FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Is there any better smell than...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Is there any better smell than...
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 06:48 am   Permalink

new lauhala matting or
Gosling's Black Seal rum?

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 07:23 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:12 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 08:14 am   Permalink

FRESH MINT!!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-11-26 08:24 am   Permalink

10 Cane rum also smells wonderful - much smoother than the other rums in my bar collection.

VErn

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 09:06 am   Permalink

That first blast of Australian Oak smoke from the chinese ovens when you enter Trader Vic's or the Mai Kai...but fresh lauhala is right on up there on the roster, too...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 11:52 am   Permalink

DURIANS!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-26 8:01 pm   Permalink

Mmm...fresh thatch,
Or
The mint sprig in a Trader Vic's mai tai!

View Profile of Scottiki Send a personal message to Scottiki  Email Scottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 9:18 pm   Permalink

Plumeria Flowers off the tree in my backyard.

cynfulcynner, saying Durian is not even right..... I lived in malaysia for 6 months and know all about that "smell". They can call it the "King of Fruits" all they want, but it smells like an outhouse. Both Korea and Thailand had it too. Bad, bad, bad, stuff. I got bad flashbacks just seeing that picture.....lol

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 5:38 pm   Permalink

AHHH! Durian! We tried some in Thailand. The Thai say "Smell like hell, taste like heaven" We thought it should be "Smell like Sh@#, taste like sh#@!" Nasty stuff. I believe its a ruse to laugh at tourists "silly tourists, eating yucky fruit!". Dead set, they even have No durian signs, like you would have no smoking signs, in the hotles it is that bad.

Back on topic, I love:

The smell of freshly worked pine wood

Mums spag bol (spaghetti bolognaise)

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 6:23 pm   Permalink

Rotting Noni fruit laying out on Marquesan farm racks. (Since it's discovery as New Age medicine it has replaced Copra there.)

Actually, that is the worst smell I ever encountered. Fresh mint would be my fave, too. And, on a good day, the smell of arriving in Hawaii.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 6:46 pm   Permalink

I love the smell of cedar, my whole house has a hint of cedar too it after a good day of carving and sanding.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 7:18 pm   Permalink

Coco-butter lotion.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chrisc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-28 05:15 am   Permalink

Re: DURIANS

I don't think they smell bad at all. Yes, the smell is a bit insistant, but I can tell it's actually of vegetable origin and only pretending to be something disgusting. I even fancy I can detect the sweet underlying elements of strawberry, almond and banana that make up the flavour of the fruit.

CHRIS

View Profile of Chrisc Send a personal message to Chrisc  Goto the website of Chrisc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 11:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-27 18:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
And, on a good day, the smell of arriving in Hawaii.

This reminds me of a few lines from a book I quoted from a while back, the imagery in which sticks with me very strongly:
But I must admit it was wonderful to fly to Hawaii in a Boeing 707 in 1969 before it became so touristy. It was like being in the start of a Bond movie, the one where Ursula Andress came up out of the sea in that white swimsuit. The whole island smelled as if it had been sprayed over with the most wonderful subtle perfume. It was quite heady.
(original thread):
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16130&forum=1&hilite=beatles

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 12:30 am   Permalink

... steaks grilling on red oak.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation