FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » What special thing do you associate with the Holidays?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What special thing do you associate with the Holidays?
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-24 10:10 am   Permalink

Last night I was given an Deschutes Jubal Ale after my lab, then this morning I had a Gevalia Royal Winter Roast for breakfast (no Kippers tho)

It sort of made me think that most of these sorts of products are new, but reflect an "Old World" traditions of special products made for "The Season"
It seemed like until the late '80s most stuff was just the same product with special packaging.

What sort of thing, good or bad, reminds you of this time of year? TV specials? (That one movie with the kid with the glasses?) Parades? The smell of trees in the house? Yams? Spicy cookies, or products with pumpkins and Cinnamon?

As a child my Granny had tons of classy magazines (Atlantic and New Yorker...)and they had magnificent adds in them that made me feel like christmas was really happening in some big Eastern city, but not in the Mojave Desert, or Huntington Beach. Old saved magazines where the adds for COKE had illustrations of Santa, and it was the only colored thing in the National Geographic...THAT was what floated my boat. It just seemd so warm and sentimental.

what about you?

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-25 06:02 am   Permalink

Honestly?

the only thing that comes to mind this morning is a holiday meal with all of effort and expense that went into it... going very well, everyone enjoying themselves... until my sister, as if on cue, ruins it by causing some sh*t. This year leaving my wife (who slaved for days making everything from scratch) in tears after said sister left. Same sister, every year. Ahhh memories.

Am i bitter? yes!

But it's nothing that mom's sugar cookies can't fix. Or Heat Miser. or Hollyridge Strings recording of Jingle Bell Rock because the Detroit Thanksgiving Parade has used that as it's theme song for as long as I can remember (it's track 9 on Christmas Cocktails Vol.1, if you care) I'm also a sucker for the original Leroy Anderson arrangement of his classic Sleigh Ride.

Most of all? the 1970 disco-matic tree-top star we have that I was lucky enough to get handed down to me.

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-25 11:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-24 10:10, Gigantalope wrote:
What special thing do you associate with the Holidays?

BOOZE!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-25 5:44 pm   Permalink

It's not holiday season for me until I smell baked gingerbread... there's just something about gingerbread cooking in an oven that trumps pumpkin pie for me every time.

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 7:40 pm   Permalink

Our family used to make gingerbread houses when all 6 of us were together at my grandmother's house. She had supplies for all the kids and anyone who wanted to participate. These days the original 6 kids now have a total of 14 kids of their own. It's not really a holiday until a Godzilla-esque extremely violent sneak attack befalls someone's almost completed gingerbread mansion. There are tears, accusations, and usually a dog running around with a ginger roof in its mouth. Several individuals are given a 'time-out', and then the kids give it a try.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 8:05 pm   Permalink

We get christmas beetles around this time of year. To me, they always signal Christmas is just around the corner.

Christmas day means driving around all day in stupendous heat trying to keep all of the family happy. My standard christmas day for the last 5 years has consisted of 6 different family events in the one day. Acting merry, then drving to get to the next one. Act merry and repeat. No booze cause I am driving all day. This year, Boxing Day I am going to the drags - at least I got something to keep me going through the day. I dont mind the family thing, but 6 in the one day is too much.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 9:25 pm   Permalink

What reminds me most of the Holiday season is the distinctive Baltimore phenomenon known as the train garden. The yearly tradition of creating a tiny village beneath the Christmas tree, complete with miniature plastic buildings and inhabitants, encircled by an electric railroad is something that I eagerly anticipate sometime in mid September! Sure to those outside of Maryland and Pennsylvania this phenomenon would be referred to as a model railroad, but unlike a model railroad a Christmas train garden is not concerned with maintaining authentic or consistent scales. It’s not unusual to see a person twice as large as the Hot Wheel cars on the improvised roadways… that’s what makes it fun. Local fire departments and malls spend 6-8 months erecting these displays, that are open to the public for small donations, and you can just go and marvel for hours. This year I’m totally psyched because my son is finally old enough to appreciate train gardens and I’ve already set aside two Saturday’s in December to go and spend some quality time together taking in these tiny worlds. Besides they are as much a holiday tradition in this part of the country as hanging stockings or singing Christmas Carols.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-12-01 07:46 am   Permalink

I'm already getting into the X-mas spirit every morning when I sip my fresh-brewed "Wintry Blend" coffee (from Trader Joes, laced with cloves, cinnamon and other spices); and the creamer I put in it is one of the new creamers in eggnog (for those of us too cheap to get a seasonal latte at starbucks every day) - the new creamers also come in gingerbread and pumpkin.

yay!

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 09:50 am   Permalink

hot lookin'chicks in even hotter lookin' santa lingerie...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 11:14 am   Permalink

What I really miss is Dean Martin's Christmas Special. Jolly old Dean, nice and tight with an Old-Fashioned in his mitt, welcoming a guest like Nat "King" Cole, singing a jazzy "Jingle Bells" while a bunch of long-legged babes in sexy Santa suits dance in the background. That's what I miss.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 4:11 pm   Permalink

I like the jack o' lanterns.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 5:24 pm   Permalink

did I mention the hot chicks in sexy santa ensembles??

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 11:52 pm   Permalink

Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer and the Misfits!! Loved them then, love them now. Last year's Misfit Mantle:

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-02 12:32 am   Permalink

Now that I've spent another Thanksgiving in Rhode Island, I'll always associate the holidays with Nibbles the Giant Termite disguised as Rudolph:

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-02 02:19 am   Permalink

all my family being drunk and asking me to play the guitars...

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation