[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Old Tiki Found in Mar Vista, CA
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Old Tiki Found in Mar Vista, CA
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-19 12:10 pm   Permalink

Last Sunday, after Sabu attended church like a good Coconut Boy, he stopped at some thrift stores on Venice Blvd in Mar Vista to look for some Hawaiiana. He was unsuccessful, finding mostly a lot of Crap-iana and Cheap-Clothes-iana, but looking across the street, he spied the Mar Vista Lanes bowling alley and his well-developed tiki-sense began tingling, just like Spider Man's. (In fact, in a battle to the death between Sabu The Coconut Boy and Spider Man, Sabu would always find the Bali Hai mug hidden in the box of LPs faster than Spider Man. I use the term "Battle to the Death" figuratively here. It would actually be more like a "Massacre")

Anyway, something drew my attention to this old Sixties bowling alley.

Yes, something about that column on the left-hand side of the building, hidden by the hedge:

As I approached, it began to take on a familiar shape:

Ah Ha! From the side, our friend the tiki reveals himself!

I apologize for the darkness of the photo, but this is a big-lipped tiki with enormous eyes that cover most of its head.

I quickly checked inside the bar, the bowling alley, and the coffee shop, but could find no other tikis. The coffee shop was promising with all kinds of dark, cave-like grottos and stonework, but if there were other tikis at one time, they no longer exist. The bowling alley itself is pure atomic design. The bowling balls are painted bright, fifties colors and the place was full on a Sunday afternoon with families and lots of kids. The coffee shop was likewise packed. I'm glad to see this place is doing a thriving business.

Does anyone else know anything about the history of the Mar Vista Lanes on the corner of Venice Blvd and Grand View? Doesn't it seem unlikely that there was only one tiki for the entire building? Wouldn't they have had more at one time? Has anyone else out there found this besides me? I would appreciate any information. Thanks.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-11-19 12:41 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

No nothing of the bowling alley, but am quite impressed with your tiki awareness!

Are you sure you went to church last Sunday young man? After the Saturday night we had at Kona Lanes.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-19 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Are you sure you went to church last Sunday young man? After the Saturday night we had at Kona Lanes.

Sure I went to church! After Saturday night, someone had to pray for the salvation of you poor sinners. Reverend Bamboo Ben and I had our work cut out for us.

Sabu (Church of Electrolysis) The Coconut Boy

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2002-11-19 13:29 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-19 3:54 pm   Permalink

Fine urban archeology, Sabu, that one would have been hard to recognize even without the hedge obscuring it. I can tell you are suffering from (or blessed by) advanced Tiki oversensitization. This is usually diagnosed when the "Tiki-in-the-corner-of-the-eye" symptom occurs, which is a drive by phenomenon. Cruising through urban blight and clutter, all of a sudden one believes to have seen a Tiki in passing. Most of the time it turns out to be a hedge or a sign post, sometimes one can see the shape of a Tiki in it.But some discoveries like this one have been made that way.

The Mar Vista Bowl was built by Armet& Davis around 1961, and it used to house the Makai Cocktail Lounge. If you look at the street photo, behind the green/blue Buick/LTD car there is an open door, to the LEFT of that door is a sign "Cocktails", and to the left of of THAT is a small A-frame entrance, behind which you could find the Makai Room. Once, that is, but no more.

It does not seem to have been around for long (70s?), because when I inquired about it at the Bowling Alley in the mid-90s, no one remembered it, not even the oldest beehived waitress.
BUT I found some great B&W interiors of it at
Armet & Davis back then. It was very minimalistic modern: Lava rock, bamboo poles, strange mod/prim. masks on the wall. And I remember seeing the MENUS on the tables in the coffe shop photos, which together with the napkins had the logo Tiki (BOT p.197) on it. Those menus were suoercool, Googie design and Tiki in one. NEVER have found one. My pal Jeff Berry has a cheapo glass ashtray with the Tiki on it...
Unfortunately, when I went back to A&D in the end-90s with my friend John English (the A&D archivist now), those photos were nowhere to be found, or they woulld have been in the book.

Hey, lets bowl THERE some time!?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-19 4:11 pm   Permalink

NICE! Really great detective work....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-19 4:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bigbro!

I had a feeling you might know the history of this place. The entrance to the cocktail bar was my first guess as well, but when I went inside, it was all basic black and grungy. A few early-afternoon patrons were watching the Sunday football games on TV.

Then right through the bar and you're into the bowling alley itself with all these kids having a big birthday party and bowling up a storm. It was such a contrast to the seediness of the bar. Then you take a left and travel half the length of the bowling alley and there is an entrance to the coffee shop. I really liked the layout of the place.

We should go bowling there some night. We could first have drinks and steamed clams at The Galley in nearby Santa Monica on Broadway. Actually, Johnny Velour's pad isn't that far away either...

Your description of the Makai Lounge makes me yearn to find an old menu or napkin myself. Maybe I'll start hitting some of the garage sales again in Mar Vista. I've had good luck there before with other tiki stuff.

Sabu

hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2002-11-19 5:03 pm   Permalink

here's an enhanced pic of the one above (my appologies if this pisses Sabu off!):

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-11-19 17:04 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-19 6:11 pm   Permalink

Much better!

Thanks, Hanford!

Sabu

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-19 8:29 pm   Permalink

Crazy Al just suggested the Java Lanes to me, since they are still open...

Why not a Tiki bowling event once a month?
December: Mar Vista Bowl
January: Java Lanes
February: Montebello Bowl (cool resin art in lounge)
...and so on

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-19 10:39 pm   Permalink

I'd be up for that idea, as long as I'm not in the middle of moving (which may be soon!)

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-20 10:01 am   Permalink

Be sure & let us know - we'd be up for it....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-22 7:07 pm   Permalink

I scanned a matchbook I have from the place:

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-22 8:55 pm   Permalink

DANG! Until recently I rode my bike past there several times a week. Guess you need to do Urban Arch on foot!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-23 08:56 am   Permalink

If you stop looking for your dad.
You can focus on TIKI.
Charles how the heck are ya.

Happydog (What can I do?)

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-23 10:54 am   Permalink

Bax,

Have not found him yet
Dearth of tikis here in sticks
Bo Duke sends regards.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation