FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Orchids of Hawaii
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Orchids of Hawaii
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 5:25 pm   Permalink

I did a search online and found this:

Quote:
From JetSet NYC:
Orchids Of Hawaii

(1-800-223-2124)...a restaurant supply company with an exotica mail order catalog. Fringed table skirts ($3.50 a running foot), bottles of flambe (6 bottles for $61), a complete luau decorating kit ($31.95) and much more!

After searching 800# directories, Orchids of Hawaii appear to be operational. Anyone try calling the number?

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 9:14 pm   Permalink

I've heard rumors from some pretty good sources here on TC that Orchids and Dynasty are one in the same. Name change for legal reasons. Anyways Dynasty has a website and their catalog is online. Looks pretty similar to the Orchids catalog. I'm going to update the list I put up earlier with the Orchids catalog numbers and then a second column for the corresponding Dynasty catalog numbers. Not everything in the Orchids catalog seems to have made it over to Dynasty and there are some new things in the Dynasty catalog that I don't think were ever in the Orchids catalog. I have some pieces marked Orchids on the bottom with the "R" number and then corresponding piece with Dynasty's "DW" number. I wonder if the 800 numbers are the same?

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 9:17 pm   Permalink

No, 800 numbers are different. Dynasty is 800-828-0810.

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 10:13 pm   Permalink

I just noticed that you are missing another one that I have. R-73B - it is just like R-73A just larger. They are pictured together on page 91 in Tiki Quest.

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 10:42 pm   Permalink

I did a quick search on "3703 Provost Ave, Bronx" and found that that address is now home to a DVD store called Love Shack III, Phone:(718) 515-6969

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigkahuna627
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-04 11:32 am   Permalink

Tried the Orchids number several times. Busy every time. Did a reverse look up on that number and got nothing. My guess is that is no good.

Wild Bill's Tiki Hut
http://stores.ebay.com/Wild-Bills-Tiki-Hut

View Profile of bigkahuna627 Send a personal message to bigkahuna627  Email bigkahuna627 Goto the website of bigkahuna627     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-07 6:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I've been working on organizing my Orchids of Hawaii mugs. I'm trying to come up with complete list of what's out there. I've come up with 42 so far. That's not counting variations in color or slight modifications. I have 23 actual Orchids mugs and then I have some representations i.e. Dynasty knockoffs. I found this old thread and with it a link to some Orchids catalog pages. Does anyone have complete catalogs and would they be interested in scanning them in here? Here's my list. Can anyone fill in the gaps?
R1 - Headhunter
R2 - X Eyes
R3 - Jewel Eyes
R5 - Hut Tiki
R6 - Bamboo bundle
R8 - Three face bucket
R10 - Skull
R11 - Rum Barrel
R12 - Kahuna coffee
R13 - Coconut
R14 - Scorpion bowl
R15 - Pineapple w/lid
R18 - Bora Bora
R21 - Samurai
R22 - Geisha
R23 - Jurojin
R70
R71 - Ku
R72 - Easter Island
R73 - Red hula
R73A - Nani
R74
R76 - Lono
R78 - Hula
R79 - Lani
R80 - Surfing boy
R80A - Surfing girl
R82 - Fu Manchu
R86A - Compote
R88 - Kona Kai
R90 - Deluxe coconut
R91 - Leilani
R92 - Confucius
R93 - China Doll
R94 - Volcano bowl w/ center
R94A - Volcano w/o center
R95 - Hotei
R96 - Parasol girl
R97 - Buddha
R98 - Hat girl
R99 - Mermaid
R122 - Neko Cat

Just thought I would add to the list here. Dave & I had dinner tonight with Velveteen Lounge at ING'S. Kelly & I each picked up a nice Orientala Girl in a celadon green. It's marked Orchids of Hawaii R-126. Will post a photo tomorrow in the sunlight. For some reason my flash is over exposing my photos.. Has anyone else seen these?

[Over the hill and scraping my way up the other side, but I'll be damned if I'm going down with out a fight!]
MYSPACE

[ This Message was edited by: tikipaka 2009-03-08 07:41 ]

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-07 7:39 pm   Permalink

Here's a few that I didn't see on the list...

* R4 Smiling Ku/Smiling Big Nose/Flipper - Similar to the OMC Smiling Big Nose/Flipper mug with yellow interior.
* R7 Bamboo Mug - Similar to PMP Bamboo Mug
* R9 Surfing Boy
* Unnumbered Surfing Boy
* Unnumbered?? Double-Walled Coconut - Similar to Steve Crane Coconut
* Unnumbered Coconut (may be R13). Has a dark olive color with a design similar to the Frankoma T7 Coconuts.
* R13A Coconut - Similar to the OMC Coconut.
* R70 Ku - Gloss Black
* Unnumbered Ku - Flat Black (some similarities to the R70).
* R72 Red Clay. Darker brown with a wood-grain finish.
* R73B - Tall Hula Girl (color)
* R74 is another variation of the Ku mug.
* R130 Dragon Mug
* Unnumbered Ku Fogcutter (short).
* Unnumbered Four Faced Tiki Bowl
* Unnumbered Four Faced Tiki Bowl (Short)
* Unnumbered Hula Girl Bowl - All Brown

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-08 07:47 am   Permalink

Ok, so here are a couple of pictures on the girl. Any one else seen this one?

Can bearly read the bottom. But it does say Orchids of Hawaii R-126

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-08 09:09 am   Permalink

i see these from time to time in antique malls.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-08 1:53 pm   Permalink

I've only seen photos of that one - never first-hand.

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-08 7:20 pm   Permalink

What number is this one?

or is it another unnumbered and forgotten OOH mug.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-29 1:47 pm   Permalink

Nothing earth (or Mug) shattering, but an interesting ad from a Aug 16, 1952 NYC Guide book....OGR?

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-30 11:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-08 07:47, tikipaka wrote:
Ok, so here are a couple of pictures on the girl. Any one else seen this one?

I have two of them. I have no other information to give. Hopefully someone else does.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-30 1:12 pm   Permalink

I would say that it's a Kokeshi Doll mug. Similar to the Benihana Kokeshi mug on the right.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation