FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Goodbye, Link Wray...We'll miss you.
Goodbye, Link Wray...We'll miss you.
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-21 3:57 pm   Permalink

Link Wray.. 1929-2005. Rest in peace, Ripper.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacksandz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-21 5:59 pm   Permalink

The true "Ace of Spades"! R.I.P.

"He is the king; if it hadn't been for Link Wray and 'Rumble', I would have never picked up a guitar."

Pete Townshend.

View Profile of blacksandz Send a personal message to blacksandz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-11-22 12:46 am   Permalink

Link Wray was one of the few artists that I never got to see. Every so often, I would see his name listed in the upcoming shows for some DC area club, and I would circle it and look forward to attending -- but the show would always end up being cancelled.

The Washington Post has a nice article on Link Wray
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/21/AR2005112101625.html

Two interesting tidbits I learned in the article

1) Bob Dylan called "Rumble" " the greatest instrumental ever"; on Sunday, Dylan opened his concert at London's Brixton Academy with a cover of the song.

2) "Rumble" was the first rock instrumental that was banned from being played on certain radio stations. (Some said it incited gang violence)

Vern

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev 2005-11-22 00:47 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Shocker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-22 09:26 am   Permalink

truly a legend......

View Profile of Dr. Shocker Send a personal message to Dr. Shocker  Goto the website of Dr. Shocker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sirginn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-11-22 09:52 am   Permalink

I feel fortunate to have seen this legend, nice guy, signed our ticket stubs after the show.

A true loss.

View Profile of sirginn Send a personal message to sirginn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-22 2:55 pm   Permalink

Glad to have seen him. Sad to see him go.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-22 9:51 pm   Permalink

Crossed state lines into New Jersey quite a while back, to see a show called Great Guitars. There was Johnny Winter, some other guys I don't remember, and one dude I thought was a bit long in the tooth. Turns out he was the man, Link Wray. I listen to his stuff on CD today and just want to speed up the red roadster and live a Tarantino kind of life.

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 1:52 pm   Permalink

Hey all,

KFAI - FM in Minneapolis is having a tribute to Link on the program Radio Rumpus Room. The details are below, but you can listen in on the internet at
www.kfai.org.

Think Link! Radio Rumpus Room (Fridays, 9:00-10:30 PM) pays tribute to Link Wray, one of the most influential guitar wranglers in history, this Friday, December 2. We will observe the recent passing of the creator of such legendary instrumentals as "Rumble," "Jack The Ripper," "Rawhide" and "Comanche," One of the first guitarists to experiment with feedback and distortion, Wray was tagged by the British mag NME as the man who "invented punk rock, heavy metal and every other form of sonic nastiness."

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation