FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Central Ohana I loved him...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
I loved him...
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 8:50 pm   Permalink

And I told him so often.
In fact my last words to him were:
"I love you, braddah - next trip you're going with me."

I'm in the Philippines but I got the news last night...

I'll miss him but I'm glad to have gotten to know him.

His rich harmonies, his easy laugh, his delight to learn, his exasperating habit of being the very last to leave the Lagoon Lounge, his goofy New Years' Resolutions, his never-ending line of unique friends, his fresh hand grown produce that he would bring to us (including bananas), his willingness to play and obvious enjoyment of our circle's company, his genuine nature and loving view of humanity.

He was a true friend and a good man who cared deeply for people.

RustyKey.

Those of you who got to meet him and enjoy his company are very blessed.
He really enjoyed knowing you all. He mentioned several names of people to me over the years that he really thought fondly of. KailuaGeoff and Marian. Tristan and Tiki Bree. Humuhumu. Swanky. Chip and Andy. Shell in the Pacific. There are many more of you. Those are the names that come right to the top of my mind.

He went crazy with glee at the Hukilau and always had a new name to trot out to me of someone he had met and really liked. King Kukulele always had him laughing loudly.

I won't even go into what the Haole Kats and their families meant to him.

Live aloha every day.
Tell those you love that you do. Make it a habit.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 8:58 pm   Permalink

I didn't know him but he was privileged to have a friend like you.

My condolences.

Derek

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2005-11-14 20:58 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 9:09 pm   Permalink

Say it aint so.......

Andy and I consider it an honor to have met him and a pleasure to count him as a friend.

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2005-11-14 21:09 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 9:11 pm   Permalink

My condolences too. I didnt know him, but he sounds like a top bloke, and you obviously had a lot of respect for him.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 9:35 pm   Permalink

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

Our condolences to you.

View Profile of OnaTiki Send a personal message to OnaTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 10:10 pm   Permalink

Russ was a wonderful man and a pleasure to be around. His enthusiasm often reminded me of why I started playing music in the first place. You couldn't hope to meet a more gentle, compassionate and all around good human being.

I'm lucky enough to be able to say he was my friend. Russ, you'll be missed.

Josh

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 11:18 pm   Permalink

I have met him at Hukilau, and he looked like someone really nice. Sad, sad, sad.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 11:40 pm   Permalink

Oh my god. I'm in shock. Pablus, I'm so very, very sorry. Rusty Key was a dear, darling man. He was so easy to connect with, so... f#$k. I need to go cry now. I'm really sorry, Pablus.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 11:44 pm   Permalink

Wow...Me and Nikki are crying, man...Wow...That's just...very heavy. I can't even say. We both talked story with Rusty at Hukilau...How did this happen? Man, Paul and Scott and all, I just don't know what to say...I gotta go. Terrible news....

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 12:07 am   Permalink

My deepest sympathies and warmest thoughts to you during this time. So sorry for your loss.

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

View Profile of TikiTikiBoom Send a personal message to TikiTikiBoom  Email TikiTikiBoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 12:38 am   Permalink

Thanks for your warm responses.

Angela and I, Koka Nut (Scott) and Aimee, Josh, TJ and Heather, Joe, Palm Farmer Johnny, Tall Mark, Mad Mike, Diamond Dizzle Darryl, Long Lee and the rest of our little crew appreciate what this community meant to Russ. And we all appreciate your kindness at this very difficult time.

BTW, since a few have pm'ed me and asked: He was about 55 and died of a heart attack at home. No previous history of trouble although I found out that he had been ignoring symptoms of congestive heart failure for a while. After what I've been through this year I would like to have thought that he would have had everything checked out multiple times.

Even though I was reticent about dropping this on the forum, I thought that it was fitting since this was one of his favorite groups of people and I might miss somebody by a PM blitz.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 05:55 am   Permalink

We met Russ for the first time at Hukilau this year. He expeled kindness in his voice. He came over to our booth and talked with Trish and I quite a bit throughout the weekend. He even supported us with the purchase of a willow walking stick we had there that nobody wanted. Beautiful piece of wood. He collected walking sticks and was in awe of this one and loved it. You might have seen him walking around with it. His kindness to us meant alot. We were just speaking of him and about how kind he was the other night after listening to the CD you gave us Pablus. It's going to be hard to listen to it the next time we put it in.

We're sorry for the loss of such a great man, and for your sorrow. He will be missed.

Gary & Trish

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 06:29 am   Permalink

Condolences from Mr. Ho and WAITIKI. Don't even know what else to say except it sounds like this guy is fortunate to have such an ohana around him like this one on TC.

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Whollycat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-15 08:17 am   Permalink

One of the most kind,helpful,intelligent,and mellow man I have ever come across on this planet. I am blessed to have known him and will miss our conversations about ukes,music,and the spirit that guides us all. Pablus,Scott,everyone at Media Central,the Kats and I all will share our sorrow for a very long time to come. Our circle has been broken along with our hearts. I will take a piece of Russ onstage with me forever more...

Rest in tropical peace Braddah .....
Joe/Haole Kats

View Profile of Whollycat Send a personal message to Whollycat  Email Whollycat Goto the website of Whollycat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 08:40 am   Permalink

My thoughts are with you Pablus and with this Ohana who are blessed to have met him. I'm deeply saddened.

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2005-11-15 08:42 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation