FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's (in yer opinion) the superlative Scotch?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
What's (in yer opinion) the superlative Scotch?
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-19 09:37 am   Permalink

The Dragonfly? I had to look it up, its the done up "Firestation" an imfamous old underage drinking den and whorehouse.

I frankly don't have very high hopes on the "Tiki Monkey" night, Edinburgh has a bad tiki reputation the shudderfull "Waikiki Beach" (a super pub in the florida style) was a prime example.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-19 10:16 am   Permalink

Well whatever it turns out like, there are going to be some damn fine coctail Bartenders there so you'll get a good drink, i was going to go myself as i'm carving some tikis for it, but i can't.
I can probably get an invite for you if you want.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-22 12:41 pm   Permalink

Truly one of the finst Scotches I have ever encountered is a 25 year old, cask strength, Royal Brachla. Whaaaaaa.

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grindstone

Posted: 2006-05-30 6:21 pm   Permalink

I wholeheartedly support the Lagavulin camp but I've found one even better for about the same price. Caol Isla 18 year old. Heaven in a glass.

Speaking of glasses, I really need to get a hold of those glasses on pg. 1.

View Profile of Grindstone Send a personal message to Grindstone      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dan131m

Posted: 2006-06-04 07:27 am   Permalink

Since I'm a huge fan of smokiness, my favorite region is Islay. My favorite Islay is Laphroaig. However, the intense smokiness and peatiness of single-malts count against them when you're trying to make a Blood and Sand, so I use Cuttysark's for that.

Has anyone had Jura scotch? Or some of the American vattings? I've read a little about them, but never went looking for them.

View Profile of dan131m Send a personal message to dan131m      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-30 08:56 am   Permalink

Amuzing new Scotch Adds

#3 is a refferance to the "All Black" Haka Dance

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6G30e_BA1o
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX8sS0zyMgA
Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuXFjVAYk7Q
Part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTKwtfJZY_s

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikifan1
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-11 5:21 pm   Permalink

Ok... I have a scotch question.. I bought a bottle of The Glenlivet 24 year scotch like 10 years ago, it hasn't been opened. Do I now have 34 yr old scotch or just an old bottle of 24 yr? I'm pretty sure I know the answer.. but am unsure. Thx in advance.

View Profile of Tikifan1 Send a personal message to Tikifan1  Email Tikifan1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-11 8:35 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately, spirits don't age in the bottle--only in the barrel.

EDIT: 'Course it will change character over time in the bottle, but the age on the label is the barrel age and you can't add to that once it's been bottled.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Moto 2010-12-11 20:39 ]

View Profile of Mr. Moto Send a personal message to Mr. Moto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikifan1
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-11 9:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-11 20:35, Mr. Moto wrote:
Unfortunately, spirits don't age in the bottle--only in the barrel.

EDIT: 'Course it will change character over time in the bottle, but the age on the label is the barrel age and you can't add to that once it's been bottled.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Moto 2010-12-11 20:39 ]

That's kinda what I suspected. It's been stored in a cool dark place, so it should be just fine. I remember it being quite a pricy bottle when I bought it.. haven't had a good reason to crack it open, maybe soon.

View Profile of Tikifan1 Send a personal message to Tikifan1  Email Tikifan1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-12 12:05 pm   Permalink

Lagavulin 16yr old malt distilled in Isly is my favorite of all times. I like the smokey flavor and the clean clear taste. I am hoping for Santa to bring a bottle for me. So far I am paying $21.00 per shot at Musso and Frank Grill, ouch!

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bewitched By Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-15 7:14 pm   Permalink

I am a single malt Scotch Girl myself. I have always enjoyed, 18 year Glenlivet. But that was only until I recently tried Bruichladdich, described on their site as a sophisticated Islay Single Malt. It was given to us as a gift and when I went to replentish our supply I realized why it was so good. $150 a bottle, but so sweet and smooth with nice complex flavors. If you ever get the chance to try it or invest in a bottle you won't be disapointed. In my opinion by far the best one out there. Here is their site. http://www.bruichladdich.com/

View Profile of Bewitched By Tiki Send a personal message to Bewitched By Tiki  Email Bewitched By Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mantis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-22 6:51 pm   Permalink

In the "people who like this sort of thing..." category; Just tried Laphroig Quarter Cask, and I think it's my new favorite. Smokey as hell, and a lot of flavors going on. Z

View Profile of Tiki Mantis Send a personal message to Tiki Mantis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-29 09:44 am   Permalink

As usual, I'm chiming in late.

I have several faves. For cigar duty, my absolute favorite is Aberlour 10 y.o. For mixing, Johnnie Walker Black. For sipping I'm torn between Macallan 25 y.o. and Balvenie Doublewood. For the "WHAAAAAAAT???" factor, you can't beat Costco's Single Malt. (It's a 19 y.o. Macallan for +/- $60/bot.)

Now you know.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-29 10:09 pm   Permalink

For Christmas a friend gave me a bottle of Glenroths Reserve, has anyone tried this yet?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kid_dynamo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-30 4:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-29 22:09, hiltiki wrote:
For Christmas a friend gave me a bottle of Glenroths Reserve, has anyone tried this yet?

A long time ago. I remember really liking it though, but can't remember much else....

View Profile of kid_dynamo Send a personal message to kid_dynamo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation