FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Creating Tiki Ľ Ľ Tiki Carving Ľ Ľ Johnnyp Tut 2/19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 Next Page )
Johnnyp Tut 2/19
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-25 3:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks again for the feedback.

I live in Attica MI, It's a small village directly north (a ways) of Detroit.

I'd love to have a party here, but it is freezing here, 13 degrees this morning. We could wear snowmobile suits and drink Hot Buttered Rum. Wouldn't have a problem with too much ice diluting the drinks and they would stay cold for a while.

Maybe next summer!!!

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-25 5:17 pm   Permalink

A couple more pictures. Sorry I did not load them all at once but with dial up it takes a long, long time.

This is my interpretation of an Abelam maternity figure board. It is rather flat so the details donĎt show up to well in a photograph.

This is a New Guinea flute stopper, the original was short-about 18 inches I think, but I liked the style so I made it about 4.5 feet tall and 5 inches diameter at the thickest. It is almost all open work, and took a while to carve away even with a chainsaw doing 95 percent of the work.

The fish is a skull reliquary styled after a bonito fish- influence is Solomon Islands. About 5 feet long and hanging over the back of the couch as a room divider .

JohnnyP.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-25 6:39 pm   Permalink

More Excellent stuff JohnnyP. We don't get much PNG art created here and it is refreshing to see and especially your highly authentic looking pieces.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 08:24 am   Permalink

Ditto what Benzart said. I love the PNG stuff.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 10:18 am   Permalink

Your carvings are wonderful. I, too, agree with what Ben said...not much PNG stuff around here...Your aging process makes for a very authentic looking carving as well.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 10:19 am   Permalink

P.S. Those Yipwan figures are awesome...makes me want to try one!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 1:48 pm   Permalink

Gman. Your work is cool. I think it was you who hates to sand, I couldnít agree more. Your tripod tiki was hilarious. I made one after I saw yours but in a totally different style, maybe if I get the nerve Iíll post it. I'll do a progress series soon. I do have some pictures of the big ku in the back yard while I was carving (if I can find them)

Benzart You are the master. I donít know how you get your work so precise. Iíve tried even with the sharpest X-acto and still canít get the detail you can. Thanks for the step by steps and a goal to strive for.

BK. I have been rallied to try some clubs per your post. I havenít done any weapons yet, but you are right, it seems like every post card has some on the walls on the background. A yipwan is what started my PNG replication craze. Thanks for the complements. As far as my ageing process. I use really old wood. Seriously, I just use odds and ends of stain and no sealant.

Finkdaddy. Iíve been watching your bar build for a while now itĎs looking good. Wish I had the indoor space for one. I have to use the kitchen. There is lot of great talent on the other side of the lake in Wisconsin.

Chair. I found this online as a sample page of some book on oceanic art. I wish I could remember what book it was. If it looks familiar please reply.

Trader Vic Mask From BOT pg 53. My wife did the painting.

Ceremonial Bowl from Oceanic Art- Anthony Meyer - This has got to be one of the best affordable reference books on Oceanic Art

PalmCityTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 2:04 pm   Permalink

Really nice carvings the presentation in the yard really draws me in. Its almost a shrine.

Can you post a bigger pic of this tall guy?

Carve on.

View Profile of PalmCityTiki Send a personal message to PalmCityTiki  Email PalmCityTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-28 5:42 pm   Permalink

I have a couple 9 ft logs that I've been saving to do some big tikis to frame my doorwall on my deck. I'd like to do something like those at the Trader Vic's in Chicago. There are a couple large / tall tikis outside the restaurant in the hallway from the hotel leading to the entrance of the restaurant. I've searched this site but have not been able to find pictures of those. Can somebody help? Thanks in advance. Does anybody know who originally did these?

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-28 9:52 pm   Permalink

They were done by Barney West, you can tell by the Moai's style. Barney did all big Trader Vic Tikis.

You ARE talking about the Tikis that stood outside by the (closed) back entrance, I assume? Were those moved inside? That would be good, because they were fine examples that were totally wasted where they were standing.

I tried to photograph them in natural light but it was too dark.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-28 10:43 pm   Permalink

Is this one of the tikis you are asking about?

There are quite a few tikis hanging out in the hallways and stairways of Chicago's TV... shame they will be gone soon.
A few more...

There's a bunch more...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 03:16 am   Permalink

Wow !!! Talk about an entrance !!! Awesome efforts and surroundings. Welcome aboard !!! Thanks for sharing such wonderful inspirations and stay in touch.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 05:45 am   Permalink

Lake Surfer,
Your first picture is exactly the one I was thinking about. I appreciate your sharing. I have searched through mulitple websites trying to find those images for over a year now. I figured it would be one you Wisconsinites that would come to the rescue.

BigBroTiki,
Thank you for responding to the question of who originally made it.

JohnnyP.

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-03 10:49 am   Permalink

Thanks McTiki for the welcome!

PalmCityTiki. Which big guy do you mean? The Ku or the the post on the right? If it is the one on the right it is just a support post with a mask. I can post more of the Ku if you want.

Over Thanksgiving I finished a couple of projects and did a few more. I hope you all had a good break. Once this gets under your skin you canít let it go.

A Kwoma mindja mask

I slabbed up a large log a couple years ago and finally made some use of the planks after they dried.

A skull rack from the Sepik River area.

An Asmat shield. I combined features from several shields into one.

A Korewori River figure.

A slit gong in the shape of a crocodile. I was originally going for a reproduction but one too deep cut with a chainsaw wrecked that, so I did a cartoonish version. About 7 feet long. And yes, that is snow ($&*^%).

This is for TCs in the the south. It is the same view as the picture in my first post. Only 6 short months until spring!!!

Hope you enjoy it.
JohnnyP

[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyP 2005-12-03 11:20 ]

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-03 9:26 pm   Permalink

JohnnyP, I'm astounded at the amount and quality of work that you've posted, seemingly having been a lurker or only discovered TC very recently. You've done more authentic quality tikis than many of us here (with a few exceptions)!! I hope you will stick around and show us more. Thanks for joining the TC crowd.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation