FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Mug Patents
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Mug Patents
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 09:19 am   Permalink

these would be cool to print out as a companion for t.v. mugs...you could display your mugs along with the copies of the patents....just a thought

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 11:14 am   Permalink

great stuff--love would be good as postcards!!

Ps- have you found the United Airlines menehune decanter?
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 2:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-16 20:32, Nightmaretony wrote:
Tangaroa: VERY kewl, got a bunch as well for amusement park rides. Found a book listing a ton of ride patents, will have to key them in someday. Are you an ACE member, by any chance?

Nope! I am not so much of a coaster fanatic, as I am a theme / amusement park fan. I like roller coasters OK, just not obsessed with them....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 4:14 pm   Permalink

I think this mug is Philipine mahogany. That would explain the Filipino designer.
See it!

Tiki cigarette case
See it!

OK--I saved the best one for last...
See it!

Now the mystifying part--I can't find any more. I expected to find Tiki Bob anyway but nothin'....Maybe he'd be found in the trademark patents. After my finger heals up, I may look for some more. Enjoy!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 4:30 pm   Permalink

P.S. Here's the funniest patent I found. I hope the moderators don't find it too political. (Not tiki-related)

See it!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-23 9:39 pm   Permalink

Is it true that a patent is only good for 20 Years???
Moon

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limehouse

Posted: 2005-12-01 05:56 am   Permalink

These are extremely interesting...

View Profile of Limehouse Send a personal message to Limehouse      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sumu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-01 08:38 am   Permalink

It's relatively easy to get around a design patent; you simply alter the design or look of the item. Now a UTILITY patent is a different matter, and would be much more challenging to get around, as that directs how an item works or functions. A mug in the shape of a skull - design patent, a mug that whistles when you drink from it - utility patent.

If both utility and design are important, you can get both - If the design, say, offers some sort of function - for instance, a kitchen utensil that has a handle that is shaped in a certain way that makes it easier to hold and use.

View Profile of sumu Send a personal message to sumu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 09:13 am   Permalink

Wow..this shows how much fun research can be..well, if you do not have to do days of digging like you must have. Thanks for sharing the fruits of your labor.

I am amazed that you found as obscure an item as the "Tiki Tote" plastic cigarette case, it's on page 241 of the BOT. I have it in black, but for the photo of the back I used a grey version from a friend.

I believe for the Tiki Bob mug they just used the menu drawn by Alec Yuill Thornton and sent it in, maybe if they WOULD have patented it, the Elvis and N.O. Bali Hai versions would not have been made.

A little note on your signature Tiki:
It is one of the earliest "revival" Tikis, made for a Levis Jeans ad in the mid 90s. Later the design was swiped as a logo Tiki by the Luau Polynesian Lounge in Seattle. I got one of the painted plaster casts of it, from a friend who worked in the model shop that made it, it's about 8 inches tall, really neat.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 1:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-01 09:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
A little note on your signature Tiki:
It is one of the earliest "revival" Tikis, made for a Levis Jeans ad in the mid 90s. Later the design was swiped as a logo Tiki by the Luau Polynesian Lounge in Seattle. I got one of the painted plaster casts of it, from a friend who worked in the model shop that made it, it's about 8 inches tall, really neat.

Nothing gets by Big Bro! Now I need a new sig...

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 2:35 pm   Permalink

No no, I didn't wanna be a know-it-all, I think it is a unique and cool design for a Ku, you should keep it!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-04 11:34 am   Permalink

Rockin research work, Pappy! Your efforts are inspiring.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 11:18 am   Permalink

It's now much easier to search for Tiki Mug Patents with Google Patent Search.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 5:50 pm   Permalink

This is a cool thread

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-01 7:21 pm   Permalink

Just poking around with Google Patent Search and thought I'd see what else ol' Trader Vic had a patent for!

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation