FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving anybody know anything about bamboo bugs?
anybody know anything about bamboo bugs?
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 05:57 am   Permalink

I've reached the point in my home bar project where I need to start thinking about bamboo. I know there're little bugs that live in bamboo that one should get exterminated. But I was wondering: can those little bugs stand a New England Winter? If I leave them outside for a few weeks, will that fix the little &%@$*s and save me some money?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 07:26 am   Permalink

Most bamboo can stand a winter in the North East (there were several stands on Staten Island when I was growing up, and there were a number of stands in parks in Chicago when I lived there), so I'd think that the 'BooBugs could, too.

You could call the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, I know that they grow bamboo there and they'll probably know something about it's pests & whether they can stand your winters. The Plant Information Hotline is 617.524.1718 x 127, but it's only open on Mondays from 1 to 3 PM. You could perform a Google Local search by typing in the word Arboretum along with your town name & Massachusetts, i.e. "arboretum, boston, ma", to turn up an Arboretum that's closer to you.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 08:19 am   Permalink

Thanks.

I guess if bamboo can grow in Chicago, those buggies might just live anywhere too. I'll call and see what I learn.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
curb creature
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-15 3:02 pm   Permalink

you could always wrap the bamboo in plastic, and let off one of those cheapy "bug bombs".maybe poke a hole or two,in the plastc so it doesnt explode..

View Profile of curb creature Send a personal message to curb creature  Email curb creature Goto the website of curb creature     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 3:06 pm   Permalink

Boric Acid. Or ask Bambooben.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation