FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Central Ohana » » I loved him...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
I loved him...
Kanekila
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 08:40 am   Permalink

That was a beautiful and very moving tribute to a wonderful friend, a wonderful man and a beautiful soul, Pablus. Heather and I are both sad beyond words about this news.

Rusty was always gentle, soft-spoken, kind and warm-hearted. Everytime we'd meet, he always put his arm around me and asked "How are you doing?" Most of us say this to each other casually everyday, but when Rusty asked you, he was sincere about it -- he really wanted to know how you were doing.

I also remember how he told me how lucky I was to have such a wonderful wahine in Heather. Of course, I could not agree more.

Man, I can't listen to him singing "Beautiful Kauai" on the Crazed Mugs CD without getting misty, and I imagine it will be like that for quite a while. I like to believe he's in a place now that's very much like that. I will miss him very much.

Here's to you, Rusty -- Rest in Peace, braddah.

View Profile of Kanekila Send a personal message to Kanekila  Email Kanekila Goto the website of Kanekila     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-11-15 09:18 am   Permalink

sniff

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 09:26 am   Permalink

I feel very cheated that I didn't get to meet him at Hukilau . I'm so glad you got to know him and love him so, though, Pablus.
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 09:45 am   Permalink

Very sad news. Paul, you said it best. I know this must be difficult. Thank you so much for introducing us- it would have been a great loss not to have known him. Goodbye friend. Thank you for the warm memories.

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 09:48 am   Permalink

Very sad to hear this news and of the loss of our Ohana. I never met Rusty either but he touched me with his music. Pablus you are a lucky man to have been able to share the gift of music with this friend. The music you guys all made together will keep him alive forever. I feel for everybody who was close to him.

Chongolio

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 10:26 am   Permalink

I was not only fortunate to meet Rusty and have a toast with him, but he also brought a special vibe (like all the rest) to an after party I hosted at Hukilau 05. Here he is (the way he'd probably liked to be remembered) just enjoying the moment in time enjoying himself, at the after party. The video is compliments of KuKuAhu. (It takes about a minute to download).
I invited Russ to next year's Hukilau after party, and he said he would come.
I know he'll be there.
And by the way, at Pablu's note....I love all the friends I've made at Tiki Central!!
Save me a seat at the Mai Kai Rusty!!
I'll miss ya dude!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 10:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-15 10:26, Unga Bunga wrote:
Here he is (the way he'd probably liked to be remembered) just enjoying the moment in time enjoying himself, at the after party. The video is compliments of KuKuAhu. (It takes about a minute to download).

Funny, I was just about to post that here myself. Thanks Unga. I am suddenly overwhelmingly glad I recorded that moment in time.

Pablus, I'm so sorry man. Hang in there buckeye. If there's anything I can do..

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanekila
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 11:24 am   Permalink

Pablus, yes -- please let us know if Russ's mom needs anything that you know of, or if there's anything else we can do.

Here's a pic from UngaBunga's afterparty with Rusty, Scott, Pablus, Josh, moi and Crazy Al assuming a horizontal position. That's was quite a night to remember (well, I remember most of it, anyway).

http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ungabungasparty0yi.jpg

View Profile of Kanekila Send a personal message to Kanekila  Email Kanekila Goto the website of Kanekila     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 11:45 am   Permalink

We were dumbstruck when we saw this post last night...just couldn't believe it. I'm so sorry, Paul. The Crazed Mugs CD has been on regular rotation around this household...and has become my main carving CD. There'll be many toasts...There should be a Rusty mug. Mine and Nikki's condolences, Paul and Scott and his family...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 11:49 am   Permalink

There are a number of pictures of Russ in my gallery of pics from Daytona Beach last January, here's my favorite one:

Rusty was clearly an uncommon man, for him to have touched so many of us so profoundly, so quickly. After having a good cry last night, I put this in my Humu Kon Tiki blog, I'll share it here, too:

Quote:
I didn’t get to know Rusty Key as well as I should have, but my encounters with him left me feeling warm and fortunate to have crossed paths with him. My favorite memory is of his kindness and patience in teaching me how to play “Wait For Me” — I still have the song sheet where he wrote down which chords to play when. He made me feel like he was every bit as excited about my learning ukulele as I was. I’m so very sad that I won’t be able to play it with him when I’m in Florida in January.

Rusty: I’ll meet you in Waikiki, under the banyan tree….

Pablus, thank you for sharing your friend with us.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 12:45 pm   Permalink

Let me add my condolences, too, Pablus. Although I didn't get to know Rusty, I did meet him at Unga Bunga's party, and it is always sad for such a close community to lose someone so treasured. He was too young, but perhaps he is needed elsewhere.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 2:16 pm   Permalink

This is so sad. I feel really bad for Pablus and the tiki ohana over on the west coast. The gentlest part of our tiki soul is gone. Unbelievable.

Now I know how very lucky we were that Rusty and Pablus came to the Honolulu Lounge over the summer to drink and talk and play ukes with us and Flounder and Meg. That was yesterday and it was such a special time for all of us.

Thanks for saying that Rusty would mention how he enjoyed our company, Pablus. I think I told you several times the same about him. One thing Rusty and I really connected on was the need for the tiki community to be about sharing and caring for each other and making sure everyone had a good time, and not so much about selling and egos and being in charge of something or the biggest expert. We used to talk about how the tiki community at its best was kind of like the old Deadhead community and how great that was when it happened.

He also told me many times how much he cared for you Paul.

I can still see him sitting in the Hawaiian Inn patiently squeezing fresh citrus that he brought from his own trees for our giant rum barrel. Just working on it and enjoying the vibe until the Zombie's were perfect. Then making sure everyone had a drink or didn't have one if that is what they wanted. What a cool dude and what a major loss, but what a joy to have gotten to know him if just for a short while.

KG

Here's another of Humuhumu's photo's from last January.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2005-11-15 14:31 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 3:07 pm   Permalink

So sorry for your loss.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amiotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 3:29 pm   Permalink

I never had the pleasure of meeting Rusty, yet I feel bereft. He was so clearly one of the finest souls on the planet. To all of you who did know and love him, particularly you, Paul, I send my most sympathetic condolences.

View Profile of amiotiki Send a personal message to amiotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 3:49 pm   Permalink

To Pablus and Rusty's TC friends -

Just wanted to send my condolences and fond aloha via the tc coconut wireless. To Mr. Rusty I say "A hui hou", which in Hawaiian means, "Until we meet again" ... I enjoyed meeting you at Unga Bunga's and hearing your music.

-Randy Wong

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation