FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Creating Tiki Ľ Ľ Tiki Carving Ľ Ľ Johnnyp Tut 2/19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 Next Page )
Johnnyp Tut 2/19
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 4:45 pm   Permalink

Aloha Cuz!
Nice carvings bruddah! keep up the good work and keep posting those pics! I cant wait to see da kine tiki your carving when its pau! Youve got choke talent brah and I love your war clubs too!

Malama Pono!!!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 4:57 pm   Permalink

That guy's shaping up fine JP... I like that fish too. I've always wanted one of those old, original wooden fish signs that were hand-lettered - maybe one from the '40's or '50's - that's kind of what I thought of when I saw your fish. Great work!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 4:27 pm   Permalink

Thank you Raffertiki, Congatiki, and Sam Gambino for the complements.

Chip and Andy, Yes this is my version of the tiki from the Mai-Kai. I was fortunate enough to be able to travel to Fort Lauderdale last year for work, so in my free evening that's were I went. You are so lucky to live so close to such a treasure. The closest tiki bar I have is 6 hours drive away.

Thank you kaha ki'i for your kind words.

I don't have an update yet but will work on him tomorrow and post progress pictures.
Thanks again.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 4:51 pm   Permalink

JP,

How did I miss this post? Right on! This looks like the start of a killer piece, although I have no idea what the Mai Kai tiki looks like. Your chainsaw work is great to look at, it kinda gives me that tingle to go out and fire it up. I can't wait to see the next update. Please post more on Saturday night. I'll try to do the same.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 9:58 pm   Permalink

JohhnyP, now I have to ask. Where did you get the inspiration to start all of this tiki carving? It seems like you had a whole yard full of astoundingly good tikis before you ever started posting here. What got you started, and what got you inspired? There's a good story here, I just know it!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 11:52 pm   Permalink

Wow..this one slipped through the cracks for me! Nice stuff...The two weapons you carved are actually Maori! One is a Kotiate, or disarming club. The Warriors had a way of catching another's club in the groove and "flicking" it out of his opponent's hand...The other is a Patu, or short club. Great start..my second thing ever was a Kotiate, so they have a soft spot in my heart! Nice tiki, too...looks like the New Guinea figure that pre-hurricane faced inward toward the Molokai Bar at the Mai Kai. Cool stuff!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 2:00 pm   Permalink

Hi, here is the update on my version of the Mai-Kai tiki. The wood is elm and is somewhat spalted. It is still good, but every once in while there is a softer spot. I donít think the log would have made it one more summer. It was a balmy 30 degrees today and no sun as usual in Michigan! Perfect tiki weather,

Here is me working on it.

Thanks BK for the insight in to the clubs. I was wondering about the significance of the shape. I did not know if it had anything to do with its use as a weapon or if it was just symbolic in nature. Yes this oneís inspiration was the tiki facing into the bar area. Your club work is exquisite so I appreciate your comments.

AA . Iíll tell the story. Itís not too exciting but Iíll upload a few pictures that my help with the context in the next couple of days. I only have dial up and it takes forever to load pictures.

Gman- Iím looking forward to seeing your update!

Thanks again,

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 2:09 pm   Permalink

JP,

That dude looks like Sasquatch up there in all that snow! I thought I was toughing it today because I had to wear a sweatshirt! Seeing your pics makes me happy it was only "cold" here today!

I am really digging your stuff. You are all over the place, but everything is killer. I like this one the best of all. I think he should get the real "treatment" and be an inside "furniture grade" tiki. I think of all those great carvings you have around your pool and your bad weather and just wonder how they will survive the winter. Hopefully the freezing and unfreezing won't ruin them.

Once again, this piece is slick! I like the long arms and legs and the overall fragility of the piece. Hell, I wish I could make one! You're smokin' me son!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 2:17 pm   Permalink

Damn thats sweet. Love the progress shots
I guess I should stop bitching about the weather and start carving more again.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 4:19 pm   Permalink

You are setting the stage for the big show. He is looking great. Is that Really you all bundled up out there in that white stuff. I heard that stuff is Poison man, ton't get any on you.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 4:23 pm   Permalink

And I thought it was cold today in S. FL...62 for the high and 42 low...you are one dedicated carver JP.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 09:45 am   Permalink

really impressive update on this one Johnny....really proud that it's coming from the
northern territory....can't wait to see more! I think he fits in really well with your
other creations!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 12:58 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple of pictures I could find of the item in question.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-09 4:42 pm   Permalink

Hey guys, thanks a lot,

Gman- Winter is not bad for tikis, they are frozen, what is hard on them is the hot dry summers then the wet spring and falls. Wood that drys out in the summer sucks moisture up like a sponge in the other seasons. I have only sealed a couple of my tikis, the rest are unfinished, weathered naturally and are left exposed to the elements. I have about 15 or so tikis outside in the gardens and a couple are already succumbing to the "fallen idol of Copan" look. They are pretty soft and crumbling, it just adds to the eccentric exotic flare of this little tiki haven. Besides, I can make more.

I hope I can turn this one into "furniture grade" so it can go inside.

Rodeotiki and Congatiki Thanks for the complements.

Benzart and Loki The snow is not poison, just unpleasant. Besides,it would drive me crazy to sit inside all winter. We're not as fortunate as you guys are to have warm winter almost all year. Besides try as I might I have brought the look of the tropics up here, but still have not figured out how to bring the weather.

Sanky,
Thanks for the pictures of the real Mai-Kai tiki. My only reference was a disposable camera photo with flash through the glass. Now I can see detail I could only try to remember have to re-think my scheme with this wonderful information!

Thanks again.
JP

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 5:51 pm   Permalink

Alright! I've waited long enough! Where are the update pics!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation