FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's (in yer opinion) the superlative Scotch?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
What's (in yer opinion) the superlative Scotch?
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-06 08:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-06 00:59, Rum Numb Davey wrote:
Let's say it was like Field Hockey on steroids.

Never play a field sport that is really training for wielding a claymore. The only game that the phrase "you'll have somebodies eye out" was invented

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-22 5:06 pm   Permalink

If you ever get the chance, take it with "Old Fettercairn" - A light Speyside single malt with a screw on top. It's fantastic. I had it in Scotland, and for a while I could order it online at parkavenueliquor.com . It's a well-kept secret. I forgot to mention the best one I've had overall - it would be Edradour, also hard to find.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-01-22 17:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-01-22 17:20 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 3:52 pm   Permalink

For my money, it has to be Balvenie 12 year old Doublewood. It's a single malt aged in two diffent kinds of barrels, the last one a barrel that was used to age sherry. The stuff is REAL smooth and has a very distinctive honey-like aftertaste. Best of all Trader Joe's has started carrying it for about $39.

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-25 8:11 pm   Permalink

Balvenie is pretty good - but you should research the history of it. The marketers for Bacardi (who owns most of the scotch distilleries in Scotland), developed Balvenie specifically for the American palatte, and markets it only here! I'd be surprised if you can find Balvenie of any flavor in Scotland... It's not a "heritage" scotch.

That said, it IS a delicious scotch, with a very smooth finish.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 11:29 am   Permalink

I guess the cottage scotch industry has gone the same direction as the american micro-breweries (being bought out by large breweries, but still marketed as micro).

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 11:41 am   Permalink

My brother-in-law brought a bottle of Dalwhinnie back from Scotland a few weeks ago. I finally tried it this week. It was wonderful.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-26 5:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-25 20:11, tikigap wrote:
Balvenie is pretty good - but you should research the history of it. The marketers for Bacardi (who owns most of the scotch distilleries in Scotland), developed Balvenie specifically for the American palatte, and markets it only here! I'd be surprised if you can find Balvenie of any flavor in Scotland... It's not a "heritage" scotch.

Not true. There may be a particular type that us only available here, but the Balvenie website points to distributors in Australia and France, plus the whiskey canbe bought directly from the distillery (although they will not ship outside of the UK).

This is what I want to find...

http://www.balvenie.com/shop/rumwood.html

I have had the portwood 21, the founder's reserve 10 and even the 30 and all are superb.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 7:48 pm   Permalink

Tiki-Kate: Dalwhinnie is tops...really nice stuff that.
Of that type of Malt I think it (and maybe Glenrothes) are about the best there is. Not so challenging as some, and great before bed with a piece of toast and a bitter marmalade like Coopers, or Robertson's Scotchshred.

Maybe even a marmalade with a sour note like King Kelly would go with those...hmmm.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-02 10:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-13 17:38, Gigantalope wrote:
Any Why?

For example...I think Ardbeg 10 is about the best thing to drink there is, but it's pricey. An argument can be made that "Finlaggan" is tops (it's a brand name from Trader Joe's) which has a similar peatyness, but is about 1/4 the cost.

McCallan and Dalwhinnie seem to be the ones I offer to people most that they are gushy about.

Atomictonytiki sort of talked me into bringing Scapa to a Scotchtasting, and it was the item which was most clammored for of any malts there.

What is your opinion of this?

I really like McCallan's... it's wonderful. I'm a speyside guy. Highland is pretty good too. You can have the Islays.

I'll have to find the source of my (mis?) information about the Balvenie. It truly is good scotch - tastes great! less filling! But there is some marketing trickery going on there.

gap

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-02-02 22:03 ]

boomshine

Posted: 2006-04-19 07:48 am   Permalink

Wrong on so many counts. In fact, the only thing right in this post is that Balvenie is good whisky. OK, Balvenie was founded in 1892 and has been in continuous operation ever since (that enough "heritage" for you?) and is widely available and drunk here in Scotland - I'm a particular fan of the Doublewood if you can get hold of it, very smooth. Bacardi aren't anywhere near being the biggest distillers in Scotland, last time I checked that was Diageo (the guys who make Jonnie Walker) by a mile.

Personally, I prefer a whisky with a bit more depth to it. I recommend the Lagavulin 16yo, which is deep and smokey, with a smooth toffee-ish edge and a lingering finish. More esoteric choices would be Clynlish 14yo, smokey again, with a salty, maratime edge (one of my faves) or Old Pultney 12yo, from my family home of Wick, in the far north of Scotland, which is very smooth, with a hint of the sea on the finish - all much more interesting than your standard Speyside.

Finally, if you will insist on drinking your whisky with ice, it doesn't matter what you drink, you won't taste it anyway. Oh, and a bottle of blended scotch is handy to have around if you run out of anti-freeze in the winter (I can't think of anything else it's good for).

Quote:

On 2006-01-25 20:11, tikigap wrote:

View Profile of boomshine Send a personal message to boomshine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-19 08:18 am   Permalink

Oban is pretty damn good too --Laphroig is a friend of mines favorite but that stuff is WAY too peat mossy for me

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-19 10:49 am   Permalink

Welcome to Tiki Central, boomshine!
It's great to see someone from across the pond - Scotland no less! - chime in on this discussion in particular.

cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-19 02:50 am   Permalink

Has anyone else tried Monkey Shoulder, Triple Malt.
I recieved a bottle yesterday,and it's very nice, it seems to be pushed as the whisky for Cocktail bartenders with many of our countrys finest Bartenders on the team.
To find out, why the strange name, watch the Video on the Website
http://www.monkeyshoulder.com/
Hey AtomicTonyTiki, if you see this, they are also having a Tiki Monkey party this Tuesday in Edinburgh at the Dragonfly

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-05-19 02:57 am   Permalink

Yes, I have had Monkey Shoulder and I think it is very good. It is a blend of three neighboring speyside distilleries. I remember two of them, but am not sure how to spell them so I won't try. Another excellent but leser known scotch from the same region is Mortlach. It too is among my personal favories.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-19 06:33 am   Permalink

I don't know how I've avoid it for so long, but I tried some Bruichladdich this weekend, and was quite impressed. I drove 50 miles to a store that had Ledaig from Mull, another nice malt, and they had this too in the shop...

It comes in a variety of incarnations (I chose "Moine Mohr" = Big Peat)...it bills itself as "The Refined Islay" and I must say, it was quite a treat.

Does anybody else have experiance with this Malt? Also I was curious if anybody else has habitually drank (on your own nickle) the Blue or Green Label (Johnny) I keep thinking I'll have some at a party or some place, but have yet to try either.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation