ardbeg to a dingo)

I was so pleased to have gotten it...I had read so much about it's muscle but soft finish.

I was furious to see it for sale about two weeks later when they started importing it.

I got some from a Gordon McPhail show once, it was 17yr and silky...however I must confess to likeing the more assertive younger Islays.

Ever try Ledaig? (from Mull?) It's very nice, but it's friend Tobermorey is to be avoided at ALL costs.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 04:22 am   Permalink

J&B is a great everyday whiskey

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 2:16 pm   Permalink

Slainte Kon-Hemsby:

Ever try the J&B Ultima...now that is a superlative Scotch with over 100 Single Malts in the blend.
Sadly, I have drained my last bottle last year, and it is hard to find.

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Len

Posted: 2006-01-02 08:46 am   Permalink

HOLY SMOKES!!!
Rum Numb Davey's single malt glasses are BEYOND fantastic!!!

If you enjoy single malt whisky, do yourself a favour and
order a few of these glasses.
Your scotch has NEVER tasted better!

cheers!
Len

Quote:

On 2005-11-16 12:52, Rum Numb Davey wrote:

By the way, I just designed the ultimate Scotch dramming glass for Bottega del Vino in Verona, Italy. It is called the Johnson's Whisky Tot. If anybody wants one (or four) for Christmas let me know and I will get you wholesale.
Made by hand in lead free crystal.

I have incised the exact measure of "dram" and "gill" into this glass to the cl, which makes it unique. If you want to buy it at retail go to: http://www.bottegadelvinocrystal.com
Otherwise contact me.
A copy of the press release:
BOTTEGA DEL VINO® CRYSTAL STEMWARE RELEASES STUNNING NEW “WHISKY TOT” SINGLE MALT GLASS

Single Malt Whiskys Know No Finer Glass

CHICAGO (August 22, 2005) – Bottega del Vino® (222 N. Maplewood Ave.) is pleased to present its newest hand blown crystal offering, David Johnson’s Whisky Tot, Single Malt Glass, which will be released to retailers on September 30, 2005 (2005 introductory pricing is $19.98; 2006 pricing will increase to $24.98). Executed in Bottega del Vino’s proprietary lead-free crystal, the newly created Whisky Tot’s graceful curves add to the glass’s exquisite presentation and provide an ideal shape for the proper tasting of preferred single malt whiskeys.

Throughout Scotland’s history, a variety of whisky measurements were developed yet only a few remain steeped in Scottish tradition. Bottega del Vino® chose two measurement marks for their Whisky Tot to aid in serving: the famous “wee dram” of Scottish legend, which is equal to one ounce, and the more robust “gill,” traditionally equal to five ounces.

David Johnson, of Phoenix, Arizona, historiographer on Scotch whisky, aided in the design of this unique glass to insure fair measure to the connoisseur with historical panache.

Made with barium oxide instead of lead, the durability of Bottega del Vino® crystal is beyond compare. The stemware defies tradition by making repeated trips through high-power, restaurant-grade dishwashers and escaping without a scratch. Using barium oxide results in a glass that is lighter than lead crystal but gives comparable brilliance due to its high refractive index. Each of the line’s fourteen varieties of stemware and decanters are blown entirely by hand, by Italian countryside artisans who have mastered the age-old craft.

A complete description of the crystal collection as well as a comprehensive list of retailers is available at http://www.bottegadelvinocrystal.com or by calling (888) DEL-VINO. Bottega del Vino® stemware is also available in fine wine and tabletop stores.

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-11-16 12:57 ]

View Profile of Len Send a personal message to Len      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 1:03 pm   Permalink

Those glasses are nice...a pal gave me some very similar which I found out later cost over 70.00

something special in a vessel like that...like a portal which allows the Scotch Gods to be interpreted more clearly.

I just got some White Horse, which while it sounds like a Hawaii-5-0 term for heroin, is a nice Blend...I'd love a dram just this minute...but my f-ing fence blew down.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 10:15 pm   Permalink

Someone gave me a bottle of Oban and a bottle of The Glenlivet and told me they were really good!!!

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 12:59 am   Permalink

Hiltiki: Oban is very nice malt..I once played shinty in the wee hamlet of Oban..got me arse kicked by some hurling Gaels. Let's say it was like Field Hockey on steroids.

The Glenlivet is certainly fine single malt, as well..but not my cup o' tea.

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 05:03 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:04 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation