FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 06:37 am   Permalink

The time has finally arrived to start our first carving...
My wife and I have been collecting coconut logs from Hurricane Wilma and we've been doing our homework on tools (Thanks Ben), and finally made the first cuts...I must admit, debarking was a serious workout, even with the cold front that blew through South Florida I worked up a sweat. I ate a few asprin in anticipation of a sore back, pecs and biceps...

My tiki is 24" x 7"

Wife's 28" x 7"

My father was visiting for the weekend and decided to start one...hopefully he will be joining TC soon and will post his progress...we sent him home with his Moai

Being as these are our first attemps at carving, and the lack of talent we really are just tring to learn what each of the tools do...I have decided to make my first tiki entirely with hand tools. The one lesson i learned was to carve deep, and removing the wood from the mouth was tedious...

After a full afternoon of carving with wife, and father (a great social event)we decided to go to the Mai-Kai for dinner and drinks...it's wonderful living only a half hour from such a special place...

After two shrunken heads, two jet pilots and a hot buttered rum, all the pain of carving had left the body...we all woke the next day, talking about dreaming of our tikis and what we needed to work on...(this is addicting stuff).

So the progression of our first tikis will commence...i really have a new found appreciation of those of you who make carving tikis look so easy...i had no idea it would be as challenging as it is...and judging by our designs and skill we have a long way to go...but it is fun, and we are learning fast...

Some of the pit falls i have encountered...i need to make the facial features much larger...once the wood is taken away, i was left with small eyes...my angles are starting to come as i experiment with cutting and hopefully will enhance some of the features better...(mine left, wife right)

Her tiki has nice releif, mine will have more as i dig deeper...more progress photos to follow...

Any comments are much appreciated...i only learn from wonderful carvers like you guys...
(edited to fix photo codes)

[ This Message was edited by: Loki 2006-09-06 06:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Loki 2006-10-13 17:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Loki 2008-04-21 07:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: loki 2008-05-11 14:46 ]

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 06:47 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Loki 2005-11-27 07:35 ]

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 06:52 am   Permalink

Very cool carvings. Looks like you're having fun!!

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy 2005-11-27 06:52 ]

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 06:55 am   Permalink

Keep at it Loki! They look good so far. As you get further into it, try to imagine having several carving layers, or angular features. This will help keep your carvings from looking flat. Great stuff so far. Great job. Another addicted carver!!!

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 07:40 am   Permalink

nice work for the first time around...for both of you....and doggone it...i'm gonna put on my
winter pants right now and drag my last basswood log from the garage into my basement....I can't
wait till spring so I'll put up with the log chips in the house...I just hope my wife will put up with it.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 07:43 am   Permalink

Way to GOOO Loki, I guess you loved it so much you posted it twice, HappyHappyHappy.
I am SO Excited to see you And your wife digging into carving tikis the way you are, that is SO Nice and you are doing it the right way. I see excellent toolz (great 1/2 price deal), and both tikis are excellent beginnings. You two will progress quickly, working together the way you are.
Take your time and use each chisel and gouge often to find out what each one does. It will take experimentation at forst but soon you will be confidently reaching for just the right tool to get just that look.
Thanks for posting this as I know how Hard it is the first time. Keep up the great work and show us Lots of pictures and Most of all, ASK if you need to know Anything.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 07:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-27 07:40, congatiki wrote:
I'll put up with the log chips in the house...I just hope my wife will put up with it.

Isn't it nice having a wife who will put up with your craziness? I don't know what I would do if mine didn't. I doubt she understands me, but at least she knows I need to do my thing!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmCityTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 11:03 am   Permalink

Great start. Look at the previous thead

What was your first tiki creation?

You started way above mine.

Carve on and thanks for sharing

View Profile of PalmCityTiki Send a personal message to PalmCityTiki  Email PalmCityTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 11:47 am   Permalink

Excellent start! Got all the tools, an' hammerin' away. Stuff is looking real good, keep postin'.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 12:49 pm   Permalink

I think its great that you and your family were all able to carve together. That is the spirit we all need more of.

For first carvings they are looking great.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tfisherart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 3:49 pm   Permalink

Great job, as you mentioned start big ,you can take away but you can't put back.

http://www.thomsart.com

View Profile of tfisherart Send a personal message to tfisherart  Email tfisherart Goto the website of tfisherart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 4:38 pm   Permalink

started to work on the layers today, i still need to take away more wood to show the depth, but he is starting to come alive now...still doing it all with hand tools...my wife is starting to use some electric tools...(recipracating saw)...will post pic when i can... we are comparing notes...i like what the electric tools do, but am enjoying the hand tools...i feel more in touch with my tiki...weird i know...will post progress reports as they happen...

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 4:44 pm   Permalink

Cool stuff, great quality for a first piece so far.

Great to see the missus so into it as well. Maybe your dad too? Sounds like your family got it bad...

Cant wait to hear and see more from ya

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 9:22 pm   Permalink

The cuts look really clean, Loki. You and your wife are off to a good start. Keep us posted.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 9:47 pm   Permalink

Great beginning! Can't wait to see it through. You'll be carve-aholics in no time!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation